Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   End of the Patriot era? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142630)

Diagoras 01-05-2018 02:23 PM

End of the Patriot era?

Inner Dirt 01-05-2018 02:31 PM

I don't understand why this is news, both the coach and quarterback who may be the best ever are at retirement age.

lamboguy 01-05-2018 02:46 PM

the author of this article is known for his ability to put out fake news. good luck with this one if you are betting your money on the Steelers when they come to New England with a far superior team other than the quarterback and coach.

MutuelClerk 01-05-2018 03:21 PM

Warms my heart on a day it's -3 outside. Screw the cheating Pats.

barahona44 01-05-2018 06:59 PM

I'm pretty sure some of these problems between Brady & Bellichik have been blown out of proportion.Bellichik doesn't seem the type to let anybody get close to him, the better to cut ties when the time comes.I do believe though that Bellichik was willing to let Brady get traded and have Garropolo take over as QB and that Kraft, who literally became a billionaire due to Brady,vetoed that idea. A second round draft choice was the NFL equivalent of a six-pack and a bag of Fritos given Garrapolo's potential, which now seems to be a sure bet, given his 5-0 record with San Francisco this year.To me that deal was a big fat eff-you to Kraft from Bellichik.

Clocker 01-06-2018 12:49 PM

Hot rumor from the NY Daily News: Belichick to coach the Giants?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3739643

burnsy 01-06-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2257546)
I don't understand why this is news, both the coach and quarterback who may be the best ever are at retirement age.

Exactly, how much longer can they last? That's the issue. The coach is Darth Vader, he's thinking years in advance, that's the friction. Its not "fake news" , anyone with half a brain knows he wanted Garoppolo in his back pocket. Basically now, once Brady is done, so are the Pats. Of course Belichick is not happy. They had to go out and get a "has been" back up by his standards. You know damn well these decisions were not his. Like this story is made up? :lol: I'm so surprised nothing was said weeks ago. But now, people see how good this kid is.

Basically, the team is not as good anyway. He knows it, only fans and TV fools can't see it. I even think he had visions of Garappolo starting soon and Kraft won't go for that. One guy wants to keep winning, the other guy is selling tickets. This is why Parcells bailed years ago, its surprising it all lasted this long. They have the AFC by the balls because the teams are not that good, but the end is definitely near. Belichick is almost always the smartest guy in the room, that's why he's won so much. Football people are often not as bright as he is.............that's his secret to his success. Time and "athlete reality" are a M'Fer, he is a smart ass realist, not a dreamer.

jocko699 01-07-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diagoras (Post 2257543)

This is a news story from a well known fake news agency. I believe madam Wolff wrote this.

All this does is bring the Patriots together as a team and insure they get to the SB.

lamboguy 01-07-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2258297)
This is a news story from a well known fake news agency. I believe madam Wolff wrote this.

All this does is bring the Patriots together as a team and insure they get to the SB.

talent wise, The Steelers are way better than the Pats, but they can never beat them

jocko699 01-07-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2258307)
talent wise, The Steelers are way better than the Pats, but they can never beat them

They just may be a better team and at this time of year anything can happen.

barahona44 01-07-2018 05:46 PM

Patriots' coordinators Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels are on their way out of town, so you have to wonder about how that will affect what they do. I'm not seeing the Patriots winning the Super Bowl this year, the NFC is a lot better and the team that gets there will be more battle tested than whoever the AFC winner is.

jocko699 01-07-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barahona44 (Post 2258419)
Patriots' coordinators Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels are on their way out of town, so you have to wonder about how that will affect what they do. I'm not seeing the Patriots winning the Super Bowl this year, the NFC is a lot better and the team that gets there will be more battle tested than whoever the AFC winner is.

I do not agree with the NFC being more powerful but what do I know.

horses4courses 01-07-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2258530)

I believe you're right. :ThmbUp:

AFC is a slight favorite to lift Super Bowl trophy - very slight.
Eagles with a healthy Carson Wentz might have changed that.
Odds are based on the current situation, though.

jocko699 01-07-2018 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horses4courses (Post 2258536)
I believe you're right. :ThmbUp:

AFC is a slight favorite to lift Super Bowl trophy - very slight.
Eagles with a healthy Carson Wentz might have changed that.
Odds are based on the current situation, though.

They still have to beat Atlanta and they seem to be getting good at the right time. We will see in Philly this weekend.

barahona44 01-07-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2258530)

Powerful is a strong word, better is a better word.

