Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tiz the Law retired (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162360)

cj 12-30-2020 02:48 PM

Tiz the Law retired

Not exactly shocking news.

GMB@BP 12-30-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2689466)

I have not been following, why not that shocking?

SaratogaSteve 12-30-2020 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2689466)

why not shocking?

cj 12-30-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaratogaSteve (Post 2689492)
why not shocking?

Because generally this is what happens to all top 3yos. I'm not saying they didn't intend to race at 4, but plans in this game mean very little.

Sysonby 12-30-2020 05:03 PM

He came back off from his last work. They got x-rays, found bone bruising. Consulted three different vets, all said he shouldn't race again.

SaratogaSteve 12-30-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2689514)
Because generally this is what happens to all top 3yos. I'm not saying they didn't intend to race at 4, but plans in this game mean very little.

Well, they did intend to race him, unless his worktab was created to induce a problem. His last work was very slow compared to almost every work he's had since entering training. The owners and Tagg got second and third opinions and the horse was at risk.

classhandicapper 12-31-2020 10:09 AM

It would be nice to see more of these top 3yos run at 4 and 5 just to see if they keep developing and run speed figures like we saw in prior generations.

IMO, it's really tough to do accurate comparisons of horses on figures across generations (despite the idealistic views of some figure makers lol), but it's clearly impossible if 2yo and 3yo horses are very lightly raced and then retired well before their physical maturity and experience on the track will allow them to show their best.

Maybe we should start hoping there's a flurry of late developing geldings so we can finally see top horses in action at their peaks.

1GCFAN 12-31-2020 02:13 PM

Unless I missed something he was kept in training a long time.

zico20 01-01-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sysonby (Post 2689521)
He came back off from his last work. They got x-rays, found bone bruising. Consulted three different vets, all said he shouldn't race again.

Forty years ago the vets would have said he needs six months off and then he can race again. I highly doubt they said he needs to be retired. Horses have had much more serious injuries and have come back after a year away.

clicknow 01-03-2021 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico20 (Post 2689855)
Forty years ago the vets would have said he needs six months off and then he can race again. I highly doubt they said he needs to be retired. Horses have had much more serious injuries and have come back after a year away.

Maybe owners 40 years ago were willing to pay for 6 months or a year off to pasture, rest and recover.

Bone bruises from impact are actually pretty serious, as well as painful, so a horse like Tiz wouldn't be given nerve blocks and kept racing (like many low level claimers are forced to do.)

The damage will be progressive, destructive to cartilage and blood supply, if not given the proper treatment, which is rest and recovery, as well as specific nutrients.

Explains it here:
https://ker.com/equinews/bone-bruise...uine-athletes/

Interestingly, much of the prevention and treatment in young horses includes better calcium intake.

Irony: I just remembered that Lasix works by increasing urination and promotes calcium excretion from the kidneys. Thus reduced bone mineral density. Surely a recipe not good for youngsters. Yay! We will learn the hard hard way I guess.