Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Another photo finish controversy at Del Mar (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141807)

cj 11-11-2017 05:21 PM

Another photo finish controversy at Del Mar

"Horse racing has the best technology in the world".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

jay68802 11-11-2017 05:41 PM

I think they should increase take out, this has been proven to take care of all problems. They should not invest a little money to accurately time races and improve photo finish technology. That would be a waste of money.:rolleyes:

jocko699 11-11-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2240543)
"Horse racing has the best technology in the world".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

https://twitter.com/TVG/status/929470402031534080

CJ,

Completely agree. The best technology? :pound::pound::pound:
I swore the longshot won that race during the actual running BTW.

picojim 11-11-2017 06:45 PM

Dave Schwartz 11-11-2017 06:57 PM

A friend of mine, Ken Klein (who passed about 15 months ago), taught me a cool shortcut to telling who the winner is.

He said, "The shadow has no camera angle."

BTW, this works really well when eyeballing a race at the wire.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Quesmark 11-11-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz (Post 2240573)
A friend of mine, Ken Klein (who passed about 15 months ago), taught me a cool shortcut to telling who the winner is.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Only on a sunny day...

jocko699 11-11-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz (Post 2240573)

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Good advice!!!!!

Augenj 11-11-2017 07:49 PM

It looks like a head-bobbing photo with the 8 head "back and up" and the 6 head "down and low". Wouldn't the 8 cast a longer shadow since his head is higher than the 6? Much like a taller building casting a longer shadow than its shorter neighbor? This is assuming that they both are about the same height.

Franco Santiago 11-11-2017 08:08 PM

Honestly.

Shadows????

Come on.

If shadows told the truth, shadows would be used instead of actual images.

A myth.

Dave Schwartz 11-11-2017 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franco Santiago (Post 2240596)
Honestly.

Shadows????

Come on.

If shadows told the truth, shadows would be used instead of actual images.

A myth.

Look at the shadow in the photo.

TonyK@HSH 11-12-2017 01:08 AM

Kudos to Mr Chaney for speaking on the subject. I know that in many jurisdictions stewards refuse to comment on race related items. I do appreciate that the Cal Stewards are accessible.

JustRalph 11-12-2017 01:21 AM

The shadow always has an angle. It’s a different one than the camera, but it has angle, just like everything under the sun. They are all relative to the center point of the Light source, in this case the sun.

The distance between the two horses is another factor, no matter how small a difference, there is a difference. For the "shadow has no angle" theory to be true both noses would have to occupy the exact same space relative to the Light source. This includes distance from the ground too.... They cannot physically do that, so the distance between the horses provides just one factor that changes the angle of the shadow and their height above the ground causes another factor. There are others also.....you could break this down into a million reasons including cloud density. But you don’t......you agree to accept the track camera ......no matter how shitty the equipment is

AltonKelsey 11-12-2017 01:53 AM

The shadows are AHEAD of the horses, so because of the way the photo is taken (slit) , they are shot FIRST. By the time the horses themselves hit the wire , some time has passed and their heads have moved.

VigorsTheGrey 11-12-2017 02:22 AM

In the shadow of the 8 horse in foreground: why is the shadow of the rider's whip curved but straight in the jockeys hand? Also, why are the horses' ears at a lower angle than the horse...compared to the other horses' shadow that shows the ears at the correct angle...?

Also, the snout and the neck of the inside shadow is skinny and dog-like while the outer shadow has a fat neck and weird head...

RunForTheRoses 11-12-2017 08:09 AM

I think the 6 benefited by the bob and well...it is where the turf meets the surf

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/...re-id120355334