Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Winter Olympics (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143248)

upthecreek 02-20-2018 10:05 AM

US Curling Team

They actually have a sports psychologist travel with them to help them with the mental part of curling Who knew Curling so stressful.:)

upthecreek 02-20-2018 10:09 AM

Photo finish

They had a photo finish in Men's Biathlon. About 20-25 seconds after the finish the reverse image photo vwas posted, sort of like horse racing.:lol:

Also on 2 man bobsled, after 4 runs they had a deadheat for the Gold Medal.

MutuelClerk 02-20-2018 11:27 AM

I enjoy the short track speed skating. Inquiries after every race what's not to like? Also the downhill is just amazing to me. flat out speed. Think about hitting the brakes, you're beaten. Never shot a gun in my life I have cross country skied. The biathlon is another sport I like. Love hockey, but haven't watched the men's at all. Hoping USA women beat Canada tomorrow night.

Because the NHL players aren't participating I find myself watching less this year. I still enjoy the Winter Games though.

Tom 02-20-2018 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upthecreek (Post 2279659)
They actually have a sports psychologist travel with them to help them with the mental part of curling Who knew Curling so stressful.:)

It is a tough, demanding sport. Takes real stones to play it at that level.

HalvOnHorseracing 02-21-2018 09:42 PM

What's all the yelling about when the stone is headed for the house?

upthecreek 02-22-2018 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing (Post 2280466)
What's all the yelling about when the stone is headed for the house?

They're giving the sweepers instructions on to sweep, not to sweep and how hard.
US just beat Canada and now play for the Gold for the 1st time in history.

cj 02-22-2018 12:04 PM

The great thing about curling is that everyone thinks they can do it because it looks easy. Of course it is FAR from easy.

sour grapes 02-22-2018 12:06 PM

id be ashamed to be a canadien

after that pitiful display of being sore losers after the womens hockey team lost to the americans.jocelyn laroque was an ahole.

upthecreek 02-22-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2280671)
The great thing about curling is that everyone thinks they can do it because it looks easy. Of course it is FAR from easy.

I really enjoy it It reminds me a little bit of the long board shuffleboard we'd play with quoits at the local VFW

Greyfox 02-22-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sour grapes (Post 2280673)
after that pitiful display of being sore losers after the womens hockey team lost to the americans.jocelyn laroque was an ahole.

The U.S. Women's Hockey team were worthy champs, however the Gold Medal should never be awarded by a Shootout.
Shootouts are inventions to accommodate TV schedules.
They may be okay in earlier games but not in Gold Medal finals.

cj 02-22-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2280725)
The U.S. Women's Hockey team were worthy champs, however the Gold Medal should never be awarded by a Shootout.
Shootouts are inventions to accommodate TV schedules.
They may be okay in earlier games but not in Gold Medal finals.

I couldn't believe nobody could score in 20 minutes of four on four. I can live with a shootout after that. Play was getting pretty ragged at the end.

Greyfox 02-22-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2280734)
I couldn't believe nobody could score in 20 minutes of four on four. I can live with a shootout after that. Play was getting pretty ragged at the end.

Make the overtime extra periods 3 on 3.

cj 02-22-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2280737)
Make the overtime extra periods 3 on 3.

I guess, but to me that is as gimmicky as a shootout.

jocko699 02-22-2018 04:30 PM

I hate shootouts but understand them during the NHL season. But for Olympic gold? At a minimum 4 on 4 hockey for 20-minute periods until a team is leading at the end of the period. I would even settle for 3 on 3 but come on, this is for a gold medal!!!!

MutuelClerk 02-22-2018 09:08 PM

No one likes a shootout, especially when gold is on the line. I agree with CJ 3-3 is gimmicky. Just play it out 5-5 until we have a goal. If it takes two periods or more so be it. Part of the lore years from now.

That being said the last shootout goals by each team were pretty damn great.