Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Money, is it everything? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131066)

boxcar 05-18-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyipro
"ROOT OF ALL EVIL"

Not so! Wealth in and of itself is neither good or bad, but becomes either when we choose what to do with it. Therefore, as the Good Book says, "The love of money is the root of many evils."

boxcar 05-18-2016 09:36 AM

Enouth is Perfect!

As some other posters have wisely suggested -- Enough in life is the ideal. Solomon understood this well when he penned the proverb in Prov 30:8-9.

johnhannibalsmith 05-18-2016 11:19 AM

I like it when I have some money, I just try to never stockpile enough that I have to be responsible with it.

incoming 05-18-2016 11:42 AM

For most of us, money creates as many problem as it solves. But money in the hands of the right person can be a great tool. Steve Jobs and Walt Disney would be two of my examples.

Hank 05-18-2016 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar
Not so! Wealth in and of itself is neither good or bad, but becomes either when we choose what to do with it. Therefore, as the Good Book says, "The love of money is the root of many evils."

Really?

ronsmac 05-18-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by incoming
For most of us, money creates as many problem as it solves. But money in the hands of the right person can be a great tool. Steve Jobs and Walt Disney would be two of my examples.

Disney's grand niece said he really hated jews. Man if I was that rich I wouldn't hate anyone.

boxcar 05-18-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank
Really?

Yes, really. In the larger context of that passage, the rich young ruler thought more of his money than he did of Jesus. Plus, also, see 1Tim 6:10 and Mat 6:24.

barahona44 05-18-2016 03:58 PM

Quote:

Really?

I was taught that the eye of a needle, it was an actual place in Jerusalem, a small gate that was difficult to get a camel through.

Grits 05-18-2016 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barahona44
I was taught that the eye of a needle, it was an actual place in Jerusalem, a small gate that was difficult to get a camel through.

No. Actually, this would be the Jersey Turnpike, Exit 13, Goethal's Bridge. I-278, east, heading to the Verrazano. Honey, I can spit and hit the car in the next lane. :lol:

Red Knave 05-18-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits
Honey, I can spit ...

Try as I might, I can't imagine this. :)
---------------------------------------------------

The only thing money is actually good for is to spend. You can't eat it, wear it or live in it so it definitely isn't everything.

boxcar 05-18-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barahona44

Would a Hebrew idiom be hard to swallow? Or are idioms just unique to the English language?

Ball is in your court" :D

Hank 05-18-2016 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar
Yes, really. In the larger context of that passage, the rich young ruler thought more of his money than he did of Jesus. Plus, also, see 1Tim 6:10 and Mat 6:24.

Sorry but further contextualization in no way alters the meaning of Jesus's admonition.The young man was looking directly into the face of Jesus Christ and when faced with the choice of Jesus or his wealth he chose wealth.He is emblematic of mankind as your feeble rationalization confirms.

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

_______ 05-18-2016 06:00 PM

Why do I feel like this thread is about to get swallowed by the much larger one I am careful to NEVER post in?

MutuelClerk 05-18-2016 06:53 PM

Quote:

Sorry but further contextualization in no way alters the meaning of Jesus's admonition.The young man was looking directly into the face of Jesus Christ and when faced with the choice of Jesus or his wealth he chose wealth.He is emblematic of mankind as your feeble rationalization confirms.

“If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

"No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

I'm guessing the young man is organized religion?

whodoyoulike 05-18-2016 11:04 PM

This may be the definitive answer to the OP and, he has money the last I've read. Btw, I agree with him.

Quote:

... “The truth is, I’ve never cared for money. I realize that sounds strange coming from a billionaire, and I recognize that many people do work for money, but I would wager that those who become extremely successful are more strongly motivated by the desire to achieve, by a commitment to excellence and by an obsessive drive to win.” – Sumner Redstone ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kerenbla.../#22f67da14c48