Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Money, is it everything? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131066)

Stillriledup 05-17-2016 02:36 PM

Money, is it everything?

People who say 'money isn't everything' are usually people who have some. If you don't have any, you sleep in the street, haven't heard a street sleeper say recently that money isn't everything.

Thoughts on money. Is it everything and all that matters? Can you be happy with zero dollars and no hope? Would you tell a guy sleeping in the gutter 'hey, money isn't everything as long as you have happiness?'

Tom 05-17-2016 02:59 PM

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can you all the other crap that will make you happy.

VigorsTheGrey 05-17-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillriledup
People who say 'money isn't everything' are usually people who have some. If you don't have any, you sleep in the street, haven't heard a street sleeper say recently that money isn't everything.

Thoughts on money. Is it everything and all that matters? Can you be happy with zero dollars and no hope? Would you tell a guy sleeping in the gutter 'hey, money isn't everything as long as you have happiness?'

The trouble with having beyond survival means in a capitalistic system, is that those who have largess invite what is known as the "invidious comparison". There is also the jealousy factor that this person is getting up on everyone else (me)....and I deserve it too!...

Communistic social models would have us all be ragamuffins and there would be a certain pride in being a ragamuffin similar to the pride in being a citizen or comrade....

There is a large segment of world's population (the have-nots) that are very unhappy with the status quo and desire to be numbered among the moneyed ones due to the pervasive nature of capitalistic marketing and and now social media...

...Largely, money is the means to provide for our material ends, and sadly is monopolized in a political fashion for social control purposes...money has replaced religion in this sense...and the world is now full of believers in its power.

Clocker 05-17-2016 03:24 PM

Money is how you keep score.

therussmeister 05-17-2016 03:40 PM

To me there are only two ways to describe money.
  1. Enough
  2. Not enough

I am not married, have no children, and have little taste for luxury which makes it easy for me to reach the 'enough' category. A very handy thing for a professional gambler.

Grits 05-17-2016 04:21 PM

People who often have been heard to say, "money isn't everything" are now on the other side of the grass. All of their money couldn't buy them a winning battle against cancer, or keep a diseased heart from failing.

Steve Jobs is one of the most prominent examples.

Money can buy us things, it can buy us friends, it can get us anywhere we choose, doing whatever we choose. The same goes for our children. Yet, their health means more to us than even our own. Money means nothing when one's child is sick.

Good health is the great equalizer.

It cannot be bought. Not ever.

barn32 05-17-2016 04:28 PM

Everybody dies broke.

Tor Ekman 05-17-2016 04:56 PM

The key to happiness is wanting what you have rather than having what you want.

proximity 05-17-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Thoughts on money. Is it everything and all that matters?

after paceadvantage post count and vcash i'd say money is at least pretty high on the list..... :)

Secondbest 05-17-2016 05:10 PM

What money gives you is freedom to live as you want. It cant make you happy or healthy - you can get better health care if your Rich. But which is better Rich and sick or just enough and healthy.

MONEY 05-17-2016 05:17 PM

[YT="Johnny Rocco"]ITs-YX1yQ7o[/YT]

_______ 05-17-2016 05:28 PM

If you want happiness, you are better off persuing social connections (real, not internet).

We are hard wired to be in groups.

Once basic needs like food, shelter, and security are covered money really isn't going to make you any happier. Giving away any overages on those basics to benefit others actually will.

boxcar 05-17-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barn32
Everybody dies broke.

One of your best posts ever! :ThmbUp:

boxcar 05-17-2016 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tor Ekman
The key to happiness is wanting what you have rather than having what you want.

But if you have it, why would you be wanting for it?

riskman 05-17-2016 05:39 PM

Money improves your bargaining position in life. It helps you obtain better health care if you are sick and many other things in life that may result in a better outcome.
Being broke and with little hope for the future, is not a position you want to be in young or old.

VigorsTheGrey 05-17-2016 05:41 PM

Aristotle's Politics discussed the nature of self-interest in Book II, Part V.[5]

"Again, how immeasurably greater is the pleasure, when a man feels a thing to be his own; for surely the love of self is a feeling implanted by nature and not given in vain, although selfishness is rightly censured; this, however, is not the mere love of self, but the love of self in excess, like the miser's love of money; for all, or almost all, men love money and other such objects in a measure. And further, there is the greatest pleasure in doing a kindness or service to friends or guests or companions, which can only be rendered when a man has private property."

Grits 05-17-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _______
Once basic needs like food, shelter, and security are covered money really isn't going to make you any happier. Giving away any overages on those basics to benefit others actually will.

Such a great post!!! I agree, money doesn't make you any happier. It may make life easier, but that doesn't equate to ultimate happiness. There is no greater feeling than freely giving to others whom you know, beyond any doubt, can never help themselves in a way that you are able to help them. Nothing comes close. <3

MutuelClerk 05-17-2016 06:52 PM

Money isn't everything.

