Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sarge: "Alydar would have won the Triple Crown if he knew how to change leads" (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64939)

Zippy Chippy 12-22-2009 05:43 PM

Sarge: "Alydar would have won the Triple Crown if he knew how to change leads"

I thought this was a very interesting discussion he was just having.

How much quicker would your stretch be if you did change leads?

bisket 12-22-2009 05:46 PM

like day and night quicker

Robert Goren 12-22-2009 06:01 PM

Figuring out how to get a horse to change leads can move a horse up several class. I believe Jack Van Berg's dad use to claim a lot of horses that wouldn't and he had some success at getting them to do it. No, I don't know his secret.

Zippy Chippy 12-22-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisket
like day and night quicker

In a stretch run do you think it could be matter a couple of lengths? It must be frustrating for trainers that can't get great horses to change leads.

Show Me the Wire 12-22-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goren
Figuring out how to get a horse to change leads can move a horse up several class. I believe Jack Van Berg's dad use to claim a lot of horses that wouldn't and he had some success at getting them to do it. No, I don't know his secret.

Buzz them and snap their necks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bisket 12-22-2009 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy
In a stretch run do you think it could be matter a couple of lengths? It must be frustrating for trainers that can't get great horses to change leads.

more than that. this is hard to believe. jocks can get horses to change leads alot of times by yanking them in the direction of the lead you want them to change to.

affirmedny 12-22-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy
I thought this was a very interesting discussion he was just having.

How much quicker would your stretch be if you did change leads?

And I would have been in the major leagues if I could hit a good curveball...but I can't, so I'm not........

andymays 12-22-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affirmedny
And I would have been in the major leagues if I could hit a good curveball...but I can't, so I'm not........

For me it was the friggin slider!

bisket 12-22-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

for me it was the beer and whiskey ;)

Robert Goren 12-23-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

For me it was that 70 mph fastball.:D

Robert Goren 12-23-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisket
for me it was the beer and whiskey ;)

That didn't stop Mickey Mantle.

BombsAway Bob 12-23-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goren
That didn't stop Mickey Mantle.

Yeah, it did...

OTM Al 12-23-2009 09:22 AM

Jorge Velazquez told me the same thing. Loved the horse but said he was kind of dumb. Sometimes he would get him to switch but then the horse would switch right back. He really would fight Jorge over this. Can't remember what race it was but he said that once he got him to switch and it was an easy win.

Valuist 12-23-2009 09:48 AM

Yeah and if Steve Bartman doesn't interfere with the foul ball, the Cubs win the 2003 World Series, or at least get there.

Maybe, maybe not.

Fact is, Alydar didn't change leads. I'm sure there's some excuse somewhere from the Easy Goer fans that he should've beaten Sunday Silence every race.

He didn't. End of story. Reality always trumps fantasy.

Overlay 12-23-2009 10:17 AM

Perhaps Alydar could have won the Triple Crown, but to me the situation that year did not have a "loser" (except perhaps in monetary terms). Affirmed won it, but I don't see how you can think of him without favorably remembering Alydar, also. (The way they're usually mentioned in the same breath, it's almost as if "Affirmedandalydar" were the name of a single horse.)