Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dave Gutfreund Video says why he's had enough of horse racing. Will stick to Poker. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139266)

Andy Asaro 06-27-2017 08:24 AM

Dave Gutfreund Video says why he's had enough of horse racing. Will stick to Poker.

DeltaLover 06-27-2017 08:42 AM

@2:09

What's wrong with the computer programmers?

JimG 06-27-2017 09:29 AM

I always enjoyed the Starting Gate radio show he did in the late 90's. Anyone remember that?

spiketoo 06-27-2017 10:12 AM

Need a lil context here. Before he starts in as Capt Obvious to us in this room, he states a lawsuit went wrong which is why he he soured on racing. Sup wit dat?

jballscalls 06-27-2017 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiketoo (Post 2189297)
Need a lil context here. Before he starts in as Capt Obvious to us in this room, he states a lawsuit went wrong which is why he he soured on racing. Sup wit dat?

I believe Dave is part of the DerbyWars team

Charli125 06-27-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jballscalls (Post 2189305)
I believe Dave is part of the DerbyWars team

That's correct.

ReplayRandall 06-27-2017 11:59 AM

In the video, Gutfreund is a dead-ringer for Steely Dan's Donald Fagen...:cool:

dilanesp 06-27-2017 02:41 PM

He's playing a type of poker (large field, deep stack tournaments) that is basically pure gambling for all but a tiny number of elite players (and I'm not even sure about them-- it's possible that someone like Phil Hellmuth may just have a ton of rungood, as there are a number of players who are considered highly skilled who have mediocre results in deep-stack large field tournaments).

I hope for his sake that if he actually plans to play poker full time, he focuses on playing types of poker that he can be consistently profitable in over a large sample size. If he just wants to hit a jackpot payout in in the WSOP, might as well just play the lottery. It's less work and the chances are about the same. :)

aaron 06-27-2017 03:44 PM

Good job by Dave,concisely stating some of the biggest problems in horse racing, that never get addressed by horse racing columnists or commentators.

kingfin66 06-27-2017 09:32 PM

I have never heard of him, but I am glad to see him speaking out about a few of the problems in racing. He is absolutely right that the value is gone. Seems like a nice guy and well-known to some of you. As for poker, I don't know that the fact that he was interviewed during a WSOP event means that he only plays big tournaments. Many pros play both cash games and tournaments. Best of luck to him.

Small thing; did his glasses look crooked on his face?

kingfin66 06-27-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaLover (Post 2189281)
https://youtu.be/Tf_RnRhA5aw?t=2m9s

@2:09

What's wrong with the computer programmers?

Delta, he said late odds changes right after computer programmers. Perhaps he is referring to those computer 'capping whales that send money in right up to (after?) the race is off. It is the concept of arbitrage; good for them, bad for most. It is similar to the Bid/Ask concept in stock trading. The retail customer gets burned while the whales have a decided advantage. This is pure speculation on my part in trying to answer your question.

AltonKelsey 06-27-2017 11:56 PM

The late odds changes have been happening for decades. imo, way too much is made of it as a negative factor in anyone's game.

In order to have value , regularly, in a game with a confiscatory takeout, you need a steady and abundant supply of suckers.

Do we have that?

That said, if you do the hard work, and have loads of patience, there is still opportunity. If you want to bet every race or 20 races a day in simulcasts, you probably can't find that much edge.

barn32 06-27-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2189374)
He's playing a type of poker (large field, deep stack tournaments) that is basically pure gambling for all but a tiny number of elite players (and I'm not even sure about them-- it's possible that someone like Phil Hellmuth may just have a ton of rungood, as there are a number of players who are considered highly skilled who have mediocre results in deep-stack large field tournaments).

I hope for his sake that if he actually plans to play poker full time, he focuses on playing types of poker that he can be consistently profitable in over a large sample size. If he just wants to hit a jackpot payout in in the WSOP, might as well just play the lottery. It's less work and the chances are about the same. :)

The guy elected to play in a tournament for Christ sakes. Give him a ****ing break.

SandyW 06-28-2017 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2189374)

Don't worry about David Gutfreund, a very smart player and gambler, comes from a very wealthy family. I wish I was half the handicapper that he is.

AltonKelsey 06-28-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyW (Post 2189580)
Don't worry about David Gutfreund, a very smart player and gambler, comes from a very wealthy family. I wish I was half the handicapper that he is.

I don't know the guy or much about him, but if that's the case, then the only skill you need is not burning through your inheritance before you croak.

Everything else is just amusement.