Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   police shooting death - black Somali imigrant (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139703)

davew 07-20-2017 10:39 PM

police shooting death - black Somali imigrant

and white Australian - I wonder if the officer will be charged - they are not talking

woodtoo 07-21-2017 11:03 AM

Is this the Minnesota police shooting?

barahona44 07-21-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodtoo (Post 2197578)
Is this the Minnesota police shooting?

Unless there was another recent case of a Somali immigrant police officer shooting a white Australian , I would have to assume so.

Both officers body cams and the police video camera were turned off.The woman killed was the one who called the police reporting a possible sexual assault going on near her location.Really odd case.

woodtoo 07-21-2017 11:33 AM

I assumed she was a white American, not Australian. Has the cop talked yet or is he pleading the fifth?

barahona44 07-21-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodtoo (Post 2197583)
I assumed she was a white American, not Australian. Has the cop talked yet or is he pleading the fifth?

Well, you plead the fifth when you are under oath. The officer offered his condolences to the family, but I think they're still investigating and limiting what's being released.Also, I made an error in my last post.The patrol car camera was on but didn't capture the shooting.

Clocker 07-21-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodtoo (Post 2197583)

She is identified as a white Australian. News stories I have seen do not say anything about her immigration status, but do say that she was engaged to an American living in Minneapolis.

The story is full of oddities and questions. The woman called 911 about something suspicious. When the police car pulled up, she was outside waiting and walked toward the car on the driver's wearing pajamas. By some reports, she had already started talking to the driver. The officer sitting in the passenger seat fired through the open driver's window, shooting one or more times in front of his partner.

Noor, the shooter, was a Somali immigrant as a youngster and had 21 months on the force. His partner had one year experience. That pairing strikes me as highly questionable policy, but those here with actual experience can provide more info. The partner has been interviewed by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension but the shooter under advice of counsel has declined to be interviewed.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/07/mohamed-noor-justine-damond-ruszczyk-minneapolis-police-officer-somali-mohammed/

chadk66 07-21-2017 01:31 PM

This guy would have never been hired except for the "diversity" policy this police dept. adopted.

tucker6 07-21-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2197605)
She is identified as a white Australian. News stories I have seen do not say anything about her immigration status, but do say that she was engaged to an American living in Minneapolis.

The story is full of oddities and questions. The woman called 911 about something suspicious. When the police car pulled up, she was outside waiting and walked toward the car on the driver's wearing pajamas. By some reports, she had already started talking to the driver. The officer sitting in the passenger seat fired through the open driver's window, shooting one or more times in front of his partner.

Noor, the shooter, was a Somali immigrant as a youngster and had 21 months on the force. His partner had one year experience. That pairing strikes me as highly questionable policy, but those here with actual experience can provide more info. The partner has been interviewed by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension but the shooter under advice of counsel has declined to be interviewed.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/07/mohamed-noor-justine-damond-ruszczyk-minneapolis-police-officer-somali-mohammed/

The other officer (driver) in his statement said that they came onto the scene with lights out because they feared an ambush, even though other police people have stated that the 911 call didn't warrant any cause for ambush concerns nor lights out. The driver also has stated that Noor had his gun in his lap as they entered the alley. He goes on to say that the victim approached his window immediately after a loud bang was heard, but other witnesses say she was already talking to the driver when the loud bang occurred and she was shot. Over all, it is apparent that:

1. neither of these guys is fit to be an officer.
2. The left wing vendetta against cops is causing cops to be trigger happy.
3. Noor is going to prison. He shot an unarmed person from a car through another officer. How can an officer draw his weapon before even getting to the scene.
4. The driver is trying to mitigate the damage by claiming that the victim approached the door immediately after a loud bang, but it is just as likely that Noor got spooked while she was speaking to the driver.
5. We have a long way to go with getting police officers to properly use cameras and have them on at all times. They need to automate the use and take it out of the officers' hands.

A real bad look for Minneapolis police.

Clocker 07-21-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker6 (Post 2197623)

Looks like the city is going to wash its hands of the mess and throw the cop under the bus.

The chief of police is just back from vacation. There has apparently been little internal investigation to date (the guy has refused to talk to internal affairs). Based on the information released to date by the state investigators (the guy has refused to talk to them also), the chief said:

Quote:

“Based on the publicly released information from the BCA, this should not have happened,” Harteau said, referring to a preliminary investigative report released earlier in the week. “On our squad cars, you will find the words ‘To protect with courage and serve with compassion.’ This did not happen.

