Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Stock Market Prediction (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133768)

PaceAdvantage 05-23-2022 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2806062)
you cannot play any game that only lets you bet one side of it. if you bet games, you bet the favorite or the underdog, if you bet horse racing you can bet any horse you want.. in equity markets you bet both ways too. if you think that being able to bet both ways is crap, you better find a different game.

Imagine not being able to short...

That's why I only trade S&P futures. You never have a problem going short. There is no such thing as "no contracts/shares available to short."

The only thing that can stop you from shorting is a locked limit down market...and if that's the case, you should have been short well before the circuit breaker was triggered...lol

plainolebill 05-23-2022 11:34 PM

I'm almost all energy and pipes, some fertilizer and chicken added to the mix. It's really crazy now. EQT, BTU and VET are my largest holdings.

I'm too slow on the uptake for options and day trading.

lamboguy 05-24-2022 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2806052)
the CEO of Starbucks hasn't bought stock in year, now all of a sudden this guy put in 2 separate buys last week. i am not in yet, but i will be.

this stock is down 37% for the year, completely out of business in some foreign countries and the CEO decides to stick $14 million of his own money in now. to me this means he knows the stock is going up.

lamboguy 05-24-2022 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainolebill (Post 2806124)
I'm almost all energy and pipes, some fertilizer and chicken added to the mix. It's really crazy now. EQT, BTU and VET are my largest holdings.

I'm too slow on the uptake for options and day trading.

i was touting Mosaic and CalMaine foods months ago. both have had big runs, probably more left to them. i never caught the move in coal though.

in my opinion, the biggest problem facing our country is the fast erosion of top soil. i really have no idea why none of our presidents this century have addressed this severe problem coming at us like a locomotive. those farmers have got to be doing something drastically wrong for years and getting away with it.

lamboguy 05-24-2022 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2806052)
the CEO of Starbucks hasn't bought stock in year, now all of a sudden this guy put in 2 separate buys last week. i am not in yet, but i will be.

just because the CEO thinks this stock is going up, the market sure as hell don't, and that is what it really comes down to.

so we already know that we are in a very long profound bear market that will have rallies all the way down to S+P 1140 (i know that is scary). so what we can do is try to pick good entry points on stocks like Starbucks and place our stops right underneath that spot. so i am going to put in order @ 68.63 and place stop .30 below that.

p.s. i never really cared for Starbucks Coffee. the one time i went in there, i bought a medium iced coffee for $3.75 about 5 years ago and the coffee didn't taste any better than the stuff i make at home that cost me about .30 between the coffee and the cream. what i do is make 2 cups at a time, with a filter that i paid $1.25 for 500 of them. i stick the one that i am not drinking right now without the ice cubes in them and black in the refrigerator until i am ready to drink it.

geroge.burns99 05-24-2022 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New low or a breakout or continue sideways ??

PaceAdvantage 05-24-2022 05:03 PM

Like I said a few days ago...definitely heading back to 20d moving average...then see what transpires...

Or it could meander and wait for 20MA to come to it...lol

lamboguy 05-24-2022 05:18 PM

it looks to me, for now anyway, that the markets are tired of going down, the energy to the downside is running out of steam. its probably going to take some time to make a bigger break to the downside. this thing will not go down in a straight line!

PaceAdvantage 05-24-2022 05:40 PM

No, it will definitely NOT.

It took 14 years to get to this point.

Down is always faster then up...but still...that's a lot of ground to cover...

That's why I also have said, this is going to take a while...and people 5-10 years out from retirement are NOT going to be happy.

lamboguy 05-24-2022 05:52 PM

CEO buys $1 million worth of Rivian

RIVN, last week. the stock then moved up 8% and then got a contract from Amazon for a major purchase deal.

this is a tough one! is the stock going to keep going, or is it done now! your guess is probably better than mine!

lamboguy 05-25-2022 01:30 AM

Robinhood

is down 70% since its initial public offering, yet billionaire investor Sam Bankman Fried has poured $624 million into this stock and now owns 7.6% of the company

lamboguy 05-25-2022 06:15 AM

are our world leaders smart?

geroge.burns99 05-25-2022 07:55 AM

Tesla's prejudice????

