Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Any PA members currently using Betfair? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143559)

JerryBoyle 03-01-2018 12:09 PM

Any PA members currently using Betfair?

What's the experience like? I was watching some TAM races yesterday and the amount matched was ~5x the total win pool by the time the race closed. I'd like to download the free historical data, but unfortunately I'm not a NJ resident :(.

A couple questions for anyone who may be using the exchange:

Anyone ever set up a program to trade against it/use the data in a model for the pari mutuel pools?

Have you noticed that you'e able to get down more/less money on a runner as compared to the win pool?

Do you trade in and out of positions, or lock in a bet and wait for the race to finish?

AltonKelsey 03-01-2018 01:33 PM

5X the total on track win pool?

cutchemist42 03-01-2018 02:02 PM

Used to love it years ago until Canadians were blocked from it.

You could get great prices and plus you could lock in decimal odds that you liked.

I know some use Asianconnect to access Betfair through 9wickets. If I wasnt scared about the process, I would be on there in a heatbeat.

JerryBoyle 03-01-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AltonKelsey (Post 2284309)
5X the total on track win pool?

As in, if the total parimutuel win pool is 10k, the total matched amount on betfair was 50k

AltonKelsey 03-01-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryBoyle (Post 2284493)
As in, if the total parimutuel win pool is 10k, the total matched amount on betfair was 50k

I knew what you meant, sounded high. Actually that's quite impressive. Betfair UK now blocks usa ip's, and you have to jump through hoops just to use the site.

Looking at the usa site, when you press refresh, the total $ matched jumps around wildly and randomly. Whats that about?

SG4 03-01-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

I have not seen anything remotely resembling this ever in the pools I've seen in North America, the track total usually dwarfs the exchange total. Granted, I use the exchange infrequently, but the main reason for the infrequent use is the small amount of liquidity in the exchange relative to the amount I'm looking to bet.

I will track Tampa Bay's races tomorrow for a comparison & will come back here with results.

If you're a small to mid-range player though, the exchange offers some really solid opportunities, particularly if you prefer longer priced horses.

SG4 03-01-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryBoyle (Post 2284272)
I'd like to download the free historical data, but unfortunately I'm not a NJ resident :(.

Just in case anyone has a misconception, you don't have to be a NJ resident to use the Betfair exchange, you just need to be located in NJ at time of use. On the flip side if I'm an NJ resident & I happen to be out of the state at a given time, I'm out of luck to use the exchange as well.

So feel free to pop in to the garden state & download away (where is this free historical data anyway?)

davew 03-02-2018 12:37 AM

Quote:

so 25K to win and 25K to lose? do they have in-running? what kind of feed would you have or is someone at the track on the phone with you? is the pool merged with Europe and Australia, or just New Jersey?

JerryBoyle 03-02-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2284667)
so 25K to win and 25K to lose? do they have in-running? what kind of feed would you have or is someone at the track on the phone with you? is the pool merged with Europe and Australia, or just New Jersey?

I'm not sure how they calculate matched amount. It was also fluctuating heavily in the minutes up to the races.

I contacted customer support and they said the $ is commingled with the euro exchange.

Fox 03-02-2018 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2284667)

That’s the thing, they count the stake twice. If I back a horse for $10 and match, they count $20 towards the volume. So it’s best to cut in half their posted number when comparing to the win pool.

JerryBoyle 03-02-2018 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SG4 (Post 2284654)
Just in case anyone has a misconception, you don't have to be a NJ resident to use the Betfair exchange, you just need to be located in NJ at time of use. On the flip side if I'm an NJ resident & I happen to be out of the state at a given time, I'm out of luck to use the exchange as well.

So feel free to pop in to the garden state & download away (where is this free historical data anyway?)

I attempted to register using my address but was redirected to my state's TVG site. If what you're saying is true, could I use either a VPN or AWS instance located in NJ to register and bet?

The historical data is here: https://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home. Unfortunately, volume isn't included in the free tier.

upthecreek 03-02-2018 06:54 AM

Acct eligibility

Only residents of New Jersey will be able to sign up to use the exchange, and all U.S. bets on the exchange will be required to be placed while the resident is physically in New Jersey. Betfair intends to use geolocation technology to ensure that the bets are being placed within the borders of the state

SG4 03-02-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryBoyle (Post 2284673)
I attempted to register using my address but was redirected to my state's TVG site. If what you're saying is true, could I use either a VPN or AWS instance located in NJ to register and bet?

The historical data is here: https://historicdata.betfair.com/#/home. Unfortunately, volume isn't included in the free tier.

My apologies, I had been under the wrong impression for awhile now and just confirmed with a Betfair rep that you do indeed need to be a NJ resident along with being in the state at time of wagering.

Also confirmed with them that the pools showing for instance $100 matched means $100 was put up on each side, so this is not a doubling of the actual handle.

AltonKelsey 03-02-2018 12:34 PM

Would be kind of disingenuous to double count, so not surprised they DON'T do it.

And $ merged with Betfair Europe, certainly a good thing.

JerryBoyle 03-02-2018 01:24 PM

Watching TAM R2 now, at start of race total win pool was $51k while last flash of total matched that I saw was $59k. Matched amount continues jumping presumably as in-play wagering is going on. Finished at $69k matched.

Why does the matched amount jump around so drastically? I would thing if two people enter into a position and then close it out by taking the other side, that still counts towards the matched total?