Seeding comparisons (pre playoffs , my opinion)
Number 6 seeds. Atlanta vs. Buffalo. Advantage ATL
Number 5 seeds. Carolina vs.Tennessee Advantage CAR
Number 4 seeds. New Orleans vs. Kansas City. Advantage N.O.
Number 3 seeds. Los Angeles vs. Jacksonville. A draw
Number 2 seeds Minnesota vs. Pittsburgh Advantage PIT (slight, would be stronger if
Antonio Brown status were solid)
Number 1 seeds. Philadelphia vs. New England Advantage NE ..

I still think the NFC rep wins the SB, especially the Vikings (they'd be the home team) or Falcons, who I think are starting to click at the right time.New Orleans today reminded me of last year's Saints, no defense or a running game.Drew Brees is still a top QB, but if he has to be a one man band , they won't win the big game. If the balance on both sides of the ball they exhibited most of the season returns they could be dangerous.The Eagles with Wentz would struggle; I don't see them as a SB worthy team, without him, they will take an early exit.

jocko699 01-07-2018 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2258542)
They still have to beat Atlanta and they seem to be getting good at the right time. We will see in Philly this weekend.

I reread this and I was trying to say Atlanta seems to be getting good right now.

Going to the SB and winning is very difficult for a team full of players that have never been there. That is why NE and ATL if they make it that far have to be a heavy favorite against any teams that haven't.

Valuist 01-08-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2258561)
I reread this and I was trying to say Atlanta seems to be getting good right now.

Going to the SB and winning is very difficult for a team full of players that have never been there. That is why NE and ATL if they make it that far have to be a heavy favorite against any teams that haven't.

I wasn't as impressed by Atlanta. The Rams' special teams, normally a strong point, completely self destructed and they basically handed that game to Atlanta. Then the long trip back east, followed by another trip north to Philly. The number opened at Atlanta -3 and lasted for about 15 minutes as they were hit by a flurry of Eagle money.

thaskalos 01-09-2018 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valuist (Post 2258692)
I wasn't as impressed by Atlanta. The Rams' special teams, normally a strong point, completely self destructed and they basically handed that game to Atlanta. Then the long trip back east, followed by another trip north to Philly. The number opened at Atlanta -3 and lasted for about 15 minutes as they were hit by a flurry of Eagle money.

More a drizzle than a flurry...IMO. You can still get the Eagles+3 if you lay the extra juice.

reckless 01-10-2018 03:52 PM

Just a silly idea I'll throw out there since I'm not playing any races; I'm fighting an annoying cold, and I still have a big sheet of ice along my driveway despite sunny and warmer days lately.

Could this play out, even remotely ...

Patriots lose, sooner rather than later ... everyone is pissed.

Bill Belichick either quits or is fired ...

The New York Giants sign Belichick to be their head coach ...

Nick Saban, fresh off another National Championship year, quits Alabama to be the Head Coach of the New England Patriots!

jocko699 01-10-2018 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reckless (Post 2259500)
Nick Saban, fresh off another National Championship year, quits Alabama to be the Head Coach of the New England Patriots!

I can't see Bill B taking a position with the Giants ever!!!!!

Nick will coach at UA through at least one more NC. When he does retire for good it will be from Alabama, he will never coach elsewhere. Swinney or Kirby will be the only coaches looked at to replace him.

reckless 01-10-2018 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2259512)

Nick will coach at UA through at least one more NC. When he does retire for good it will be from Alabama, he will never coach elsewhere. Swinney or Kirby will be the only coaches looked at to replace him.

jocko, if I had a bet, I'd wager on Dabo Swinney getting the nod.

I'd like to think Smart considers himself a Georgia guy more so than an Alabama guy -- just an opinion with no sound reasoning behind it except he was born there and his dad was a Georgia h.s. coach. I also think the yearly battles between Georgia-Auburn-Alabama in the next 2-3 years potentially may be the greatest games we'll ever see on the college level.

Either choice would be great ones, obviously.

Personally I'd like to see Lane Kiffin get the job -- which would never happen as long as Nick Saban has a say.

Kiffen has the best offensive mind than any coach in college ball. I predict this upcoming season will be Kiffin's last at FIU, only because a major --major-- school will hire him away.

Sorry that I digressed.

reckless 01-10-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2259512)

Yes, you're probably right about Nick never leaving Alabama.

BUT... competitive and successful people often want to straighten out and correcting any previous 'failure' if given the chance. I think Nick badly wants to succeed as an NFL coach which would erase the Miami Dolphins dark spot on his resume.

What better and possibly easier place to do such a thing then at New England? Plus, Saban is just like his early mentor Bill B. and Kraft must know this too -- if the situation should arise.

jocko699 01-10-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reckless (Post 2259530)
Kiffen has the best offensive mind than any coach in college ball. I predict this upcoming season will be Kiffin's last at FIU, only because a major --major-- school will hire him away.