“I believe the actions in question go against who we are as a department, how we train and the expectations we have for our officers. These were the actions and judgments of one individual,” she said.
http://www.startribune.com/justine-d...zyk/435651393/

tucker6 07-21-2017 02:37 PM

Yeah, Noor is being hung out to dry. Rightfully so imo. I think having two new officers together is also a bad idea. The driver is just as bad as Noor. He had a responsibility to warn Noor to put his gun away. He should have had lights on, and when Noor got fidgety about an ambush, should have tried to buck him up.

I still can't believe that any officer would fire through his partner from a car seat. That's insane. Almost like the guy has PTSD or something.

barahona44 07-21-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker6 (Post 2197623)
The other officer (driver) in his statement said that they came onto the scene with lights out because they feared an ambush, even though other police people have stated that the 911 call didn't warrant any cause for ambush concerns nor lights out. The driver also has stated that Noor had his gun in his lap as they entered the alley. He goes on to say that the victim approached his window immediately after a loud bang was heard, but other witnesses say she was already talking to the driver when the loud bang occurred and she was shot. Over all, it is apparent that:

1. neither of these guys is fit to be an officer.
2. The left wing vendetta against cops is causing cops to be trigger happy.
3. Noor is going to prison. He shot an unarmed person from a car through another officer. How can an officer draw his weapon before even getting to the scene.
4. The driver is trying to mitigate the damage by claiming that the victim approached the door immediately after a loud bang, but it is just as likely that Noor got spooked while she was speaking to the driver.
5. We have a long way to go with getting police officers to properly use cameras and have them on at all times. They need to automate the use and take it out of the officers' hands.

I believe there are some concerns from people in body cameras on law enforcement.

https://www.cato.org/blog/police-bod...es-cops-public

BTW, Cato is a libertarian organization, so you have to keep in mind their ideas about government and privacy.

tucker6 07-21-2017 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barahona44 (Post 2197655)
I believe there are some concerns from people in body cameras on law enforcement.

https://www.cato.org/blog/police-bod...es-cops-public

BTW, Cato is a libertarian organization, so you have to keep in mind their ideas about government and privacy.

I can appreciate concerns, but then make body cameras non-public records for all cases where no crime is being committed. No one asks for records from intersection cameras, so why do people need to ask for records for body cameras. Make them off limits except for when claims on made for specific issues.

Jeff P 07-21-2017 08:42 PM

Minneapolis police chief resigns following fatal shooting of Australian woman:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/21...ian-woman.html

Quote:

The Minneapolis police chief resigned on Friday in the wake of the fatal shooting of an Australian woman by a police officer on July 15.

Chief Janee Harteau resigned a day after making her initial remarks on the death of 40-year-old Justine Damond.

Harteau quit her position at the request of Mayor Betsy Hodges, according to a statement from the city.

-jp

Clocker 07-21-2017 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff P (Post 2197834)
Minneapolis police chief resigns following fatal shooting of Australian woman:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/21...ian-woman.html

To jump to conclusions, it looks like she may have acted too quickly and politically incorrectly in assigning blame to the officer that actually did the shooting. Somalis are a double-secret protected species in Minneapolis.

I have relatives in the Twin Cities, and know from personal experience that Minneapolis rivals San Francisco as the moonbat capital of the country. On top of that, Somalis are a special flavor of minority there, as the city is #1 in the nation in accepting Somali refugees. Mayor Betsy Hodges, who fired the chief, gave her State of the City speech this year at a mosque in the city. The chief's statement of individual responsibility doesn't fly in a snowflake city like that.

boxcar 07-21-2017 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2197850)
To jump to conclusions, it looks like she may have acted too quickly and politically incorrectly in assigning blame to the officer that actually did the shooting. Somalis are a double-secret protected species in Minneapolis.

I have relatives in the Twin Cities, and know from personal experience that Minneapolis rivals San Francisco as the moonbat capital of the country. On top of that, Somalis are a special flavor of minority there, as the city is #1 in the nation in accepting Somali refugees. Mayor Betsy Hodges, who fired the chief, gave her State of the City speech this year at a mosque in the city. The chief's statement of individual responsibility doesn't fly in a snowflake city like that.

This "protected species" may never see the inside of a courtroom, let alone do jail time for murder.