Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I guess Texas can be cold at times (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163135)

fast4522 02-11-2021 09:29 PM

I guess Texas can be cold at times

6 Dead, Dozens Injured After Pileup Of Over 130 Vehicles On I-35W In Fort Worth.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/02/11/...5w-fort-worth/

Mulerider 02-11-2021 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fast4522 (Post 2701023)
6 Dead, Dozens Injured After Pileup Of Over 130 Vehicles On I-35W In Fort Worth.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/02/11/...5w-fort-worth/

We Texans aren't known for our ability to drive on ice.

Sunday through Tuesday has all the makings of an epic disaster in my part of Texas. Freezing rain is forecast for Monday, with the temps falling to 5 degrees Monday night.

I have no doubt I'll be without power for a few days.

TJDave 02-11-2021 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulerider (Post 2701024)
We Texans aren't known for our ability to drive on ice.

JustRalph 02-11-2021 11:27 PM

The media has people freaking out down here.

Pipe insulation is sold out everywhere

Been trying to round up stray pups and loose dogs ......

Lots are going to freeze

Mulerider 02-12-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2701038)
The media has people freaking out down here.

Pipe insulation is sold out everywhere

Been trying to round up stray pups and loose dogs ......

Lots are going to freeze

Weather service has lowered Monday night's low to 0 after a day of freezing rain.

Worried now about being able to get to my land to tend to my horses and mules. I've got four-wheel-drive but if pine trees are down it won't help.

Have to say, I'm not looking forward to this.

46zilzal 02-12-2021 08:23 AM

LONG AGO, when I lived in Houston for awhile, there were about three times when the temperature dropped something like 30 degrees plus in less than 12 hours when a cold front moved down from off the planes states north.

JustRalph 02-12-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulerider (Post 2701070)
Weather service has lowered Monday night's low to 0 after a day of freezing rain.

Worried now about being able to get to my land to tend to my horses and mules. I've got four-wheel-drive but if pine trees are down it won't help.

Have to say, I'm not looking forward to this.

I know a few people that are taking their trucks and equipment out to the barn for the weekend and staying until it’s over. One has a camper 5th wheel, he is leaving tonight. He has cattle to round up. Wants them in the barn for Sunday-Monday

xtb 02-12-2021 11:32 AM

Global warming is a bitch.

PaceAdvantage 02-12-2021 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtb (Post 2701106)
Global warming is a bitch.

Indeed. I mean just look at this headline on NOAA:

xtb 02-12-2021 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2701110)
Indeed. I mean just look at this headline on NOAA:

Tied with 1923. We're doomed.

https://www.hstoday.us/subject-matte...rmest-for-u-s/

Marshall Bennett 02-12-2021 12:51 PM

I lucked out. A supply of portable generators arrived at Walmart as I was going in. Home Depot was sold out. People need to understand that ice a lot of build-up will cause more power outages than any storm might. I'll at least have a couple space heaters and some lights.
I remember Dec. 1989 well...it dropped to 6 degrees.

JustRalph 02-12-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett (Post 2701124)
I lucked out. A supply of portable generators arrived at Walmart as I was going in. Home Depot was sold out. People need to understand that ice a lot of build-up will cause more power outages than any storm might. I'll at least have a couple space heaters and some lights.
I remember Dec. 1989 well...it dropped to 6 degrees.

Ive been my house in north Houston for going on 6 years now.

The first 3.5-4 years my power went out every 2-3 months. Mostly for less than 12 hours. Of course Harvey was an exception. Out for 2-3 days then out again for a day.

2 years ago my Mother in law and brother in law who live about a half hour from me, called up and we went to the local Generac dealer in north Houston and cut a deal for 3 whole house generators (22 watt?) instead of 11k a piece we paid about $8500 each and got 3 yrs of Maint. And 10 yr warranty included.

Pretty good deal. My power has been out 20 minutes in the last 2 years.........the damn thing has run a total of 12 hours and 99% of that is on the weekly automated test cycle. The electronics on this thing can email you a Maint. Report............so much for needing a generator.

I do feel a little more comfortable watching this weather come in

woodtoo 02-12-2021 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2701177)

The first 3.5-4 years my power went out every 2-3 months. Mostly for less than 12 hours. Of course Harvey was an exception. Out for 2-3 days then out again for a day.

2 years ago my Mother in law and brother in law who live about a half hour from me, called up and we went to the local Generac dealer in north Houston and cut a deal for 3 whole house generators (22 watt?) instead of 11k a piece we paid about $8500 each and got 3 yrs of Maint. And 10 yr warranty included.

Pretty good deal. My power has been out 20 minutes in the last 2 years.........the damn thing has run a total of 12 hours and 99% of that is on the weekly automated test cycle. The electronics on this thing can email you a Maint. Report............so much for needing a generator.

Thats a good idea it should last forever and if you sell you'll get your money back.
My power goes out 20 minutes a month, just about every month. I hear Generac is the best.

garyscpa 02-12-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2701177)

Yeah, but you've still got to reset your clocks.

And don't forget the kitties. :ThmbUp:

Mulerider 02-12-2021 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodtoo (Post 2701187)
Thats a good idea it should last forever and if you sell you'll get your money back.
My power goes out 20 minutes a month, just about every month. I hear Generac is the best.

We're getting plans drawn up for our last house, and it will include a whole-house generator. Can't decide whether to go with Generac or Cummins.