Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Will Rogers Downs Most Boring Announcer (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157543)

kernel 04-20-2020 04:52 PM

Will Rogers Downs Most Boring Announcer

The most monotone, dull race calls I've ever heard.

dilanesp 04-20-2020 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kernel (Post 2590676)

Hey, he's working!

CheckMark 04-20-2020 08:14 PM

John Lies I think is pretty good. He may seem boring but he’s better than me :lol:

Clocker 04-20-2020 09:29 PM

I can understand him, unlike a lot of announcers who think that they have to talk loud and fast to hype the race as exciting.

Dahoss2002 04-20-2020 09:43 PM

I think the Tampa Bay guy is my least favorite

mountainman 04-20-2020 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheckMark (Post 2590785)
John Lies I think is pretty good. He may seem boring but he’s better than me :lol:

I'm sure it takes tons of hard practice to become a competent caller. But that doesn't necessarily mean John Lies has more innate talent for race-calling than you do. My hunch is the potentially best race callers, race riders, and racing analysts, for that matter, are people who have never even considered working toward those occupations.

While some practitioners of those professions no doubt have true aptitude, they are not relatable to , let's say, NBA or NFL players, who not only worked hard in preparation for those careers, but whose one in a million talents practically mandated what they should work hard AT.

Horse facing is an interest that can become a career. Nobody becomes a professional athlete just because they love sports.

ReplayRandall 04-20-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2590814)
Horse facing is an interest that can become a career. Nobody becomes a professional athlete just because they love sports.

To have a stellar career as an analyst, as an announcer, as a trainer or as a pro-horseplayer, all involve two must haves.....First, you must have a real passion/fire and secondly, you must work as hard and smart as the best in the game do, to succeed.

I don't believe anyone feels like it's a job, it's a blessing....Doing the thing you love and getting paid for it. How does it get any better than that, in this life?

Never be afraid to aim for being the best, at whatever endeavor you choose, you'll only be cheating yourself out of a remarkable life.

mountainman 04-20-2020 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall (Post 2590824)
To have a stellar career as an analyst, as an announcer, as a trainer or as a pro-horseplayer, all involve two must haves.....First, you must have a real passion/fire and secondly, you must work as hard and smart as the best in the game do, to succeed.

I don't believe anyone feels like it's a job, it's a blessing....Doing the thing you love and getting paid for it. How does it get any better than that, in this life?

Never be afraid to aim for being the best, at whatever endeavor you choose, you'll only be cheating yourself out of a remarkable life.

Doing tv analysis never feels like a job to me. I'd do it for free. A labor of love. But although you're obviously a sharp guy, you somewhat missed the point of my post.

ReplayRandall 04-20-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2590832)
Doing tv analysis never feels like a job to me. I'd do it for free. A labor of love. But although you're obviously a sharp guy, you somewhat missed the point of my post.

I got your point, and the thread was someone's opinion of the talents of a mediocre race-caller....I just was jumping off of YOUR starting points about careers in horse racing/sports...That's all....We're on the same page, same frequency, I just kicked it up to being "stellar" or the best.

Boomer 04-21-2020 10:39 AM

Interesting, Just last week I said to myself (no one else to talk to these days) this guy is pretty good, nice delivery without the commentary which can become very annoying.

But then again, I like Peter Berry.

JUST KIDDING PETER, CALO AND VIC ARE ALL IN A GREAT CLASS BY YOURSELVES!

Robert Fischer 04-21-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2590814)
I'm sure it takes tons of hard practice to become a competent caller. But that doesn't necessarily mean John Lies has more innate talent for race-calling than you do. My hunch is the potentially best race callers, race riders, and racing analysts, for that matter, are people who have never even considered working toward those occupations.

While some practitioners of those professions no doubt have true aptitude, they are not relatable to , let's say, NBA or NFL players, who not only worked hard in preparation for those careers, but whose one in a million talents practically mandated what they should work hard AT.

Sam Bowie comes to mind from your stream of thought. Saw him at the Meadows one day (believe part of an ownership group /Harness racing).

'Witness Protection' couldn't have kept Bowie safe, from the predetermined fate of playing basketball, but apparently some opportunity or love for the sport of harness racing, contributed to it being one of his second careers.:ThmbUp:

cj 04-21-2020 12:01 PM

I've got no problem with John Lies. He gives good, accurate calls. There are only a few tracks running and he is probably the most accurate of the four thoroughbred tracks going IMO.

Robert Fischer 04-21-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2590921)
I've got no problem with John Lies. He gives good, accurate calls. There are only a few tracks running and he is probably the most accurate of the four thoroughbred tracks going IMO.

