Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Paul Allen @ Canterbury Park (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171967)

westernmassbob 08-11-2022 08:30 AM

Paul Allen @ Canterbury Park

This guy has a unique spirited call. He makes a lot of those races much more interesting then they probably are. Bravo. I would say in my top five of current race callers. I would love to hear him call at least once race at Saratoga.

wisconsin 08-11-2022 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westernmassbob (Post 2823391)
This guy has a unique spirited call. He makes a lot of those races much more interesting then they probably are. Bravo. I would say in my top five of current race callers. I would love to hear him call at least once race at Saratoga.

He is also the radio voice of the Minnesota Vikings. His banter during the race call is quite entertaining.

v j stauffer 08-11-2022 11:10 AM

A self made man that has carved out an amazing niche for himself in the Twin Cities.

Glad to see his race calls are being well received.

PA = GOOD MAN!

tbwinner 08-11-2022 12:11 PM

I am actually planning a day trip next Wednesday to CBY. I was there once for simulcasting but never saw a live card. I listened to his calls last night and was impressed, and a pretty full field card next Wednesday night !!

BarchCapper 08-11-2022 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisconsin (Post 2823398)
He is also the radio voice of the Minnesota Vikings. His banter during the race call is quite entertaining.

Radio voice of the Vikings and a 3 hour weekday morning program on sports radio provides a lot of opportunity for potential racing fans to "cross over" from other sports. I think that plays itself out nicely with the type of demographic Canterbury Park draws on a regular basis.

craigbraddick 08-11-2022 05:27 PM

He is a very nice man as well as a fine race caller.

jameegray1 08-11-2022 09:24 PM

:pound::pound::pound:

westernmassbob 08-11-2022 09:34 PM

I forgot to mention and if someone knows Paul can you please get this message back to him. I think there is a microphone with the technology built in to remove or reduce breathing noises. Just to be clear he is one of the best race callers I have heard but his mic picks up his breathing too much. Maybe Vic Stauffer knows what I’m talking about ?

cj 08-11-2022 09:41 PM

I personally can't stand the schtick, but he seems to have a following so more power to him.

rgustafson 08-12-2022 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2823581)
I personally can't stand the schtick, but he seems to have a following so more power to him.

As a long time follower of Canterbury, I agree with Craig. It gets old when you hear it day after day.:):

cj 08-12-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgustafson (Post 2823660)
As a long time follower of Canterbury, I agree with Craig. It gets old when you hear it day after day.:):

It probably has to do with me having to watch every replay there for a few years, I had to mute it after a while. :)

v j stauffer 08-12-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westernmassbob (Post 2823579)
I forgot to mention and if someone knows Paul can you please get this message back to him. I think there is a microphone with the technology built in to remove or reduce breathing noises. Just to be clear he is one of the best race callers I have heard but his mic picks up his breathing too much. Maybe Vic Stauffer knows what I’m talking about ?

"Breathy" sounds and popping "P's" are the responsibility of a tracks sound engineer.

All announcers can do is wear the head set properly and try to enunciate well.

Which IMO Paul does very well.

craigbraddick 08-12-2022 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgustafson (Post 2823660)

I never said that about Paul Allen, lol!

v j stauffer 08-12-2022 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigbraddick (Post 2823723)
I never said that about Paul Allen, lol!

C J, looks like you're gonna have to look into making a change! :pound:

craigbraddick 08-12-2022 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2823731)
C J, looks like you're gonna have to look into making a change! :pound:

Oscar Wilde had nothing on you, did he?