Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Handicapping Software (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Powerline??? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12698)

Maxspa 06-13-2004 10:10 AM

Powerline???

Powerline Users,
All is too quiet in the Powerline camp ! Where are some user reactions? Positives , shortcomings, brief results, R.O.I. any general comments would be appreciated.
Maxspa
P.S. Ebay had the software for sale last week, It sold immediately!

lefthandlow 06-13-2004 11:50 AM

powerline

My guess is they are making MONEY and are to busy cashing.
Anything that is a winner is keep quiet IN MY OPINION.If I had
the money I'd be all over that program but on SS its a stretch.
LL

JimG 06-14-2004 03:24 PM

Re: Powerline???

Quote:

Originally posted by Maxspa
Powerline Users,
All is too quiet in the Powerline camp ! Where are some user reactions? Positives , shortcomings, brief results, R.O.I. any general comments would be appreciated.
Maxspa
P.S. Ebay had the software for sale last week, It sold immediately!

How much did it sell for on e-bay? Do you have a link to it?

Jim

Speed Figure 06-14-2004 03:28 PM

It was buy now at $299.

JimG 06-14-2004 04:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Speed.

Jim

Bob Allen 06-21-2004 01:07 PM

Power-Online V5 limited update

All who have been asking,

Since I received Power-Online I have been putzing with the IV%age Values and Min Starts. It's a terrific profit identifying tool but there are too many ties with the way I was trying to build my databases. I was using an IV% of 3.00 with Min. Starts of 13. I thought the 13 would help to avoid ties but some tracks run some distance/category combinations so infrequently that the scores come back as all 1.00. That makes the horse that wins, whichever one it is, as a Top horse when the reports are run. Needless to say, this skews the results.

So I decided to go back to the future and get smart (fat chance on that one). I went back and started building all of the databases again using only the Win %ages and ROI amounts.

In other words, I was following the pattern (not the exact method) Steve used in his incredible 500 race run. After rebuilding the databases I started testing with the Black Box as a confirmation tool. Only, unlike Steve, who used only the top 2 for verification I used the top three ala Steve Fierro's templates, although I didn't use the templates themselves. All I required was that after clicking on the Black Box that one of the horses in the race who was one of the top three in points in the consensus show a positive ROI. The horse with the highest positive ROI, if there were two, got the bet. If no horse showed a positive ROI then I passed the race.

Now before you go yelling that this is not a valid test, I shall admit that. One day is a test alright but not a valid statistical test.

Yesterday, I bet Arlington Park. It was not picked for any other reason than it was the first alphabetical track that had been completely converted back to Win %ages. That's all. I didn't look at the odds at all, probably should have, but I just wanted to do a short small money test on a track - hey, I needed the action. Here are the results:
Code:

APX 6/20/04

Race 1  Won  $7.60
Race 2  Passed
Race 3  Passed
Race 4  Won  $8.40
Race 5  Won $22.80
Race 6  Won $13.60 Also a cold Pick3 of $523.00
Race 7  Won  $6.20 Also a cold Pick3 of $238.60
Race 8  Out
Race 9  Passed

Return $58.60
Bet Ttl $12.00
Profit  $46.60 - I didn't bet the Pick3s :(
I'll let you figure the ROI

Will be looking for a longer term test but right now I'm just happy as a pig in slop.

I had promised JimG an update so here it is fella.

Bob

JimG 06-21-2004 01:47 PM

Bob,

I was just getting ready to ask you how it was going with Powerline. Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are happy with it and it is a very promising piece of software.

As for me, I am getting back into HTR as Ken Massa has updated quite alot since I last looked at it in 2001. Like you, I am very pleased with how it is going so far.

Hopefully, we will not land on the same horses but both be winners:D

Jim

Maxspa 06-21-2004 07:56 PM

Powerline Results!

Bob,
I appreciate you taking he time to respond! The types of approaches you used were particularly informative and shows how important handicapping techniques are in the whole scheme of things. After an initial test some of us would have put "Powerline" on the shelf. Perserverance and common sense is needed to utilize the software in a positive manner. What you have reported is exactly why users want to hear from fellow handicappers. Can this program be a viable option? At this point in time, I'm carefully optimistic. Please keep us informed!
Maxspa

LunaticFringe 06-23-2004 04:27 PM

Procaps/ExoticResults

I've recently purchased the PowerOnline software and I'd like to build up a database. Unfortunately TSN doesn't maintain an archive of these files pre-2004 [Steve includes files for this year]. Anyone know if there's somewhere I can get these files for 2003 [and perhaps earlier]? I'm interested in the Procaps files and the associated Exotic Results Data files.

