Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Handicapping Software (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Software Question (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158215)

mikesal57 05-22-2020 11:05 PM

Software Question

What program(s) do you use that can create daily files that is database quality to do extensive research with?

I know HSH & JCapper & RDSS can create a CSV file...

I also know Handifast can create one too, but the factors are limited(too few)

I figure the big commercial ones can do some sort of a database quality file...

What about the forgotten or the small fries still out there ?

Thxs Guys...

Tom 05-23-2020 03:05 PM

HTR has multipel export files - 6 or 7 of them,and also daily comma charts for all tacks.

Aside from a powerful program, the exports and charts alone are worth the monthly fees.

ChartingHorseValue 05-23-2020 03:09 PM

HTR allows you to export data files for the time that you are a member. Perhaps you can go back and purchase the files for the time you aren't a member but got to be expensive to do that.

mikesal57 05-23-2020 03:21 PM

I had a hunch HTR would be able to do it too....but didnt know how intense it was...

with the big boys out of the way..

None of the other small fries can do it?

LongShot_Louie 06-13-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesal57 (Post 2606498)
What program(s) do you use that can create daily files that is database quality to do extensive research with?

I know HSH & JCapper & RDSS can create a CSV file...

I also know Handifast can create one too, but the factors are limited(too few)

I figure the big commercial ones can do some sort of a database quality file...

What about the forgotten or the small fries still out there ?

Thxs Guys...

Post Time Daily (PTD) software outputs raw data files in cvs format. Their software puts out a Past Performance file, an Entrant File, a Race File, Classification File (Full description of entrant requirements text file) and a WorkOut File for each day's card. For an extra $.50 a card, you can download the results file. The daily cards are $1.50. BTW I am a database programmer (retired). There are things I wish they did differently, but overall the files are pretty good.

mikesal57 06-13-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LongShot_Louie (Post 2618348)
Post Time Daily (PTD) software outputs raw data files in cvs format. Their software puts out a Past Performance file, an Entrant File, a Race File, Classification File (Full description of entrant requirements text file) and a WorkOut File for each day's card. For an extra $.50 a card, you can download the results file. The daily cards are $1.50. BTW I am a database programmer (retired). There are things I wish they did differently, but overall the files are pretty good.

Thxs Louie...

But it not quite what I was looking for....

I'm looking for software that can take information and the developers factors for each horse with ranks and results and mesh them together for intense research.

EX:

Horse ....Rank early......Rank Late...........Rank Class.........ETC............ORDER

a...............5.................2............... ............3..................................... 2
b...............3.................4............... ............2..................................... 3
c...............1.................3............... ............4..................................... .4
d...............4.................5............... ............5..................................... .5
e...............2.................1............... ............1..................................... .1

MJC922 06-14-2020 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesal57 (Post 2618357)
Thxs Louie...

But it not quite what I was looking for....

I'm looking for software that can take information and the developers factors for each horse with ranks and results and mesh them together for intense research.

EX:

Horse ....Rank early......Rank Late...........Rank Class.........ETC............ORDER

a...............5.................2............... ............3..................................... 2
b...............3.................4............... ............2..................................... 3
c...............1.................3............... ............4..................................... .4
d...............4.................5............... ............5..................................... .5
e...............2.................1............... ............1..................................... .1

In my case a lot of work went into getting things setup to be like that. It's all automated now but it's a lot of code. When a race gets 'processed' I have another excel worksheet that contains ranks like what you've shown. Each race with ranks and other details gets written to a sheet, When all races are processed from every card that total output eventually gets written to a csv file and emailed to me at midnight. At some point usually months later I will take all of those emails and combine them into one large csv file, bring that back into a new excel workbook and match up everyone with their eventual finish positions / odds in those races. Then it's time for some actual research like what you want to do. Good luck finding software that can do what you want.

mikesal57 06-14-2020 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC922 (Post 2618478)
In my case a lot of work went into getting things setup to be like that. It's all automated now but it's a lot of code. When a race gets 'processed' I have another excel worksheet that contains ranks like what you've shown. Each race with ranks and other details gets written to a sheet, When all races are processed from every card that total output eventually gets written to a csv file and emailed to me at midnight. At some point usually months later I will take all of those emails and combine them into one large csv file, bring that back into a new excel workbook and match up everyone with their eventual finish positions / odds in those races. Then it's time for some actual research like what you want to do. Good luck finding software that can do what you want.

Actually , HSH ,JCApper,HTR, RDSS does it already but at a high cost...

