Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Religion II (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136470)

Actor 12-08-2018 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye (Post 2404826)
Space and Time were created in an instant according to the Scientists.

What is your source for that?

boxcar 12-09-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2404889)
The question is which of us needs to come to our senses. In the several years since the Religion thread was started you have given no reason for one to reject science, as you have, and embrace superstition, as you do.

I'm in full possession of all my senses (most especially common sense) and my wits. I know there are no alternatives or options between Time and Timlessness. So...which one of really needs to come to our senses?

[b]You were the one who brought up the definition of temporal.So explain how any of the definitions given in M-W lead to that conclusion.[/QUOTE]

Quit acting like a first grader and start to figure these rudimentary things out for yourself. The primary definition to "temporal" is "of or relating to time as opposed to eternity." Does this definition float your little rubber ducky?

Also, you said that "temporal" is a religious term. Shirley U. Jest. Let me ask you: Does your body require sleep? Does your body require food to continue its existence? Do you require water to live? If "yes" to all the above, then you have just conceded that your body has very definite or definable limits -- that you have a limited existence. You are in fact (as we all are) finite beings. And this means we cannot be eternal in nature. Therefore, on this earth, we are be temporal beings. The Law of Excluded Middle applies here because there is no third option.

Actor 12-09-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2405002)
I'm in full possession of all my senses (most especially common sense) and my wits. I know ...

How do you know?

Quote:

Quit acting like a first grader ...

Ad hominem attack!

Quote:

The primary definition to "temporal" is "of or relating to time as opposed to eternity."

Now we need a definition for "eternity."

Quote:

Also, you said that "temporal" is a religious term.

See definitions #1 abd #2 from M-W.

Quote:

... your body has very definite or definable limits -- that you have a limited existence.

And I accept that. But your claim is that this limitation can be overcome. You have failed to provide any evidence for that.

boxcar 12-09-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2405055)
How do you know?

The Law of Excluded Middle tells me there is no third alternative to Time and Timelessness.

Quote:

Ad hominem attack!
It would be if it weren't true.

Quote:

Now we need a definition for "eternity."
Infinite. Timelessness.

Quote:

See definitions #1 abd #2 from M-W.
I don't see any religious connotations in the definition.

Quote:

And I accept that. But your claim is that this limitation can be overcome. You have failed to provide any evidence for that.
The historical event, witnessed by many, of the Resurrection of Christ.

HalvOnHorseracing 12-09-2018 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2404637)
What is your source for that? I've studied Einstein's theory and I don't think he ever came to any such conclusion.

So I can't get back to Arcangues?

thaskalos 12-10-2018 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2405114)

How many witnessed the resurrection of Christ...and...why didn't this earth-shattering event make the headlines of that time period?

Actor 12-10-2018 03:32 AM

Quote:

I don't see any religious connotations in the definition.

Seriously? The second definition contains the words laity, clergy and Christian; the third contains the word spiritual. And you see no religious connotation? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Quote:

We've been through this before. Even if an ancient preacher named Jesus existed (highly doubtful) there are no accounts of the resurrection outside Christian propaganda.

boxcar 12-10-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2405201)
How many witnessed the resurrection of Christ...and...why didn't this earth-shattering event make the headlines of that time period?

Hundreds according to Paul (1Cor 15:6). Also, as far as writers of the NT, we have Peter, James, John and Paul -- all eyewitnesses.

And the bigger and more pertinent question is: If Jesus did not rise from his tomb, how in the world did Christianity become a worldwide religion, since the very cornerstone to the Christian Faith is the Resurrection? Why didn't the Christ-haters of Jesus' day simply produce his body after three days? They could have shut down the entire Jesus movement in no time flat.

boxcar 12-10-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2405211)
Seriously? The second definition contains the words laity, clergy and Christian; the third contains the word spiritual. And you see no religious connotation? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just because those words are there, doesn't make temporal a religious term.

In fact, the definition that contains the words "clerical or sacred", reads thus:

lay or secular RATHER than clerical or sacred (emphasis mine).

And "spiritual" is not in my M-W definition at all.

Quote:

We've been through this before. Even if an ancient preacher named Jesus existed (highly doubtful) there are no accounts of the resurrection outside Christian propaganda.
Why would there be? Jesus appeared to HIS people, not to the world at large. Jesus made his entrance into this world in Israel, remember?

Greyfox 12-10-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2405201)
why didn't this earth-shattering event make the headlines of that time period?

