Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Religious (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88142)

boxcar 08-01-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox
I pray to God.

(Even in that short response of yours I find nothing resembling Christian charity. What you perceive to be truth may not actually be the truth.
Mocking people of faiths other than yours or your interpretation of the Bible,
will make you as much a candidate for Hell as anyone on this board.)

It was meant to be a thought-provoking question. People who actually pray, pray to an intelligent, personal being, notwithstanding those who engage in "meditative prayer", of course. ;)

Boxcar

boxcar 08-01-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcap
I would guess it's not an angry old geezer floating around in the sky that looks like C. Heston and thinks like you do. :)

I'd actually be a very happy camper if you addressed the Jewish Muslim issue I have raised twice previously. I would love to know if they're in or out of TJ's exclusive club.

Boxcar

TJDave 08-01-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar
And thanks for your prayers...I think.

I'm praying, too. :ThmbUp:

hcap 08-02-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar
I'd actually be a very happy camper if you addressed the Jewish Muslim issue I have raised twice previously. I would love to know if they're in or out of TJ's exclusive club.

Let me guess.

A Jewish Muslim.......Jews for Allah?

A Muslim Jew..........Mohamids for Moses?

Evangelicals for Evolution.......Boxcars for Bonzo?
:lol:

hcap 08-02-2013 03:56 AM

Here ya go. Take notes box. So you can learn some new material.

[YT="Best Movie Ever?"]/_zHN4vCfwh4?f[/YT]

hcap 08-02-2013 09:53 AM

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...hts-meditation

Neuroscientists and the Dalai Lama Swap Insights on Meditation

An encounter with His Holiness the Dalai Lama and the scientific study of meditation

By Christof Koch

...From introspection, we are all familiar with the mental clutter, the chatter that makes up our daily life. It is a rapid fire of free associations, of jumping from one image, speech fragment or memory to the next. Late-night lucubrations are particularly prone to such erratic zigzagging. Focusing on a single line of argument or thought requires deliberate, laborious and conscious effort from which we flee. We prefer to be distracted by external stimuli, conversations, radio, television or newspapers. Desperate not to be left alone within our mind, to avoid having to think, we turn to our constant electronic companions to check for incoming messages.

...More important, even when the monks were not meditating, but simply quietly resting, their baseline brain activity was distinct from that of the students. That is, these techniques, practiced by Buddhists for millennia to quiet, focus and expand the mind—the interior aspect of the brain—had changed the brain that is the exterior aspect of the mind. And the more training they had, the bigger the effect.

Light 08-02-2013 11:38 AM

I've already discussed meditation with his holiness (boxcar) and he has snubbed his nose about it. Personally I do not see how anyone can find God (besides Moses talking to a burning bush) without going inside like meditation offers. I personally believe Jesus meditated a lot in the "lost years" and that's how he obtained his strong bond with God and learned his mission on Earth. Because as Jesus said, God is within. Buddha also meditated intensely before becoming enlightened. Again boxcar the great knows better than Jesus and Buddha combined. :lol:

But I also think that if you "find yourself" you will also find God. I don't see the two being different. You are not your body or your mind. Both will die. You are not your history either. Most of that doesn't exist anymore except in your mind which dies. Your essence is inextricably woven with God because that is your origin.

One other note, the discussion about "Jewish Christians" is only relevant to Earthlings not the afterlife. There is no ethnicity nor religion in the afterlife. There is only you and God. How do I know? Afterlife experiences of others, plus it makes sense.

hcap 08-02-2013 12:17 PM

Absolutely correct.

I have been "discussing" these issues with Mr Perfect for quite a while. 10 years ago I mentioned inner stillness and how ANYONE may benefit from practicing mindfulness. No matter what belief system you adhere to. More importantly is doing thed work on a pratical level rather than only the intellectual-a major source of inner chatter.

Just imagine how noisy it must be to be boxcar.

:cool:

thaskalos 08-02-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Light

But I also think that if you "find yourself" you will also find God. I don't see the two being different.

"Man know thyself...and you shall know the universe and God." -- Pythagoras, 500 BC

hcap 08-02-2013 05:21 PM

What I find interesting is there now is empirical evidence for positive changes in brain function thru meditation and other practical techniques. Verified by many studies. That is assuming you believe the befits ARE positive, and not illusions caused by Lucifer and other demons.

Could very well be, many prefer "smiting evil-doers" And proving they are always right no matter what.

TJDave 08-02-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos
"Man, know thyself"

Pythagoras, the original hipster.

OTM Al 08-02-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave
Pythagoras, the original hipster.

And cult figure!

Anyone think we'll ever get an answer on the contradiction surrounding the birth of Jesus. I'm starting to think someone's evangelical Bible study workbooks must not have covered that one.....

TJDave 08-02-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcap
That is assuming you believe the befits ARE positive, and not illusions caused by Lucifer and other demons.

Belief in eternal damnation has kept people socialized for centuries. Nothing wrong with that.

TJDave 08-02-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTM Al
Anyone think we'll ever get an answer on the contradiction surrounding the birth of Jesus. I'm starting to think someone's evangelical Bible study workbooks must not have covered that one.....

What's ten years? I don't remember the 60's yet somehow survived.

I want to know about Jesus walking with dinosaurs. I think it would make a better movie.

OTM Al 08-02-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave
What's ten years? I don't remember the 60's yet somehow survived.

I want to know about Jesus walking with dinosaurs. I think it would make a better movie.

I think we have to stick with a Pre-Noah character for that flick. I think they claim the dinosaurs were wiped out in the flood or some such. Might be a little off on that one as when I heard it my brain started engaging emergency shut down procedures to avoid complete meltdown. It would be awesome though wouldn't it?