Just never run out.

hyipro 05-17-2016 07:34 PM

"ROOT OF ALL EVIL"

zico20 05-17-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits
Such a great post!!! I agree, [B]money doesn't make you any [/B]happier. It may make life easier, but that doesn't equate to ultimate happiness. There is no greater feeling than freely giving to others whom you know, beyond any doubt, can never help themselves in a way that you are able to help them. Nothing comes close. <3

Speak for yourself. :p If a person isn't happier with a lot more money then they need to check themselves into a mental institution and find out what is wrong with them.

098poi 05-17-2016 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MONEY
[YT="Johnny Rocco"]ITs-YX1yQ7o[/YT]

That's great.

The only reason I would want a real lot of money is so I wouldn't have to worry about money. Bills, basics etc. Truth is I don't have a lot but I must have enough because I don't worry about it too much.

Mae West or Marlene Dietrich (or someone) said,

"I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better"

Shemp Howard 05-17-2016 08:45 PM

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.

Actor 05-18-2016 12:42 AM

"Money can't buy happiness but the rich suffer in comfort." - I think Eric Sevareid said that.

Actor 05-18-2016 12:46 AM

Quote:

Everybody dies broke.

"The last check you write should be to the undertaker and it should bounce." - Stephen M. Pollan

http://www.amazon.com/Die-Broke-Radi...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

ronsmac 05-18-2016 01:22 AM

Money doesn't necessarily make you happy but it's amazing how many old rich guys have young wives or girlfriends. The 50 or 60 year old state government worker never has a 25 or 30 year old girlfriend.

Tom 05-18-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Everybody dies broke.

I'd be mad if I didn't.

The Judge 05-18-2016 07:56 AM

John Bogle on Money

For his new book "Money: Master The Game," Tony Robbins asked the investing legend what money means to him. The famously thrifty Bogle, who is 85 and still works every day, had the perfect response.

"I look at money not as an end but as a means to an end," Bogle said.

To underscore his point, Bogle told a great story about the writers Kurt Vonnegut and Joe Heller.

"They meet at a party on Shelter Island," he said. "Kurt looks at Joe and says, 'That guy, our host over there, he made a billion dollars today. He's made more money in one day than you made on every single copy of 'Catch-22,' [Heller's novel].'"

"And Heller looks at Vonnegut and says, 'That's OK, because I have something he, our host, will never have. Enough."

The investor knows something that many of us forget: Striving for more will never be as satisfying as having enough.

Overlay 05-18-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyipro
"ROOT OF ALL EVIL"

"Money is the root of all evil" is a common misquote. The correct wording is, "Love of money is the root of all evil."

Overlay 05-18-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom
I'd be mad if I didn't.

Reminds me of the man whose will read, "Being of sound mind, I spent it all."

Also, the bumper sticker that says, "Spending our children's inheritance".

"Money isn't everything, but it's WAY ahead of whatever's in second place."

When my son got into Harvard Law School, a co-worker said to me, "You know what this means, don't you? Now you'll be staying in a higher class of nursing home!"

tucker6 05-18-2016 09:13 AM

Having more money provides more choices in life. It doesn't make you necessarily happier, it just gives you more options to pursue.

boxcar 05-18-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyipro
"ROOT OF ALL EVIL"

Not so! Wealth in and of itself is neither good or bad, but becomes either when we choose what to do with it. Therefore, as the Good Book says, "The love of money is the root of many evils."

boxcar 05-18-2016 09:36 AM

Enouth is Perfect!

As some other posters have wisely suggested -- Enough in life is the ideal. Solomon understood this well when he penned the proverb in Prov 30:8-9.

johnhannibalsmith 05-18-2016 11:19 AM

I like it when I have some money, I just try to never stockpile enough that I have to be responsible with it.

incoming 05-18-2016 11:42 AM

For most of us, money creates as many problem as it solves. But money in the hands of the right person can be a great tool. Steve Jobs and Walt Disney would be two of my examples.

Hank 05-18-2016 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar
Not so! Wealth in and of itself is neither good or bad, but becomes either when we choose what to do with it. Therefore, as the Good Book says, "The love of money is the root of many evils."

Really?

ronsmac 05-18-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incoming
For most of us, money creates as many problem as it solves. But money in the hands of the right person can be a great tool. Steve Jobs and Walt Disney would be two of my examples.

Disney's grand niece said he really hated jews. Man if I was that rich I wouldn't hate anyone.

boxcar 05-18-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank
Really?

Yes, really. In the larger context of that passage, the rich young ruler thought more of his money than he did of Jesus. Plus, also, see 1Tim 6:10 and Mat 6:24.

barahona44 05-18-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank
Really?

I was taught that the eye of a needle, it was an actual place in Jerusalem, a small gate that was difficult to get a camel through.

Grits 05-18-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barahona44
I was taught that the eye of a needle, it was an actual place in Jerusalem, a small gate that was difficult to get a camel through.

No. Actually, this would be the Jersey Turnpike, Exit 13, Goethal's Bridge. I-278, east, heading to the Verrazano. Honey, I can spit and hit the car in the next lane. :lol:

Red Knave 05-18-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits
Honey, I can spit ...

Try as I might, I can't imagine this. :)
---------------------------------------------------

The only thing money is actually good for is to spend. You can't eat it, wear it or live in it so it definitely isn't everything.