Reckless,

Good response but Kiffin will NEVER be head coach at Alabama. The Alumni cannot stand him and they really drive who gets hired.

Maybe Kiffin can replace Harbaugh at Michigan. I think Jimmy is on his last lifeline up there.

reckless 01-10-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko699 (Post 2259565)
Reckless,

Good response but Kiffin will NEVER be head coach at Alabama. The Alumni cannot stand him and they really drive who gets hired.

Maybe Kiffin can replace Harbaugh at Michigan. I think Jimmy is on his last lifeline up there.

Yes I do know kiffin will never coach alabama. I think it was alleged he dated Saban's daughter.

I agree with you about harbaugh at michigan. They can't bring back Bo but I believe the great Lloyd Carr is still alive. :lol:

ElKabong 01-14-2018 02:01 PM

Patriots are still kicking.

I'll tell ya who's dead. The Stihlers, that's who. Jacksonville was up 21-0 when I got home from church. Tv was on cbs when I turned it on (going to watch the wings - hawks game)

End of the stihler era... Again

rastajenk 01-14-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElKabong (Post 2261216)

As a Bengal fan...observer...realist, or something, I've heard that several times already this century.

burnsy 01-15-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElKabong (Post 2261216)
Patriots are still kicking.

I'll tell ya who's dead. The Stihlers, that's who. Jacksonville was up 21-0 when I got home from church. Tv was on cbs when I turned it on (going to watch the wings - hawks game)

The Steelers were smoke and mirrors all season long. They had an easy schedule, with teams that were not that good or hurt. The only two teams left in the AFC, the Jags and Pats, are probably the only two that had a chance at the Super Bowl over the NFC team that gets in......even that may be a slight chance where they will need breaks or turn overs to win the Super Bowl. Look at the games so far, the AFC has been a joke all year, even before the playoffs. These teams don't play defense, that's how Jacksonville made it and even they had to hang on for dear life yesterday giving up 42 points!

The Steelers, KC, Buffalo or Tenn. wouldn't of even made it in the NFC. They are not good teams. People are bitching about the Steelers coaching........lol.......you just gave up 45 to the Jacksonville Jaguars.........Moses could be the coach and you wouldn't deserve to win that game at home........you stink!

lamboguy 01-15-2018 08:43 AM

Jaguars have a real good starting defense. those 11 guys they put on the field are the best in the league. the shortcoming they have is their quarterback. the coaching is real good too.

the linemakers and everyone else have the Patriots underrated right now because talent wise they aren't as good as the teams that are still left. since the Vikings are the favorite in Philadelphia, the superbowl will be a home game for them and the Pats could come into their home field and be a very short favorite. in this particular instance, i am going to say that the place they play will make a difference. the main problem that the Pats have is that there won't be as many people traveling to this game and the tickets will be scooped up by locals who are die hard Vikings fans. i would love to see the Vikings finally win a Super Bowl, they have a great franchise and tremendous fans.` but my money will not be on them.

Robert Fischer 01-15-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsy (Post 2261459)
The Steelers were smoke and mirrors all season long. They had an easy schedule, with teams that were not that good or hurt. The only two teams left in the AFC, the Jags and Pats, are probably the only two that had a chance at the Super Bowl over the NFC team that gets in......even that may be a slight chance where they will need breaks or turn overs to win the Super Bowl. Look at the games so far, the AFC has been a joke all year, even before the playoffs. These teams don't play defense, that's how Jacksonville made it and even they had to hang on for dear life yesterday giving up 42 points!

The Steelers, KC, Buffalo or Tenn. wouldn't of even made it in the NFC. They are not good teams. People are bitching about the Steelers coaching........lol.......you just gave up 45 to the Jacksonville Jaguars.........Moses could be the coach and you wouldn't deserve to win that game at home........you stink!

Steelers are showing several red flags.

They have the highest paid running back. = I could go to college or jail and get a backfield. No, I wouldn't find a LeVeon Bell, but we'd have an NFL backfield. Or more traditionally, look among the league for proven cheap talent (SEE PATRIOTS). Running back has such a large pool of competent players, it is horrible strategy to overpay.

Their undersized first round draft pick linebacker didn't work out.

Ben is 35. (Unlike Brady,) he has mileage on those years.

The Steelers remain a huge brand in the NFL ad-revenue game. Don't expect the Bengals, Browns, or Ravens to get any help from the league. However, the Steelers themselves are a top-heavy paper tiger.

Jeff P 01-15-2018 11:28 AM

Imo, lack of preparation evident in Steelers loss yesterday.

