Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Migliore fires agent (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54417)

notsosuperagent 01-29-2009 06:52 PM

Migliore fires agent

Here I thought Jose Amy was doing a good job. Just reaffirms the lack of job secutity on the racetrack. We are all independent cotractors, only as good as our last race.

lamboguy 01-29-2009 07:08 PM

when he went out to californina he lost his first calls on mike hushion to channing hill

LIH 01-30-2009 09:18 AM

Doing a good job????

There is no doubt Jose Amy is a nice, well desearving person, yet when I see a rider of Migliore's talent, ability and stature with one or no mounts days at a time his agent is obviously NOT doing a well enough job. I know Migliore has a goal of achieving 5000 wins before he leaves the game, and doing it at the speed Jose had him at was just not going to get him to where he wants to be. I know Richard Migliore is not happy unless he is riding, and better yet, winning on a daily basis.

I for one wish him all the best

notsosuperagent 01-30-2009 09:59 AM

Keep in mind that Richie is very picky, the winter meet here is inundated with cheap claiming races. These are not the type of horses he's crazy about riding. Luck plays a huge role in this game, he won his first Breeders Cup race of his career with Amy, granted it was a California trainer. Jose Amy works hard, but did have his hands tied a little here.

LIH 01-30-2009 07:57 PM

You have got to be kidding me. Look, not interested in starting up any debate here. The last thing Richard Migliore is is, "picky". He is a seasoned veteran who has more than paid his dues. Jose is one of the nicest agents out there, but in a business where one uses PP's as a guide, it is all about performing. If you are saying that Jose wanted to put Mig on five 25 to one shots every day, and Mig wouldn't be happy with that, please, point out a rider that would be. We have jocks in the room like Studart and Davis to ride those to get them around, fill races and get these bug boys their experience. You use Mig's breeders cup win?? Do your homework. Mig has ridden Desert Code since his third start when he broke his maiden at Hollywood Park when Ron Anderson had Migliore's book. He has ridden Desert Code on every winner thru three agents. Tom Knust was Richard last California agent. I am a friend of Rich's and happen to know that Jose never even spoke to David Hoffmans. It was a relationship with David Hoffmans that Mig secured the mount on Code, at 36 to 1 I might add. Jocks were not exactly knocking down the door to ride him, and may I add, to Mr. Hoffmans own testament during the post race interview, that race was Migs shining moment, his knowledge of the horse, and sense of what was going on inthat race is what beat Diabolical. No one wins on CODE that day except Richard Migliore who had the common sense to read from code that he could not possibly keep up the insane early fractions. Code wanted no part of being rushed off his feet. From knowing his animal, and seeing what was going on in front of him, Rich sat, and waited, and I am assuming he prayed that Code would rise to the occasion come turn for home. Code had won three races down the hill before that. Mig knew exactly what he was doing. So did Code, and it made me cash one of the biggest bets of my life.

Instead of knocking the fact that Mig has made a change, perhaps you could see that Mig gave Jose a huge opportunity giving him his book, and a chance at making some big money with a high profile rider. The reins were in his hands, I don't blame Mig for not wanting more winners. Show me a rider who doesn't want that.

Thanks for listening.

JustRalph 01-31-2009 02:26 AM

welcome to the new guys......! :ThmbUp:

LIH 01-31-2009 08:33 AM

thanks Ralph,

L

notsosuperagent 02-01-2009 06:46 AM

Wow. Six of thirty-four is a bad percentage. Desert Code was already acknowledged as being Migliore's mount. Kind of funny how he thanked Jose Amy in the DRF after that race.

LIH 02-01-2009 08:07 PM

ok, i am not going to respond directly to your post until I see a direct link to the quote in the DRF where he thanked Jose Amy for the mount on Desert Code. Look hard, for a long time, because you will not find one, due to the fact that it never happened.

Secondly, if you expect Mig to be happy with the fact he is not even in the top ten in the standings, then I guess you don't have a very good idea of the mentality of what is like to be a top rider in this game.

notsosuperagent 02-02-2009 07:16 AM

He thanked him, and he should have. A top rider doesn't choose to ride 34 horse in the month of January on the inner track. That is what is known as a part-time rider. Before you get excited about Mr. Fantasy, Jose Amy booked that mount.

notsosuperagent 02-02-2009 08:44 AM

By the way, 10/27/08. Anytime a jock mentions his agent as working hard, that's there way of thanking them. This is the first and last time I'll respond to one of your demands, so I hope you enjoyed it. Migliore's ability as a rider easily puts him in the top five of this colony, but when the leading rider has 100 more mounts than him, the agent has his hands tied. As close as you say you are with him, he won't share his business with you. When he fires Drew M. in the next six months, maybe you'll be next. Best of luck, don't make any large investments though.

supercap 02-02-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIH
You have got to be kidding me. Look, not interested in starting up any debate here. The last thing Richard Migliore is is, "picky". He is a seasoned veteran who has more than paid his dues. Jose is one of the nicest agents out there, but in a business where one uses PP's as a guide, it is all about performing. If you are saying that Jose wanted to put Mig on five 25 to one shots every day, and Mig wouldn't be happy with that, please, point out a rider that would be. We have jocks in the room like Studart and Davis to ride those to get them around, fill races and get these bug boys their experience. You use Mig's breeders cup win?? Do your homework. Mig has ridden Desert Code since his third start when he broke his maiden at Hollywood Park when Ron Anderson had Migliore's book. He has ridden Desert Code on every winner thru three agents. Tom Knust was Richard last California agent. I am a friend of Rich's and happen to know that Jose never even spoke to David Hoffmans. It was a relationship with David Hoffmans that Mig secured the mount on Code, at 36 to 1 I might add. Jocks were not exactly knocking down the door to ride him, and may I add, to Mr. Hoffmans own testament during the post race interview, that race was Migs shining moment, his knowledge of the horse, and sense of what was going on inthat race is what beat Diabolical. No one wins on CODE that day except Richard Migliore who had the common sense to read from code that he could not possibly keep up the insane early fractions. Code wanted no part of being rushed off his feet. From knowing his animal, and seeing what was going on in front of him, Rich sat, and waited, and I am assuming he prayed that Code would rise to the occasion come turn for home. Code had won three races down the hill before that. Mig knew exactly what he was doing. So did Code, and it made me cash one of the biggest bets of my life.