Rferguson 06-26-2004 06:43 PM

save

My advice is for you to save your money until they make some improvements, I've used it and followed all the rules and lost on a regular basis. I suppose that like Pizzola's program the only one that can make it work are the programmers. They seem to have eye for something that the average handicapper misses. I don't mean to knock anybody but to be honest the program has cost me a ton of money and I was only playing the races that met the suggested playable models.

JimG 06-26-2004 07:18 PM

Re: save

Quote:

Originally posted by Rferguson
My advice is for you to save your money until they make some improvements, I've used it and followed all the rules and lost on a regular basis. I suppose that like Pizzola's program the only one that can make it work are the programmers. They seem to have eye for something that the average handicapper misses. I don't mean to knock anybody but to be honest the program has cost me a ton of money and I was only playing the races that met the suggested playable models.
First real negative we have heard on this program. Glad you posted it. Rigid rules applied to any handicapping program I feel are not the way to go and programs that seem to gravitate in that direction are not what I look for.

The old debate using as a blackbox vs using as an information aid to regular handicapping come to mind.

I have not been able to automate my play. I still "have" to handicap using whatever software I might try out. Only one's I know that successfully automate use their own program and mostly in a "database fashion". Those folks are hard working data miners.

Hang in there Rferguson...I hope it turns better for you.

Jim

Secretariat 06-27-2004 01:38 AM

Re: save

Quote:

Originally posted by Rferguson
That's interesting, because Wolson ran a 500 race test here under selections playing almost every race and showed a profitable ROI. Not sure what more a software developer would have to do to prove the merits of his product.

lefthandlow 06-27-2004 09:05 AM

power line

I asked that same question of STEVE and he said the
user would come up with the same plays as he did.I didn't think so as I got sucked into a program and when i KEPT BLOWING $$
they said you picked the wrong paceline you sould have used 6 back instead of 3 back. Like the neg poster said the programmer makes money and that's it.The program produces a lot of different
screens so the user is always at fault for picking the wrong system,or method of POWERLINE
I would like to see STEVE pick a day anyday and post his picks and why each was chosen and the group who bought it could
digest the info for that day and get a grip on the way he use it CORRECTLY.This way STEVE won't get a lot of e-mail user questions and the buyer can see if his database produces the same results or figures that STEVE used at least for that day.. LL

wolsons 06-27-2004 09:37 AM

really now...

Guys,

Enough already. Virtually everybody who has purchased the program has reported positive results with the interface and the results - there has been exactly 1 return this year, and that was because of software incompatabilities with that buyer's particular machine - we gave him a full refund with no restocking charge.

Not sure what else you want us to do. We openly market the product as exactly what it is; we offer a website with the complete user manual available for free download; we offer a 30 day return policy (yes, with that DREADED 'restocking' charge, but if you sold software products to the public, I GUARANTEE you would see the need for that as well), we offer all the tech support you need forever at no charge; I came on here and posted picks for a couple of months BEFORE the races were run and posted the results each night, explaining that I was using the software in the dumbest way imaginable; we sent race card printouts to anybody who requested them prior to the races, etc, etc.

Now I got one guy on here bashing the software who tried to get a refund almost 60 days after purchasing it - I explained to him that the public expects us to live up to our return guarantees (which we do!), but that in return, we expect the customers to abide by them as well. And now I've got someone who has already made it clear that he would never be able to afford the program demanding publicly that I jump through some more hoops, and CONTINUE to post free selections WITH EXPLANATIONS!!

C'mon!

Steve

pasco 06-27-2004 09:59 AM

powerline

c'mon

Can 1 day of picks and how you used the program to get that pick.

That's all I said.Yes its true I can't afford your program I'm

not proud to said that either.I thought your picks were great

but there is no way everyone that uses pol5 will get the same out put

That's all I meant..Sorry if you took it the wrong way..LL