1 Attachment(s)
Are we chop liver up here in the NORTH!!!!

I have a charging station down the block from me....

lamboguy 05-25-2022 07:59 AM

only just begun

lamboguy 05-25-2022 08:05 AM

Indian Point Nuclear Plant

certain US congressmen have have pushed to close down Indian Point Nuclear Plant in New York State, yet out the back door yesterday its been reported that they are buying stock in Energy Fuels Inc. ticker symbol UUUU.

the congressmen buying this stock sit on some Nuclear Energy committees in the Congress.

i would say this is a real good one to get into today and just hold it. i am going in it now.

geroge.burns99 05-25-2022 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2806371)

Still encouraging you to BUY

Rex Phinney 05-25-2022 01:27 PM

Bond market is going apeshit today.

IMO this is the place to be. Money is going to flow to bonds while the stock market sorts its shit out.

geroge.burns99 05-25-2022 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Phinney (Post 2806449)
Bond market is going apeshit today.

IMO this is the place to be. Money is going to flow to bonds while the stock market sorts its shit out.

Back in June 2021.....

I diversified my portfolio......

A percentage went into IGLB......

At this time its down 20.89 %

I doubt I'll ever recover it....

That bond ETF and the one that was with Emerging Markets was my 2 worse POS funds.....

PaceAdvantage 05-25-2022 02:23 PM

Looks like S&P futures and the 20MA will meet somewhere around the 4000 mark...a perfect "natural" resistance level...look for it at a store near you

Rex Phinney 05-25-2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 (Post 2806467)
Back in June 2021.....

I diversified my portfolio......

A percentage went into IGLB......

At this time its down 20.89 %

I doubt I'll ever recover it....

That bond ETF and the one that was with Emerging Markets was my 2 worse POS funds.....

Easy fix, buy more now. Probably not that particular fund though. Bond ETF's are not my favorite. CEF's are better IMO.

That was just a bad time to buy, the last few months have been the exact opposite.

Rex Phinney 05-25-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2806471)
Looks like S&P futures and the 20MA will meet somewhere around the 4000 mark...a perfect "natural" resistance level...look for it at a store near you

So we should sell the baby rally there?

PaceAdvantage 05-25-2022 03:12 PM

It's at 3995 now...lol...

20MA = 4043

It moved up faster than I anticipated I guess...so 4000 might not be the resistance level...might go a little further than 4000...let's call it 4022

lamboguy 05-25-2022 04:32 PM

i am always very leary of these big moves up when the market is coming apart at the seams. they are selling off NVDA and SNOW off not bad earnings after hours.

there could be upgrades on valuation in the morning on these two that would support price, but i highly doubt it. tomorrow we might finally have an S+P closing price under 3800.

lamboguy 05-25-2022 04:35 PM

Pepsi

last week i touted Pepsi as a good short. stock has been dropping after the CEO unloaded $800,000 worth of stock..

please pay close attention to companies like McDonalds and Coca-Cola, they should come apart as well. i will remain short these names for a long, long time to come.

PaceAdvantage 05-25-2022 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2806486)
It's at 3995 now...lol...

20MA = 4043

It moved up faster than I anticipated I guess...so 4000 might not be the resistance level...might go a little further than 4000...let's call it 4022

Although it did come might close to 4000 today (3997.75).

If the market is weaker than I think, maybe 4000 will be the level and we go down from here...who knows...

Keep an eye on that 20MA

lamboguy 05-25-2022 05:28 PM

i have a friend that owns independent gas stations. he is telling me that he has a problem with the per gas per gallon price at the pump because he doesn't have enough digits if the price per gallon gets to $10.

if the price does make it to $10 a gallon, i wonder how many people will be at the McDonald's drive-through windows all over America ordering Big Macs?

lamboguy 05-25-2022 05:32 PM

a week ago, The Astro's, one of the top teams in baseball, were at Fenway Park playing the Red Sox. the weather was in the 70s and there were less than 20,000 people in the stands. 3 years ago, this game would have been standing room only.