Instead of knocking the fact that Mig has made a change, perhaps you could see that Mig gave Jose a huge opportunity giving him his book, and a chance at making some big money with a high profile rider. The reins were in his hands, I don't blame Mig for not wanting more winners. Show me a rider who

Thanks for listening.

I agree with most of what you are saying except the fact that "Mig was the only one who wins on him that day" . The horse ran a great race that day but, you could have put a half dozen other jocks on this horse and won. He got hurt a few years back and lost a mount in the breeders cup , that horse went on to win the race. You need to give more credit to the animal less to the jock.

LIH 02-02-2009 10:29 AM

Demands are not what I am asking politely, I was looking for proof of what was said. You can't simply put words down on a post, and not back them up with the document you said you read, I believe you said it was the DRF,you quoted Mr. Migliore in, as I have yet to find it, and was looking for your help so as to respond properly to your post. This is a message board, where all of us registered are allowed to post our thoughts and our opinions. I respect your right to do so, until fact turns to fiction. Your quote was that Mr. Migliore thanked Jose Amy for the mount on Desert Code. I responded to your inacuracy. If Richard Migliore thanked his agent in the general sense for his part of the team that is because he wanted to, because he has class, and that shows that he does APPRIECIATE hard work done on his behalf. Thanking him does not mean job security for life when you have not brought the business to the table, so your point of this whole post was meant to knock Mig, and I responded to it. This is your right to do so, but I happen to think you are offbase IN doing so. I happen to know that Mig is thankful for any agent who works hard for him, and earns his 25%. I know Mig is thankful for the effort and hard work Mr. Amy did for him. This does not change the fact that he felt he needed a change, and that he was not happy with the business that Mr. Amy was able to hussle up. You refered in your original post that Mr. Amy's hands were tied due to Mig's not wanting to ride certain kinds of horses. I know that to be completely not true. Mig will ride any horse, at any level, any time, WHEN IT IS LIVE! Expecting a rider to be happy to have a mount on a 50 to 1 shot just for the sake of saying you got him a mount is ludicrous. If Jose didn't name Mig on these kinds of mounts, it was good thinking on his part. Every rider in this game rides horses that they would prefer to sit one out on, but usually it is for tried and true customers, or doing so for new clients with the hope that you will be thanked in some way down the road with horses better spotted where they can win. I believe for the majority of racehorses, most can win races, it's just a matter of where they are entered. No rider likes only being given those types of mounts, only to be looked past when the animal is finally 3-1 in the right spot, and suddenly your past over for the big man on campus. Riders want to win races, it only benifits the agent when they do so. I am assuming from your username, you are perhaps an agent? Your not so super one? I do happen to think that agents that go around bashing riders won't be popular very long, and there is nothing worse in my opinion of one biting the hand that feeds him by this type of action. Jose Amy was given a wonderful oppurtunity, I feel he should be thankful for Mig giving him an oppurtunity. He had only one other reputable jockey before Mig. This is how the game works. He will be able to build off of that. I remember Mike Sellito being given the same oppurtunity by Mig when he took Mig's book having only had Frank Alvarado prior. His success with Mig led him to a carreer as an agent. He went on to Jose Santos, and Desormeux afterward winning two Derbys. Things happen, all jocks make changes, and most times for reasons that are private, but usually, it is for the simple fact that either party wants to win more races, and also therefore earn more money. I can think of many agents who dumped jocks in search of a higher profile rider.

I am Mig's friend, and am not quite sure what he would fire me from, so, I can only imagine as to what you meant from that statement. As far as getting excited about Mr. Fantasy, he's a great horse, who wouldn't be excited about watching him run, and the reason Mig was lucky enough to be sitting on him that day was thanks to Kiaran McLaughlin, Terry Finley, and Drew securing the mount.

OK, enough said on this matter I imagine,
Good luck to you,
L

the little guy 02-02-2009 10:34 AM

This is good stuff. I wish I could chime in.

LIH 02-02-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercap
I agree with most of what you are saying except the fact that "Mig was the only one who wins on him that day" . The horse ran a great race that day but, you could have put a half dozen other jocks on this horse and won. He got hurt a few years back and lost a mount in the breeders cup , that horse went on to win the race. You need to give more credit to the animal less to the jock.

I agree wholeheartedly at times that too much is focused on the riders, and not enough on the horses, and understand the point of your post. BUt in this instance, I do feel that Mig made all the difference on that particular day. DC had always shown speed, and I simply feel that any other rider not knowing DC in the manner which Mig did would naturally have sent him as per his prior form. The ride was timed incredibly as was DESERT CODES EFFORT AND KICK ASS RUN BECAUSE HE WAS IN KICK ASS SHAPE THANKS TO DAVE HOFFMANS, and the two had won three prior races down the hill. Migs knowledge of his horse, and the course made the difference this day. I am well aware of the fact that most winning horses on any given day could win with a top rider from any venue. I just feel that in this instance, I was glad Mig was in the saddle.

Good Luck
L