Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Did Martin Garcia do the right turn body slam on Follow Me Crev on purpose? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138692)

Andy Asaro 05-28-2017 10:43 AM

Did Martin Garcia do the right turn body slam on Follow Me Crev on purpose?

Nobody can say for sure but it sure is suspicious given previous incidents. I'll go with yes just to stir the pot.

Dahoss9698 05-28-2017 10:45 AM

No doubt in my mind he did it on purpose.

Andy Asaro 05-28-2017 11:27 AM

Andy Asaro 05-28-2017 11:33 AM

Baffert "He ducked from the starter" "He can do that"

cj 05-28-2017 11:37 AM

Who knows really, but the way California stewards have handled gate incidents certainly allows for the possibility that somebody would take advantage of it.

Robert Fischer 05-28-2017 12:34 PM

I couldn't tell either way.

It looks like whether it was intentional, or not, that once contact was inevitable that Garcia was aggressive. I don't see anything wrong with that, specifically.

I guess the question is whether Baffert, Tabor et al were 'pulling strings', and chose to impede a main rival, by using and potentially sacrificing one of his two A's.

I don't see it, but the potential is there, and that is worth some thought.

And when a potential advantage exist by way of cheating, you will see Gresham's law play out.

Andy Asaro 05-28-2017 02:15 PM

If anything Garcia should get days for it.

SuperPickle 05-29-2017 12:13 AM

I'm not Einstein but isn't giving your horse a poor start to give another horse a poor start illogical???

Dahoss9698 05-29-2017 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperPickle (Post 2176689)
I'm not Einstein but isn't giving your horse a poor start to give another horse a poor start illogical???

Not if your goal is to eliminate the main competition for your longer priced uncoupled entrymate.

Let's think about this for a second. Martin Garcia is a 10% rider this year. That's with the benefit of riding a lot of choice Baffert stock. Why do you think that is? What does Baffert see that seemingly no other trainer sees?

He's a good Baffert soldier. He does whatever is needed for the team. You've been around, let's not pretend stuff like this is something that can't happen. Tag teams happen all the time. You started a thread about one at Golden Gate the other day remember?

dilanesp 05-29-2017 11:35 AM

Follow Me Crev is a deep closer anyway. Giving a deep closer a slow start doesn't hurt that horse's chances much.

The Bayern thing worked because it eliminated Moreno, the other speed horse in the race.

cj 05-29-2017 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2176829)
Follow Me Crev is a deep closer anyway. Giving a deep closer a slow start doesn't hurt that horse's chances much.

The Bayern thing worked because it eliminated Moreno, the other speed horse in the race.

It may not hurt as much as it does a speed horse, but it definitely still hurts the horses chances. He had to make up several additional lengths because of the break. He was 11 lengths back after a 1/4 mile. This is not a horse that is usually that far back---not even close.

Dahoss9698 05-29-2017 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2176829)

Clobbering a horse at the start doesn't hurt his chances much? :lol::lol::lol:

What color is the sky? I'm just curious if we can agree on something obvious.

Ruffian1 05-29-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Asaro (Post 2176285)
Baffert "He ducked from the starter" "He can do that"

Absolutely.

Andy Asaro 05-29-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffian1 (Post 2176868)
Absolutely.

It's the starters fault. Remember the press conference where Baffert was caught on a hot mic telling Garcia what to say?

Got this from CHRB Spokesperson Mike Marten (who deserves a statue somewhere someday. This guy is the best at what he does and ALWAYS answers questions.)

I asked if the Stewards spoke to Garcia and/or are going to give him days off.

I’ve sent an email to Darrel McHargue.

Reviewing the race myself, it looked like American Freedom took him by surprise by veering right like that. But maybe a jockey is supposed to be prepared for that possibility. I don’t know. We will see what McHargue says.

arw629 05-29-2017 12:57 PM

I find this thread comical