Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Santa Anita's announcement delayed. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66312)

andymays 02-03-2010 09:35 AM

Santa Anita's announcement delayed.

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseraci...ment-dela.html

Excerpt:

Charles said Stronach is due in town shortly and that an announcement will be made at that time. It will be dirt, because there's no way in heck Stronach will OK another synthetic, but no track official will confirm that dirt will be the new racing surface. Charles announced on Jan. 18 that the track would replace its current synthetic Pro-Ride surface at the end of the meet and at the time expected to have a decision in a matter of days, not weeks.

Meanwhile, some in the Santa Anita press box were second guessing the decision to go back to dirt over the weekend, claiming the sealed tracks will lead to the type of breakdowns that plagued the SoCal tracks before the synthetics.

Two things about that:

(1) The bases are now new, not decades old like before the synthetic tracks were installed.

(2) The tighter scrutiny designed to spot unsound horses before they race, both while they warm up and then before they enter the starting gate, was not in place the last time we had sealed tracks.

GaryG 02-03-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymays
Meanwhile, some in the Santa Anita press box were second guessing the decision to go back to dirt over the weekend, claiming the sealed tracks will lead to the type of breakdowns that plagued the SoCal tracks before the synthetics.

I don't have the data, but it seems that there were fewer breakdowns when they just let the track go through the various stages of drying out. I guess the powers that be don't like slow or muddy tracks.

andymays 02-03-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryG
I don't have the data, but it seems that there were fewer breakdowns when they just let the track go through the various stages of drying out. I guess the powers that be don't like slow or muddy tracks.

I think the tracks do whatever they think will produce the least amount of scratches and injuries. If you don't seal it and the horses can't skip over it then you have other injuries.

I think a place like Emerald Downs (it rains a lot) would be a perfect candidate for synthetic but the people there will probably burn down the track if they try it.

Kimsus 02-03-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Excerpt:

Charles said Stronach is due in town shortly and that an announcement will be made at that time. It will be dirt, because there's no way in heck Stronach will OK another synthetic, but no track official will confirm that dirt will be the new racing surface. Charles announced on Jan. 18 that the track would replace its current synthetic Pro-Ride surface at the end of the meet and at the time expected to have a decision in a matter of days, not weeks.

I'm always a couple steps ahead of people here that were so gung ho about returning to dirt without looking at the consequences, I raised this point continually last week. What can I say I am that sharp.

andymays 02-03-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimsus
I'm always a couple steps ahead of people here that were so gung ho about returning to dirt without looking at the consequences, I raised this point continually last week. What can I say I am that sharp.

Or a few years behind. That's what 80% of people were saying in 2007. Fast forward to 2010 and the 80% are on the other side. Especially the bulk of the Trainers who know best.

delayjf 02-03-2010 10:11 AM

They should copy Saratoga's track to a tee.

Kimsus 02-03-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Or a few years behind. That's what 80% of people were saying in 2007. Fast forward to 2010 and the 80% are on the other side. Especially the bulk of the Trainers who know best.

Duabi/Meydan went Tapeta after years of running on dirt at Nad El Sheba, I'm not sure why there is such a strong anti-poly movement in NA when other tracks in the world are choosing to run on it, it is also peculiar that almost everywhere else in the world, synths are working out just fine.

cj 02-03-2010 10:13 AM

We'll see how fine they work in Dubai. They just opened.

I'm also not so naive as to think the switch wasn't in part to end American dominance on dirt.

classhandicapper 02-03-2010 10:23 AM

If SA goes back to dirt, what does that mean for Del Mar and Hollywood?

I think that adds a new complication for trainers, owners, and horseplayers that have preferences for one surface or another.

FenceBored 02-03-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimsus
Duabi/Meydan went Tapeta after years of running on dirt at Nad El Sheba, I'm not sure why there is such a strong anti-poly movement in NA when other tracks in the world are choosing to run on it, it is also peculiar that almost everywhere else in the world, synths are working out just fine.

Have you seen some of the ties that British politicians wear! :eek: Mimicing foreign styles isn't always the smart thing to do.

FenceBored 02-03-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper

I think that adds a new complication for trainers, owners, and horseplayers that have preferences for one surface or another.

And how would that be any harder on them than what people in the Midwest face with the assortment of surfaces there?

illinoisbred 02-03-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenceBored
And how would that be any harder on them than what people in the Midwest face with the assortment of surfaces there?

To tell you the truth,3 years back when Arlington still had a dirt surface,AP dirt form didn't always transfer to Hawthorne form. The 2 surfaces were quite different. It can present some great opportunities if you're willing to look at and use races 7-8 down in the PPs (then and now).

Kimsus 02-03-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
We'll see how fine they work in Dubai. They just opened.

I'm also not so naive as to think the switch wasn't in part to end American dominance on dirt.

There are alot of factors on the surface that may not be as apparent, you think dirt dominated breeders like synth tracks?

classhandicapper 02-03-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenceBored

I guess it wouldn't but we are talking about a lot more of the premier races in the industry.

rrbauer 02-03-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper

Del Mar is not going to change according to their GM.
Hollywood is not going to change since it will soon be a commercial development and why would they spend the money on a new surface.
Golden Gate seems happy with their synthetic (which BTW is owned by Stronach).

Santa Anita finds itself in a no-win situation; and, until they solve the drainage problem in the subsurface it won't matter what they do. Big rains will produce big problems.