Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pooping in the Post Parade (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107337)

devilsbag 10-09-2013 04:57 PM

Pooping in the Post Parade

Something that has been debated by horsemen and horseplayers for years is whether a horse pooping in the post parade is a positive or a negative indicator.

Some say the great Man o' War pooped heavily before the 1919 Sanford (reportedly as a result of eating Hattie's fried chicken) and then lost to Upset. Others point to Secretariat, who paused during the Belmont Stakes post parade and left a large deposit near the sixteenth pole. That pile was of course freeze dried and is now on display in the National Museum of Racing.

It's a topic that I haven't seen discussed in print since an article by Ray Taulbot in the August 1957 issue of American Turf Monthly, which advertised his short lived poop calculator, the predecessor to the pace calculator.

Stillriledup 10-09-2013 05:00 PM

I would imagine they feel better after doing "number 2" so i take it as a positive. ;)

usedtolovetvg 10-09-2013 05:04 PM

Never bet them. They just got rid of all the stuff that makes them run fast.

wisconsin 10-09-2013 05:08 PM

No choice for neutral?

Hoofless_Wonder 10-09-2013 05:13 PM

In Bill Veeck's book "Thirty Tons a Day", I believe he mentions that on average horses will poop seven times a day. If true, then I'm not sure I'd buy into the "horse must feel better" argument, 'cause when I'm pooping seven times a day I feel like, well, poop. :blush:

badcompany 10-09-2013 05:19 PM

I find it to be an appalling example of anti-social behavior :mad:

Zydeco 10-09-2013 05:39 PM

But wouldn't the horse be carrying less weight if he let go in the post parade? :)

098poi 10-09-2013 05:39 PM

It doesn't matter either way. Now texting and pooping is always a bad sign.

Robert Fischer 10-09-2013 05:42 PM

Fix yourself a strong cup of coffee, and have a few cups.

See what happens.

Hajck Hillstrom 10-09-2013 05:46 PM

Fine in the post parade ...

... until they pass the clubhouse turn, but not particularly fond of the passage on their way to load in the gate ... I'm sure it is a healthy release, but I know I don't want to run a mile (or 5 furlongs for that matter) immediately post bowel movement, and my understanding is that the energy utilized by a horse for this process is far greater.

I won't cancel the wager, but I don't find myself enthused by the process. :rolleyes:

Dave Schwartz 10-09-2013 05:46 PM

Do horses drink coffee?

:lol:

infrontby1 10-09-2013 05:53 PM

I mean, think about it for a moment; if you just pooped, would you be completely up to to running a 100 meter dash? I know I would just want to hit the couch and watch some races

Robert Fischer 10-09-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Do horses drink coffee?

:lol:

maybe Mr. Ed :p

When they get stimulated, and ready to run before a race it can have that effect.

horses4courses 10-09-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usedtolovetvg
Never bet them. They just got rid of all the stuff that makes them run fast.

Maybe it's time to lobby the DRF for a new PP notation?

TAD = took a dump between parade ring and gate

Tom 10-09-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infrontby1
I mean, think about it for a moment; if you just pooped, would you be completely up to to running a 100 meter dash? I know I would just want to hit the couch and watch some races

I run a lot faster on my way to do the deed than coming back from it.
Just saying.