My post is asking if any other software does this at a nominal cost

RPG Optimun does some factor analysis but cant print it out....that program is something in the $200 range
With some ingenious work on my part I got something like below..
But the work is tedious getting to it...

MJC922 06-14-2020 11:08 AM

There should be a way for you to buy six months or so worth of races and do some research with it. It seems like you're open to using any software that can create the output if it's affordable. Don't they have differences in accuracy? I mean garbage in garbage out. No truer words were ever spoken. You use class rank one with junk software and you get the horse with the highest avg earning per start and a 20% WR or you use my top rank on class and get a 30% WR. Honestly if I didn't do all my own stuff and settle for nothing less I'd be looking at HSH.

mikesal57 06-14-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJC922 (Post 2618531)
There should be a way for you to buy six months or so worth of races and do some research with it. It seems like you're open to using any software that can create the output if it's affordable. Don't they have differences in accuracy? I mean garbage in garbage out. No truer words were ever spoken. You use class rank one with junk software and you get the horse with the highest avg earning per start and a 20% WR or you use my top rank on class and get a 30% WR. Honestly if I didn't do all my own stuff and settle for nothing less I'd be looking at HSH.

Dont be too keen jumping to HSH......I had it for 18 months

You say "garbage in garbage out"

that is exactly what I'm researching here ....the thing is at a "affordable price"...

The big commercial software goes thru HDW so that their files get encrypted..
The prices range $124-$140 per month..

Files I have, CSV providing programs I dont...

With a CSV file with the appropriate info can be using in "R" or Excel to determine if it is garbage.

headhawg 06-14-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesal57 (Post 2618540)
Files I have, CSV providing programs I dont...

With a CSV file with the appropriate info can be using in "R" or Excel to determine if it is garbage.

From a developer's POV, exporting to csv is tantamount to giving away the store for free. I had serious thoughts about selling my programs, but the amount of money to be made isn't worth my time or the hassle. If I did, the programs wouldn't export to csv not because it's hard to do, but it doesn't make financial sense. Good luck Mike, but it is very unlikely to find a paid product that does a .csv export. It's hard enough to find new software that's any good regardless of the export capabilities because it's very difficult to justify the development time/cost to sales ratio.

mikesal57 06-14-2020 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headhawg (Post 2618546)
From a developer's POV, exporting to csv is tantamount to giving away the store for free. I had serious thoughts about selling my programs, but the amount of money to be made isn't worth my time or the hassle. If I did, the programs wouldn't export to csv not because it's hard to do, but it doesn't make financial sense. Good luck Mike, but it is very unlikely to find a paid product that does a .csv export. It's hard enough to find new software that's any good regardless of the export capabilities because it's very difficult to justify the development time/cost to sales ratio.

Brian....

Why would you say "giving away the store for free" ?

SAy you coded 6 factors.....

EARLY LATE FORM CLASS SPEED CONNECTIONS(JKY/TRN)

They each come up with a value for each horse in each race......

So say after 1000 races , I put all this info into Excel with results
and come up with a system that uses...

(83% of SPEED) + (62% of EARLY) + ( 49% of CLASS) + (33% of CONNECTIONS) + ( 22% of LATE)

and I find your FORM rating non-significant...So that is out

what do you see as giving the store away?
your factors are proprietary and cant be deciphered
If not for the public ..Why wouldnt you want this info for yourself?

Mike

headhawg 06-14-2020 12:24 PM

I was trying to be subtle but I will be more direct: The csv file obviously contains the program's output. It would be near impossible to stop the sharing of the csv file which would mean fewer software sales.

And to your other question -- the research on what factors work should be done before the software is coded, not after (with the exception being fine-tuning).

mikesal57 06-14-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headhawg (Post 2618565)
I was trying to be subtle but I will be more direct: The csv file obviously contains the program's output. It would be near impossible to stop the sharing of the csv file which would mean fewer software sales.

I'm a little stumped here.....

The programs out put is

EARLY LATE FORM CLASS SPEED CONNECTIONS

What will the .csv file do in my hands if I dont have the software?

headhawg 06-14-2020 12:35 PM

Person A buys the software. He has the docs that explain the fields of the csv output. Person B likes things for free. He knows Person A and asks for the csv file and the doc describing the fields. Person B obtains this information and loads the csv file into Excel or Google Sheets. Person B now has the program's output without paying for it. Person B has friends that have the same thoughts about free stuff. Pretty soon it gets to be like this video: