Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No One To Talk To (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131143)

Overlay 05-20-2016 08:04 PM

No One To Talk To

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/...96-7874611.php

Actor Alan Young, who played Wilbur Post, the only person with whom the title talking horse in the '60's sitcom Mr. Ed (voiced by Allan "Rocky" Lane) would converse, has died at age 96.

[YT="Mr. Ed Theme"]91LRPk8x14s[/YT]

horses4courses 05-20-2016 08:28 PM

The Famous Mr. Ed

If only there were horses we could converse with.
It would change the sport of horse racing considerably.

Track Collector 05-20-2016 08:36 PM

I LOVED that show!

Q: You know who Mr. Ed's favorite baseball team was?
A: The PHILLIES! :p

barahona44 05-20-2016 08:45 PM

I'll be honest, I thought he passed away years ago.

"Hey-y-y, Wilbur"

A horse is a horse , of course, of course...

VigorsTheGrey 05-20-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horses4courses
If only there were horses we could converse with.
It would change the sport of horse racing considerably.

I wonder how much of this horse whisperer stuff is true? Humans do indeed communicate with animals including horses...and there is always body language....I just heard for the first time from Steve Byks show that always approach horse with an underhand gesture like you are offering them something to munch on...never with an overhand which they interpret as a threat...makes so much sense...I wonder how much of our approaches with one another are underhanded (offering) versus overhanded (threat)?

Dave Schwartz 05-20-2016 08:55 PM

Wilber comes home from the park after Ed had refused to go.

Wilber: "You missed a really nice day at the park. Lots of pretty girls"

Ed: "Nice legs?"

Wilber: "Yes."

Ed: "How many?"

Wilber: 'Two."

Ed: "Sorry, not interested."

VigorsTheGrey 05-20-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Wilber comes home from the park after Ed had refused to go.

Wilber: "You missed a really nice day at the park. Lots of pretty girls"

Ed: "Nice legs?"

Wilber: "Yes."

Ed: "How many?"

Wilber: 'Two."

Ed: "Sorry, not interested."

Ed proves that 2 pairs of nice legs are better than 1!

Tom 05-20-2016 09:12 PM

I remember when that show first came on the air.
My Dad told me it was really a talking horse. :D

RIP Wiiiiiiiilburrrrrrr!

VigorsTheGrey 05-20-2016 09:23 PM

I've often heard trainers say that such and such horse is really smart...how is a horses smartness or intelligence measured? By how well he trains? By how well he performs what humans require from him? By how stubborn he is in refusing our demands?

Grits 05-20-2016 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
I've often heard trainers say that such and such horse is really smart...how is a horses smartness or intelligence measured? By how well he trains? By how well he performs what humans require from him? By how stubborn he is in refusing our demands?

All of the above. How well he/she trains, picks up what is wanted of him/her has a great deal to do with it. Too, they can be demanding, while at the same time, very people oriented, which also is a sign of intelligence.

An example: Lady Eli is a strong willed, demanding piece of work! So determined, but this is what has enabled her to handle the rigors of fighting laminitis. She doesn't warm to people, only Chad's assistant.

When feeding treats to horses, don't just keep your hand palm up, also keep it flat and open for things like mints. Horses can reach for your fingers. With carrots, either give smaller ones on your palm, or have very large ones for them to bite, and it won't take but two bites. Apples? Whole thing, open palm. And don't turn your back on a feisty one. I've had my jacket ripped, nibbling at my shoulder. ... Others mouths are as soft as a babies. Just depends on the individual. <3

MutuelClerk 05-20-2016 11:36 PM

So sad, such a great show. Mr. Ed hitting a homerun. Off Koufax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlVr45CHOuA

Fager Fan 05-21-2016 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey

Various ways. How quickly they pick up on the cues from their rider. If nothing phases them versus the horse who thinks a leaf poses a threat. A smart horse does fewer dumb things that can get them hurt. When you're around them, you discover which are smarter and which are less so.