Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Waiting On Sandy (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98745)

NJ Stinks 10-29-2012 12:01 AM

Waiting On Sandy

Usually the biggest snowstorms really take their time coming up from the south. And it seems like forever before they leave.

Same thing with Sandy. It's taking forever to get here. Not good.

headhawg 10-29-2012 12:05 AM

Good luck to all who have to face this. Be safe.

lsbets 10-29-2012 12:08 AM

Good luck stinks. My mom is pretty far inland, so power outage is her biggest threat, but my in laws are 4 blocks from the beach and riding it out. My wife is a wreck.

redshift1 10-29-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Stinks
Usually the biggest snowstorms really take their time coming up from the south. And it seems like forever before they leave.

Hope the power stay's on for you, My neighborhood lost power a few weeks ago and half the people opted for hotels.

horses4courses 10-29-2012 12:15 AM

Good luck to all of you in Sandy's path.
Hopefully, it's punch isn't as bad as feared, but I'm sure you're prepared. :ThmbUp:

ElKabong 10-29-2012 12:56 AM

good luck to all up there :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren 10-29-2012 09:23 AM

The silver lining is that wall street is closed for the day. I hope everybody stays safe during the storm.

Rookies 10-29-2012 09:53 AM

This one is so large, it's expected to hit Toronto with 60 mph winds and is rated up against the all time disaster storm for TO: Hurricane Hazel.

http://www.ec.gc.ca/ouragans-hurrica...n&n=60529E7D-1
http://hurricanehazel.ca/

The good news, post disaster was that Toronto watersheds were managed carefully from then on to ensure a re-occurrence never happens again.

so.cal.fan 10-29-2012 10:48 AM

What happens if NY loses power and PA gets closed down?
YIKES......Stay safe east coast people, even though a lot of you are voting for Obama, we still don't want anything bad to happen to any of you.
DRUDGE HEADLINES....very scary: THEY ARE WARNING PEOPLE, WHAT IF YOU DON'T SURVIVE/
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...ngerous-storm/

Shelby 10-29-2012 11:32 AM

Stay safe and warm, everyone.

boxcar 10-29-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Stinks

You're right. Slow moving storms aren't good. These kind can do a great deal of damage.

I suspect you're not a very religious guy, NJ, but I'll keep you in my prayers throughout the day.

Boxcar
P.S. Do you at least have a generator?

FantasticDan 10-29-2012 11:44 AM

For NJ, (the guy and the state :p )...

[YT=""]jxtpJrhAh94[/YT]

dartman51 10-29-2012 11:44 AM

Stay safe NJS, I hope you have plenty of supplies. :ThmbUp:

Wagergirl 10-29-2012 12:01 PM

Praying for all ya'll on the East Coast. Stay safe!

lamboguy 10-29-2012 12:03 PM

thank you, we all pray for each other

riskman 10-29-2012 12:12 PM

I live in NYC between the Throgs Neck and Whitstone Bridge about 2 blocks from the water. The main storm water surge will be between 10pm tonight and 2am this morning. Mostly a lot of wind at this point. Tonight will have the potential for substantial damage. Most of my friends who live near the water have evacuated. Very frustrating just waiting for the worst, but I have been through this before. Thanks for everyone's concern on the board.

lsbets 10-29-2012 12:22 PM

The police went to my in laws house last night to get a roll of who is staying. They are a block outside of the mandatory evacuation, and are not leaving. :bang:

As I told my wife, if the police come to get a count of who is still there, you should take that as a sign to leave.

PaceAdvantage 10-29-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by so.cal.fan
What happens if NY loses power and PA gets closed down?[/url]

PA, the website, isn't in NY... ;)

The PA website is actually in PA the state, which is kind of appropriate...Pittsburgh, PA to be exact...which should avoid this storm since that's in the far western part of the state...

BillW 10-29-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
PA, the website, isn't in NY... ;)

The PA website is actually in PA the state, which is kind of appropriate...Pittsburgh, PA to be exact...which should avoid this storm since that's in the far western part of the state...

PA the state would not be a bad place for PA the Admin to be this week too! Stay safe and make sure you're well stocked with beer (and power backup for the fridge!) :cool:

Tom 10-29-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookies
This one is so large, it's expected to hit Toronto with 60 mph winds and is rated up against the all time disaster storm for TO: Hurricane Hazel.