TBH, I haven't really 'noticed' his calls(usually that is a Good thing for announcers).

Never had a book on him, but he always seemed 'classy'.

Mason 04-21-2020 01:27 PM

My instant mute announcer list, in order, based on either inaccuracy, voice quality, not impartial due to their betting habits, screaming incoherently, or just can't follow the field/race flow correctly.

Colonial
Belterra
Rillito
Ellis-Turfay
Fonner
Prairie Meadows
NYRA backup
Retama
Sunland
Oaklawn

cj 04-21-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason (Post 2590967)
My instant mute announcer list, in order, based on either inaccuracy, voice quality, not impartial due to their betting habits, screaming incoherently, or just can't follow the field/race flow correctly.

Colonial
Belterra
Rillito
Ellis-Turfay
Fonner
Prairie Meadows
NYRA backup
Retama
Sunland
Oaklawn

Colonial? What's wrong with Jason?

luisbe 04-21-2020 02:12 PM

I won't name all of them but just my 3 fave: Mnr, Woo, DeD.

Peter Berry 04-21-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luisbe (Post 2590983)
I won't name all of them but just my 3 fave: Mnr, Woo, DeD.

Thank you so much, Luis. I just hope I haven’t lost a length or two during this extended break. Time will tell.

Boomer 04-21-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Berry (Post 2591009)
Thank you so much, Luis. I just hope I haven’t lost a length or two during this extended break. Time will tell.

Oh No Peter.....Please don't not even imply "The cue is in tha rack" for you!

v j stauffer 04-21-2020 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason (Post 2590967)

Colonial
Belterra
Rillito
Ellis-Turfay
Fonner
Prairie Meadows
NYRA backup
Retama
Sunland
Oaklawn

Yeah. What's wrong with Jason?

I especially liked your "not impartial due to their betting habits" criteria for elimination.

I'd be very interested in how you quantify that. Examples would be fun to review.

One of the strongest 6th posts I've ever seen on PA.

You must have a vast horse racing skill set.

Good to have you on board.

Afleet 04-21-2020 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2591074)
Yeah. What's wrong with Jason?

I especially liked your "not impartial due to their betting habits" criteria for elimination.

I'd be very interested in how you quantify that. Examples would be fun to review.

One of the strongest 6th posts I've ever seen on PA.

You must have a vast horse racing skill set.

Good to have you on board.

Hey Vic, hope you are well. I feel very sorry for the local business there in Hot Springs. Rockys, the Ohio Club, etc. must be getting killed

v j stauffer 04-21-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afleet (Post 2591110)
Hey Vic, hope you are well. I feel very sorry for the local business there in Hot Springs. Rockys, the Ohio Club, etc. must be getting killed

We are well. Thanks for asking. Everyone, everywhere is getting crushed. Horrible time for ALL of us in our lives. Stay safe.

cj 04-21-2020 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2591122)
We are well. Thanks for asking. Everyone, everywhere is getting crushed. Horrible time for ALL of us in our lives. Stay safe.

Well said. It sucks everywhere.

dilanesp 04-21-2020 06:25 PM

Just a story about announcers and betting habits, related to me by my parents.

In the 1930's, Seabiscuit, among other things, made Joe Hernandez, the announcer at the California tracks as well as Caliente, a big star, with his dramatic descriptions of Seabiscuit's big races.

But in the 1937 Santa Anita Handicap, which Seabiscuit lost to Rosemont by a nose, in the stretch, Hernandez suddenly shouts "Here comes Time Supply!" when Time Supply is making a mild, ineffectual move behind the leaders.

It became an open secret among race fans and sportswriters in California that Hernandez had a large bet on Time Supply. He was rooting over the p.a. system.

v j stauffer 04-21-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2591158)
Just a story about announcers and betting habits, related to me by my parents.

In the 1930's, Seabiscuit, among other things, made Joe Hernandez, the announcer at the California tracks as well as Caliente, a big star, with his dramatic descriptions of Seabiscuit's big races.

But in the 1937 Santa Anita Handicap, which Seabiscuit lost to Rosemont by a nose, in the stretch, Hernandez suddenly shouts "Here comes Time Supply!" when Time Supply is making a mild, ineffectual move behind the leaders.

It became an open secret among race fans and sportswriters in California that Hernandez had a large bet on Time Supply. He was rooting over the p.a. system.

Did anyone ever ask Joe if that was true?

dilanesp 04-21-2020 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2591160)
Did anyone ever ask Joe if that was true?

