Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Best 3 Year Old Crop in a long time? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115749)

Smarty Cide 07-28-2014 06:38 PM

Best 3 Year Old Crop in a long time?

This has got to be the best 3 yo crop in a long time. Obviously California Chrome is great. Bayern is maturing into an absolute beast and is probably at this point CC's biggest threat. Wicked Strong, Tonalist, and Commanding Curve are all very good horses. Samraat and Social Inclusion are also pretty solid. Untapable, although no Rachel, is a pretty good filly. Unless I missed something at some point Danza will be back. And im sure im forgetting a few others.

All in all a pretty solid crop a 3 year olds....

Medal Count is fugazi been saying it since april

horses4courses 07-28-2014 06:50 PM

How can you say that until they have faced older horses?

I know Bayern is starting to chalk up some nice Beyers,
but before June nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

You could be right, but I think it's still early.

dilanesp 07-28-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarty Cide
This has got to be the best 3 yo crop in a long time. Obviously California Chrome is great. Bayern is maturing into an absolute beast and is probably at this point CC's biggest threat. Wicked Strong, Tonalist, and Commanding Curve are all very good horses. Samraat and Social Inclusion are also pretty solid. Untapable, although no Rachel, is a pretty good filly. Unless I missed something at some point Danza will be back. And im sure im forgetting a few others.

Nobody knows until they run against older horses.

The best recent one was 2007.

devilsbag 07-28-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

This has got to be the best 3 yo crop in a long time.

When my standards get this low, usually it's 3AM and I've had way more than one too many.

tanner12oz 07-28-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

you can't be serious

Smarty Cide 07-28-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilsbag
When my standards get this low, usually it's 3AM and I've had way more than one too many.

kinda feel like we have had some bad bad bad 3 year old seasons as of late

Rex Phinney 07-28-2014 07:01 PM

Have to say I disagree, Social Inclusion has been a disappointment.

Bayern just two days ago was thought to be a one turn horse. He won a nice race for sure, but he still hasn't contended at 10f.

Tonalist just proved he is no superhorse and Wicked Strong spent the time between the Wood and the Jim Dandy proving the same.

Commanding Curve??? He is a nice horse but nothing I'd say makes this crop stand out.

You gotta let the whole year play out before saying for sure.

Smarty Cide 07-28-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Phinney
Have to say I disagree, Social Inclusion has been a disappointment.

Bayern just two days ago was thought to be a one turn horse. He won a nice race for sure, but he still hasn't contended at 10f.

Tonalist just proved he is no superhorse and Wicked Strong spent the time between the Wood and the Jim Dandy proving the same.

Commanding Curve??? He is a nice horse but nothing I'd say makes this crop stand out.

You gotta let the whole year play out before saying for sure.

Thats true but i dont think we could of said that about many classes in recent history... Thats all im saying

Guess it helps that we have a Kentucky Derby champ that is going to make noise down the road a lot of recent winners kinda fizzled out

DeltaLover 07-28-2014 07:08 PM

Until they beat olders in top companies (see Curlin) this crop is no better than what we had during the last years.

Smarty Cide 07-28-2014 07:11 PM

sometimes the writting is just on the wall.

for example Sammy Watkins and Teddy Bridgewater are going to be great NFL football players

Robert Fischer 07-28-2014 07:25 PM

This crop is still proving itself, but is very solid.

California Chrome had a great first half of the season so far.

Tonalist is pretty much the definition of solid. He's right on the fence, and will have to move forward to really be a top horse.

Wicked Strong did move forward, and has run in a lot of big races, and trained consistently well.

Bayern has been very good on his day, when he gets his trip.

Shared Belief is trying to make another run at what were some very high expectations.

Untapable is a very good filly.

Sure there's others who I haven't thought of.

andtheyreoff 07-28-2014 07:43 PM

I would have to say calling Social Inclusion "solid" is laughable. He hasn't even placed in a graded stakes race, at any distance, ever.

And the selection of 3yos listed here is curiously random. Danza and Samraat get mentioned by name, but no word about Shared Belief or Honor Code?

zico20 07-28-2014 08:08 PM

Here is the way I see it based on what I think they can do against older horses and how they will top out based on their record and their potential.

Grade 1

California Chrome
Shared Belief
Bayern

Grade 2

Tonalist

Grade 3

Wicked Strong

The rest of the 3 year old crop will have a few overnight stakes winners but the majority will become allowance horses.

Wicked Strong must prove he can run a good race outside of New York. Just like Commanding Curve must prove he can run somewhere other than CD.

Of course a couple of horses will come out of nowhere and win a graded stakes race, but we just have to wait and find out who.

Speed Figure 07-28-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
I would have to say calling Social Inclusion "solid" is laughable. He hasn't even placed in a graded stakes race, at any distance, ever.

And the selection of 3yos listed here is curiously random. Danza and Samraat get mentioned by name, but no word about Shared Belief or Honor Code?

Before his last race, he ran 3rd in 3 straight graded races, G2, G1, G1.

Smarty Cide 07-28-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Figure
Before his last race, he ran 3rd in 3 straight graded races, G2, G1, G1.

in that guys book however that dont qualify as solid.... thats whats actually laughable