I remember Hazel - I was a 3 yo and I had missed the Derby that year due to tonsillitis.:D

Scared the hell of me at the time! Not to kind the tress of Shortsville, NY either.

bigmack 10-29-2012 02:47 PM

Best question by one of the MANY ditzes over @ CNNNN hitherto - Of the evacuees you've seen, how nervous do they look?

Wagergirl 10-29-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmack
Best question by one of the MANY ditzes over @ CNNNN hitherto - Of the evacuees you've seen, how nervous do they look?

Or the little weathergirl that looks like she might weigh a buck-o-two, holding on to a ricketty old fence while the wind blows her around. Poor thing looks like she is about to take flight!

PaceAdvantage 10-29-2012 02:59 PM

I was just outside...love being out in weather like this...again, not very much rain here on Long Island...lots of wind though...don't know if it's as windy as it was with Irene, but it's getting close

DeltaLover 10-29-2012 03:07 PM

Here in Ozone is very windy... Streets are empty... Worse than this is that NYRA has closed down even their site and we cannot bet even through the Internet..

Maybe I should revive my Twin Spires account although not sure if it is worth it for a day or two....

HUSKER55 10-29-2012 03:35 PM

Just curious, what are the predictions about the subways and such. if water gets down there into the electrics I would think there could be some real consequences down the road. How protected are they?

riskman 10-29-2012 03:54 PM

Wind picking up here. Appears to be around 65 mph. Several trees down on the street where I live. Have a tree in the front and back of my house.Hope they hold. Lights flicking on and off. Storm now moving faster according to revised forecasts. Robo calls being made to residents advising power will be shut down and telling everyone to unplug major appliances to prevent surge when power restored. The worst is yet to come in the next few hours.

PhantomOnTour 10-29-2012 04:25 PM

I just read that the sentrys guarding the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier will be at their posts throughout the storm, as they have been for decades.

:ThmbUp:

HUSKER55 10-29-2012 04:31 PM

got to admit, that is solid class regardless on which side of the aisle you are on!

thanks for the post! :ThmbUp:

Steve 'StatMan' 10-29-2012 04:38 PM

My brother and his wife are stuck in Olrando, can't fly back home to NH. OTOH not a bad place to be stuck.

Chicago even has warnings for high winds as large waves along Lake Michigan for late tonight and into tomrrow. Supposedly 16' to 20'. That's one serious storm to the east you're facing! Thinking about all of you out there!

cj's dad 10-29-2012 05:30 PM

Heavy rain and very windy here. It's starting.

The mayor is stating that other than emergency vehicles and essential personnel vehicular traffic will be halted tomorrow.

JustRalph 10-29-2012 05:42 PM

The Tomb of the unknown stays guarded

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...76562174_n.jpg

ArlJim78 10-29-2012 05:57 PM

Everything else might shut down, but it will take more than a hurricane to get those guys off that post at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

FYI Ralph, not that it matters but I read that that picture is not from today.

JustRalph 10-29-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Everything else might shut down, but it will take more than a hurricane to get those guys off that post at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

FYI Ralph, not that it matters but I read that that picture is not from today.

Yep, just read it was taken last month.

What an assignment to have...........couldn't imagine it

Jay Trotter 10-29-2012 06:39 PM

Stay safe for all of those in the storm's path! :ThmbUp:

fast4522 10-29-2012 07:10 PM

Thanks for posting that picture Ralph, very humbling to me.

FantasticDan 10-29-2012 07:14 PM

rosenowsr 10-29-2012 07:18 PM

Picture taken at 10:19 am Eastern time 10/29/2012

OTM Al 10-29-2012 07:21 PM

Hanging loose in Zone A NYC. Live on the fifth floor, so we moved the car to higher ground yesterday and decided to stick it out. The bay is about 2 feet over the sea walls right now so West End Ave is a river about 2 feet or so deep. It just killed the electrical systems in the cars people left on the street there. Wind seems to be dialing back a bit gradually now, so the worst has probably come. Lost power a few minutes ago, but been expecting that all day.

bigmack 10-29-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan
:p

Politicizing a hurry cane. Big thoughts continue to come from you.

PaceAdvantage 10-29-2012 08:08 PM

Electricity has gone out and come back over 20 times already, according to my APC UPS software...crazy...lights have never gone out for more than 2 minutes though...

Wind gusts seem to be dying down a bit now, even though they said the peak would be around 9pm...

Thinking the worst is behind me here...and if that's the case, not too shabby...