Supposedly, he admitted it to his friends at the track. But it doesn't appear in anything on the record, so who knows.

v j stauffer 04-21-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2591165)
Supposedly, he admitted it to his friends at the track. But it doesn't appear in anything on the record, so who knows.

Well announcers do bet.

If you want to compare and contrast a big hit winning call and a big hit losing call pull up ShaShaShakemeup and Alkhatam.

thaskalos 04-21-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall (Post 2590824)

I too used to think that you needed a "passion" for the game in order to become a pro horseplayer...but I changed my thinking on this when a saw our ex-member Raybo admit here that he got to be a pro-level player even though he found horse-betting to be a "tiresome bore". So... I no longer consider "passion" to be a prerequisite for horse-betting "success".

As far as race-calling is concerned...I am not turned off by the "monotony" of a 'boring' race call. It's when the race-caller takes it upon himself to infuse added "enthusiasm" into the race by screaming at the top of his lungs as the horses near the wire, that I start rolling my eyes as I reach for the volume knob. Give me an accurate even cadence and I am happy, even without the race-caller's hysterics. The horses supply enough drama, IMO.

PaceAdvantage 04-21-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2591183)
I too used to think that you needed a "passion" for the game in order to become a pro horseplayer...but I changed my thinking on this when a saw our ex-member Raybo admit here that he got to be a pro-level player even though he found horse-betting to be a "tiresome bore". So... I no longer consider "passion" to be a prerequisite for horse-betting "success".

If you're doing it right, it actually should be pretty boring...lol

thaskalos 04-21-2020 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2591190)
If you're doing it right, it actually should be pretty boring...lol

See? When you are right...even I can't disagree with you. :ThmbUp:

ReplayRandall 04-21-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2591183)

You need real fire and passion to GET to that "pro" level....Once there, you have to "work", and apply "smarter" methodologies to STAY at that level and ahead of the curve..Then the routine and boredom sets in.

thaskalos 04-21-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall (Post 2591206)
You need real fire and passion to GET to that "pro" level....Once there, you have to "work", and apply "smarter" methodologies to STAY at that level and ahead of the curve..Then the routine and boredom sets in.

I know all about "fire and passion". How else am I losing $1,700 a day betting Fonner Park. :ThmbUp:

BIG RED 04-21-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

I have no problem with this man. His pronunciation is A grade and accuracy is spot on.

BUT...the reason I responded to this post is because a friend and I had the same conversation last week about him. He put it...
He sounds like he's reading me a book out loud! Which kind of backs you up kernel.

ReplayRandall 04-21-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2591217)
I know all about "fire and passion". How else am I losing $1,700 a day betting Fonner Park. :ThmbUp:

And people think you're joking when you post this...:pound:

Afleet 04-22-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2591217)

that theres funny

metro 04-22-2020 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer (Post 2590918)
Sam Bowie comes to mind from your stream of thought. Saw him at the Meadows one day (believe part of an ownership group /Harness racing).

'Witness Protection' couldn't have kept Bowie safe, from the predetermined fate of playing basketball, but apparently some opportunity or love for the sport of harness racing, contributed to it being one of his second careers.:ThmbUp:

Used to see Bowie at the Red Mile in Lexington, KY when he was at UK and after he graduated but still lived there (mid 80s). Super nice guy that was approachable and very knowledgeable about harness racing. I'm not a UK fan but sure wish fate had dealt Sam a better hand with his pro career.

Redbullsnation 04-22-2020 08:44 PM

John Lies is a solid track announcer. I wish Stonach Group took care of him better than dumping him on the declining Lone Star Park

wisconsin 04-22-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbullsnation (Post 2591822)
John Lies is a solid track announcer. I wish Stonach Group took care of him better than dumping him on the declining Lone Star Park

Huh? Lone Star is owned by the Chikasaw Nation under the GGS banner, and secondly, Lies left on his own accord to pursue the announcer AND racing secretary positions at both WRD and FMT.

ReplayRandall 04-22-2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbullsnation (Post 2591822)

And to think that Lone Star Park HOSTED the Breeders Cup in 2004…..How did the state of Texas screw up horse racing so badly in such a short time?....Ridiculous.

cj 04-22-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReplayRandall (Post 2591846)
And to think that Lone Star Park HOSTED the Breeders Cup in 2004…..How did the state of Texas screw up horse racing so badly in such a short time?....Ridiculous.

It is a very nice facility still.

thaskalos 04-27-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

I finally heard John Lies call a race. I think his work is EXCELLENT! :ThmbUp: