Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Chief Wahoo (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143058)

GaryG 01-29-2018 03:21 PM

Chief Wahoo

The chief is retiring to the reservation after this season. He has been the Indians' primary logo since 1947. Is it just me or is that block C incredibly lame? They have been the Indians since 1915 and will continue to be, much to the chagrin of the PC folks in Toronto that made such an issue of it at the playoffs last year. Maybe he will see Chief Noc-a-homa who was the mascot of the Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves from 1950-86.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index...ndians_58.html

burnsy 01-29-2018 05:42 PM

I'm a Yankee fan, but i love that logo! Its one of the best!

barahona44 01-29-2018 06:23 PM

Purchased one in 1990 at the HOF, (along with a few other team shirts that were not available in my neck of the woods such as the Mariners, White Sox and Astros)has still held up, good quality.Love Chief Wahoo but I understand why some people might be offended.However, I still will wear it.

PaceAdvantage 01-29-2018 06:37 PM

Thanks for reminding me I need to buy a new Yankees cap. I also bought a Cleveland Indians hat as a collector's item...

NJ Stinks 01-29-2018 07:57 PM

I bought my Cleveland Indian cap in Cleveland about 12 years ago. I bought it because the Chief makes the Indians hat pretty cool IMO. Put a C on the hat and I'm thinking Chicago - not Cleveland.

Hey, I bought a Cardinals hat in St. Louis a while ago because I like the look of the Cardinal sitting on the bat.

Sue me. :rolleyes:

JustRalph 01-29-2018 08:01 PM

This is crap

Marshall Bennett 01-30-2018 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2268831)
This is crap

It really is. Don't be surprised if statues depicting notorious cowboys don't start coming down. Anything in public view with "Indian" written on it removed, ect.

barahona44 01-30-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett (Post 2268965)
It really is. Don't be surprised if statues depicting notorious cowboys don't start coming down. Anything in public view with "Indian" written on it removed, ect.

Does that include statues of Gandhi? :D

Teach 01-30-2018 02:37 PM

The Indians could replace Chief Wahoo with a depiction of the Cuyahoga River (it was once on fire years ago because of the pollution). Other possibilities could be a rendering of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. Or, maybe, Lebron James. On second thought...

If you can find a picture of Chief Wahoo from between the years 1946 to 1950, you could easily see why they changed his image.

What is this all leading up to? Soon, we'll see ornithologists saying they want to change the Orioles and Blue Jays. Blatant discrimination against birds.

Even the New York Yankees might have to change their logo. When the English took over New York (formerly New Netherlands) from the Dutch, the Dutch mocked the English coming off the boat by calling them "Johnny Cake". Dutch words are: Jan Kees, thus corrupted into the word: Yankees. Too demeaning to those of Dutch ancestry.

Racetrack Playa 01-30-2018 03:10 PM

GaryG 01-30-2018 05:05 PM

I would have thought of something else for San Francisco.......:lol:

Racetrack Playa 01-30-2018 05:23 PM

Yeah , hows about the left-handed lesbian albino midget eskimos , is that close GaryG. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage 01-30-2018 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racetrack Playa (Post 2269232)

Yup, it's a pretty racist hat...I'm surprised it lasted this long.

pandy 01-30-2018 11:26 PM

Very strange. The team name is Indians and they can't put a logo of an Indian on their uniforms. Nutty. MLB must have come down on them because they are still going to sell merchandize with the logo.

Rutgers 01-31-2018 12:44 AM

Why is Chief Wahoo (and Chief Illiniwek) offensive but not the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and the leprechaun logo?