Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   WV Derby (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177784)

VeryOldMan 08-06-2023 04:23 PM

WV Derby

I'm hoping our local MNR expert can illuminate - what on earth is going on with 3 entries at least (:5::10::14:)? Two 4,000 claimers - who've lost by open lengths - and a lifetime 0-20 maiden. WTF?! I want them coming back alive - what is going on here?

cj 08-06-2023 04:39 PM

Two scratches, but none of the three mentioned among them right now.

tbwinner 08-06-2023 05:37 PM

Weirder things have happened at the Mountain!!!

My guess was that $3,500 purse money for a last place finish is better than 2nd or 3rd money in a cheap claimer but then I seen the entry and starter fees....so I'm as clueless as you now.

mountainman 08-07-2023 01:31 PM

Cinderella exists only in fairy tales. I HATE no hope interlopers. For one reason, it's just NEVER smart to waste races, even with sound thoroughbreds. For another, these 99-1 party crashers can EASILY alter an outcome by impeding a legit contender. Believe me, IT HAS HAPPENED in our Governor's stakes.

I literally bit my tongue last night to keep from unloading on the connections of those entrants. To assail them as deserved would merely have squandered precious time better spent on relevant pre-race analysis.

PA.race.fan 08-07-2023 03:44 PM

Wv detby

So, did mngmt feel like having this event ran on Sunday Vs Saturday was a success? I seen a 12% increase in parimutuel wagering, a nice crowd, but still wonder how food, gambling, hotel rooms, etc did?

v j stauffer 08-07-2023 04:58 PM

A "ROOTIN - TOOTIN" win for Red Route One!

affirmedny 08-07-2023 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA.race.fan (Post 2894645)
So, did mngmt feel like having this event ran on Sunday Vs Saturday was a success? I seen a 12% increase in parimutuel wagering, a nice crowd, but still wonder how food, gambling, hotel rooms, etc did?

I don't think they can judge with all the rain they had.

mountainman 08-08-2023 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by affirmedny (Post 2894736)
I don't think they can judge with all the rain they had.

The move to Sunday did help business. How much? You're correct, sir, the rain prevented definitive assessment. Mainly because the grass got cancelled.

It was a strange derby card that I never completely got a handle on. Either behind the scenes or in front of the camera.

MJC922 08-08-2023 04:20 PM

As for the mgmt at this venue.. not having rolling doubles is bad enough but not even having a double leading into their biggest race of the year -- wow. smh