Headlines? :rolleyes:
The printing press wasn't invented until circa 1440.
It's not as though citizens could go to their local newsstands and grab a NY Times.

thaskalos 12-10-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2405239)
Headlines? :rolleyes:
The printing press wasn't invented until circa 1440.
It's not as though citizens could go to their local newsstands and grab a NY Times.

Come on, Greyfox...you honestly couldn't spot my attempt at humor by my use of "headlines" in that context? You seriously thought that I actually believed in the existence of NEWSPAPERS at that time? :rolleyes:

The topic of Jesus's resurrection has been a tired argument in this thread...as is Boxcar's hypothesis that the "resurrection" is the only way by which Christianity could be widespread as a religion. The truth is that this supposed resurrection does not exist at all as a historical event...even though such a stunning development could NEVER have been expected to be ignored by the annals of history.

And, as far as the "popularity" of Christianity is concerned...it is equally truthful that Rome, after it accepted Christianity as its official religion...resorted to terrifying acts of extreme brutality in its attempt to spread the "Christian beliefs" among the 'unbelievers'. To believe in different religions became a crime punishable by death...and the early Roman Christian Church practically INVENTED the act of book-burning when it came to dealing with questionable reading material. To believe that Christianity could only become widespread because of its "divine origin" is to exhibit ignorance to the ultimate degree, as far as the "history of religion" is concerned.

thaskalos 12-10-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2405236)
Hundreds according to Paul (1Cor 15:6). Also, as far as writers of the NT, we have Peter, James, John and Paul -- all eyewitnesses.

And the bigger and more pertinent question is: If Jesus did not rise from his tomb, how in the world did Christianity become a worldwide religion, since the very cornerstone to the Christian Faith is the Resurrection? Why didn't the Christ-haters of Jesus' day simply produce his body after three days? They could have shut down the entire Jesus movement in no time flat.

Yes...yes...HUNDREDS of people witnessed the resurrected Jesus, "according to Paul". And yet...the earliest written mention of the miracle-working Jesus arrived many years after his departure from the scene. Hundreds saw him arise from the dead...but no one wrote anything about him during his stay here. :ThmbUp:

Greyfox 12-10-2018 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2405250)
Come on, Greyfox...you honestly couldn't spot my attempt at humor by my use of "headlines" in that context? You seriously thought that I actually believed in the existence of NEWSPAPERS at that time? :rolleyes:

Of course I knew that you knew that.
But in the absence of mass media, telecommunications, and a largely illiterate population, information would mainly be transmitted orally.
Official transcribers of history could put in and edit out whatever they wanted to.
An event such as the resurrection of any man might take 50 or more years to be written down on a parchment somewhere and even then it might be distorted as the game of telephone shows us. By that time most first hand witnesses would be dead with lifespans as short as they were in those days.
I have no problem that the Annals of History that you may be referring to have not mentioned that happening. I wouldn't expect them to.
Fortunately the Gospels were written down and offer some history for believers to seek solace in.

thaskalos 12-10-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2405258)
Of course I knew that you knew that.
But in the absence of mass media, telecommunications, and a largely illiterate population, information would mainly be transmitted orally.
Official transcribers of history could put in and edit out whatever they wanted to.
An event such as the resurrection of any man might take 50 or more years to be written down on a parchment somewhere and even then it might be distorted as the game of telephone shows us. By that time most first hand witnesses would be dead with lifespans as short as they were in those days.
I have no problem that the Annals of History that you may be referring to have not mentioned that happening. I wouldn't expect them to.
Fortunately the Gospels were written down and offer some history for believers to seek solace in.

The written word had become quite popular as a communication tool long BEFORE the emergence of Jesus. The Greek sages predated Jesus by HUNDREDS of years, and yet...they have left their footprints throughout the "Annals of History". And they were mere mortals...who remained in their graves after death. The thought that the genuine resurrection of a dead man could be kept off the written record for 50+ years after the fact is totally bewildering to me. People usually write these things down in a more timely manner.

Greyfox 12-10-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2405262)
The written word had become quite popular as a communication tool long BEFORE the emergence of Jesus...People usually write these things down in a more timely manner.

We disagree on that and yes I am a fan of Plato, not so much of Aristotle.
I believe, rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of citizens on the planet, before, during, and after the time of Christ were illiterate.
By 1820 only 12% of the people of the world could read.
That percentage would be far far lower a thousand years earlier and lower yet 1800 years earlier, particularly in the Middle-East.
I can't see how the written word was "quite popular" throughout most of history. If it was, I'm wrong.