Specifically - the botched onside kick.

When you get to this point in the season and you attempt an onside kick, even if your team doesn't recover the ball:

You should at least LOOK like you know how to execute an onside kick.

After watching yesterday's game, the thought occurred to me that the last time the Steelers practiced an onside kick might have been back in the pre-season.

That was just one play.

But there's only one way you get to look that comically bad:

Lack of preparation.

-jp

Boris 01-15-2018 12:33 PM

So I spent $300 on futures a few weeks ago, and I'm still alive to the Jags to win the AFC at 8-1 for $80. I thought it would give me a "free roll" to play a money line bet on the Pats in the AFC game. However, I didn't see this money line at Pats -400 to -500.

I don't see an effective way to use this as a hedge with the Pats in the AFC game. Thoughts? I'm tempted to put $100 on the Jags to win the Superbowl at 8-1 and just root for them.

Valuist 01-15-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris (Post 2261542)
So I spent $300 on futures a few weeks ago, and I'm still alive to the Jags to win the AFC at 8-1 for $80. I thought it would give me a "free roll" to play a money line bet on the Pats in the AFC game. However, I didn't see this money line at Pats -400 to -500.

I don't see an effective way to use this as a hedge with the Pats in the AFC game. Thoughts? I'm tempted to put $100 on the Jags to win the Superbowl at 8-1 and just root for them.

I agree, probably not worth it to hedge in this situation. I don't think it's impossible for Jax. Coughlin has had the template to beat the Patriots in big games: rattle Brady with a fierce pass rush. Having said that, the list of QBs that the Jags have faced this year isn't the strongest. After Russell Wilson and Big Ben twice, the best QBs they've faced have been Jimmy G and Rivers. After that you have the Kizers, Stantons, TJ Yates and Tom Savages of the world.

thaskalos 01-16-2018 01:12 PM

IMO...Jax+9 might be the best NFL bet of the year.

Boris 01-16-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2261914)

Feeling the same way about the over 23 at halftime JAX vs NE. Either defense could kick in a score.

lamboguy 01-16-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

i have it as one of the worst. but that is what makes a market

Valuist 01-16-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

I liked the Jags last week. This week? It is a terrible setup for them.

The Jaguar defense was on the field for 74 plays vs Buffalo, and 78 vs the Steelers, and they looked fatigued in the second half at Pittsburgh. Jax also has played games every weekend (11 weeks) since the start of November. The Patriots have had TWO byes in that time period. The Patriot defense, one of the league's worst in September, has showed very strong improvement since then. The Jags D has had a great year, but we started to see cracks in the loss at San Francisco and again last week. Then we have the issue of a Florida based team going into brutal cold not once, but twice in January.

I can't imagine a worse set up.

thaskalos 01-16-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valuist (Post 2261990)
I liked the Jags last week. This week? It is a terrible setup for them.

The Jaguar defense was on the field for 74 plays vs Buffalo, and 78 vs the Steelers, and they looked fatigued in the second half at Pittsburgh. Jax also has played games every weekend (11 weeks) since the start of November. The Patriots have had TWO byes in that time period. The Patriot defense, one of the league's worst in September, has showed very strong improvement since then. The Jags D has had a great year, but we started to see cracks in the loss at San Francisco and again last week. Then we have the issue of a Florida based team going into brutal cold not once, but twice in January.

I can't imagine a worse set up.

Yes, we saw cracks in the Jags D down the stretch...but the New England cracks that were exposed by Miami, where the final score was a lot closer than the game indicated, cannot be ignored...IMO. This isn't the intimidating Patriots team that we have gotten used to in recent years...and 9 points is WAY too much to give to this Jacksonville team.

I am even putting down a moderate bet on the Jags winning OUTRIGHT. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy 01-16-2018 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2261995)
Yes, we saw cracks in the Jags D down the stretch...but the New England cracks that were exposed by Miami, where the final score was a lot closer than the game indicated, cannot be ignored...IMO. This isn't the intimidating Patriots team that we have gotten used to in recent years...and 9 points is WAY too much to give to this Jacksonville team.

you must hate money!

Valuist 01-16-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2261995)

The year to date defensive numbers for New England are deceptive. Just for points allowed: 128 points allowed in weeks 1-4. From weeks 5-17? Just 168 allowed. A dramatic turnaround. And as I mentioned earlier, a team with fresh legs while Jacksonville will be fighting fatigue.

thaskalos 01-16-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2262021)
you must hate money!

With New England at -440 for this game...my decision is a foregone conclusion. And, at +9, the Jags are the bet of the year...IMO.