Rex Phinney 05-25-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2806501)
last week i touted Pepsi as a good short. stock has been dropping after the CEO unloaded $800,000 worth of stock..

please pay close attention to companies like McDonalds and Coca-Cola, they should come apart as well. i will remain short these names for a long, long time to come.

The Nasdaq is down 30%

The S&P500 is down 20%

And you want to short the stock that after all the chaos is now down 3.5%?

Stock dropped about 6% after the CEO sale, has recovered half of it back already and never even tested it's lows of March.

There are LOTS of people that buy Pepsi at any sign of a good valuation, it will meet with alot more resistance going down than others. It just raised the dividend another 7%. I won't say how much of that stock I own, but the people buying weakness in Pepsi FAR exceed the ones shorting it. I'd guess any of the top ten names in the S&P500 are better short candidates than PEP.

PEP is up about 4.5% since you posted about shorting it BTW.

Rex Phinney 05-25-2022 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2806513)
i have a friend that owns independent gas stations. he is telling me that he has a problem with the per gas per gallon price at the pump because he doesn't have enough digits if the price per gallon gets to $10.

if the price does make it to $10 a gallon, i wonder how many people will be at the McDonald's drive-through windows all over America ordering Big Macs?

Well, I'd guess a whole bunch of them, because they won't be able to afford Chipotle, Chili's or a steakhouse.

Literally the worse the economy gets the better it is for MCD.

lamboguy 05-25-2022 08:50 PM

you are going long, i am going short. this is what makes a market. its pretty simple. you have your reasons to buy this, i have mine to sell it.

i am going to let the market become the final arbitrator in this. i am wrong plenty of times. i could be way off on these too. but i like my side even though i have to pay the dividend to remain short.

lamboguy 05-25-2022 10:28 PM

SNAP

this is a social media company. multiple insiders sold days before the CEO announced this stock would not be able to meet its earnings projections, and then the stock tanked 30%.

i got this way too late, and it's too late for me.

PaceAdvantage 05-26-2022 09:20 AM

OK...so....kinda looks like it should be nearing the end of the little rally that's been going on the past couple of days...got close enough to the 20D moving average that I feel comfortable saying this thing should peter out soon if indeed this thing is going to head lower (which it should).

And by head lower, I mean under 3800

geroge.burns99 05-26-2022 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2806610)
OK...so....kinda looks like it should be nearing the end of the little rally that's been going on the past couple of days...got close enough to the 20D moving average that I feel comfortable saying this thing should peter out soon if indeed this thing is going to head lower (which it should).

And by head lower, I mean under 3800

Apple taking hit now.......slow iphone sales

PaceAdvantage 05-26-2022 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 (Post 2806616)
Apple taking hit now.......slow iphone sales

You should always fade me...look what happened after I posted that...went straight to 4020 (which I said was where it should turn...lol)

Should be interesting from here on out....a sustained rally from here could lead to some snowballing short covering from the weak hands

PaceAdvantage 05-26-2022 10:36 AM

So, now it's a little above the 20day moving average...it hasn't touched the 20 day since April 21...

FakeNameChanged 05-26-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamboguy (Post 2806513)

My 15 y.o. granddaughter is doing well in her first job at Wendy's. She said on Tues. night, a lady came thru and ordered $99 worth of fast food. She's learning a valuable lesson in economics.

Rex Phinney 05-26-2022 01:28 PM

Seems like the market has digested the current inflow of information. I'm not sure I believe in this long term as everyone seems to forget about the fed in between meetings and earnings and housing bad news are on the way.

PaceAdvantage 05-26-2022 01:37 PM

It can go to 4222 and still only retrace 50% of the drop since March...which would be an appropriate move for a market that is dropping slow and deep...

Rex Phinney 05-26-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2806670)
It can go to 4222 and still only retrace 50% of the drop since March...which would be an appropriate move for a market that is dropping slow and deep...

All sounds reasonable.

geroge.burns99 05-26-2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged (Post 2806666)
My 15 y.o. granddaughter is doing well in her first job at Wendy's. She said on Tues. night, a lady came thru and ordered $99 worth of fast food. She's learning a valuable lesson in economics.

10 years ago...would have cost that lady $35

:lol: