Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   comedy is dead (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169856)

davew 03-29-2022 04:55 PM

comedy is dead

the progressive woke culture will find something or someone who should be offended by anything funny:(

Greyfox 03-29-2022 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2795940)
the progressive woke culture will find something or someone who should be offended by anything funny:(

Funny you would say that. ;)

Clocker 03-29-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2795940)

I find the term "progressive woke culture" to be hilarious. I guess I don't qualify for membership. :jump:

Tom 03-29-2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2795946)
Funny you would say that. ;)

https://media4.giphy.com/media/cOKCP...=200w.gif&ct=g

jay68802 03-29-2022 10:33 PM

illinoisbred 03-30-2022 06:26 AM

Would Rodney Dangerfield or Don Rickles have an audience today? Probably not. And if you're old enough to remember the Dean Martin roasts...can't see anything like that ever happening again.

TJDave 03-30-2022 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoisbred (Post 2796016)
Would Rodney Dangerfield or Don Rickles have an audience today? Probably not. And if you're old enough to remember the Dean Martin roasts...can't see anything like that ever happening again.

Dean Martin’s estate is still making lots of money of those roasts…So lots of folks still find them funny. I expect the same for Rickles and Rodney.

I don’t know if you can cancel dead people?

Richie 03-30-2022 09:24 AM

Quote:

i been watching all in the family again, some incredible stuff was said on that show about everyone. Boy, have we changed

Robert Fischer 03-30-2022 09:49 AM

mainstream comedy is more limited than ever

The 'underground' comedy clubs are somewhat interesting culture.

I'm sure there's a few acts in those clubs that 'push the envelope'.

PaceAdvantage 03-30-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJDave (Post 2796020)
Dean Martin’s estate is still making lots of money of those roasts…So lots of folks still find them funny. I expect the same for Rickles and Rodney.

You're right. Nothing has changed for the worse at all.

People used to feel fairly free...now they're scared of almost every other word that might come out of their mouth because it might offend SOMEONE....definitely an improvement for a country that was once all about freedom of speech.

Karakorum Kabbage 03-30-2022 10:14 AM

Quote:

The Dean Martin roasts HAVE been happening again, in the form of the hugely successful Comedy Central roasts - which are WAY rougher than the DM roasts ever were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Central_Roast

Elkchester Road 03-30-2022 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2796040)
You're right. Nothing has changed for the worse at all.

People used to feel fairly free...now they're scared of almost every other word that might come out of their mouth because it might offend SOMEONE....definitely an improvement for a country that was once all about freedom of speech.

Just the way they like it. Notice, though, they don't play by the same rules.

JustRalph 03-30-2022 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karakorum Kabbage (Post 2796045)
The Dean Martin roasts HAVE been happening again, in the form of the hugely successful Comedy Central roasts - which are WAY rougher than the DM roasts ever were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy_Central_Roast

Hugely successful? Ugh……they suck

Bustin Stones 03-31-2022 10:59 AM

If what Rock said is considered comedy fit for millions to hear then we've been working too hard. We pretty much had making fun of someone's physical appearance down since the third grade. And Will Smith's reaction belongs back in the third grade.

Dave Schwartz 03-31-2022 11:04 AM

Humor is dead... at least any type of humor that includes the remote possibility that someone in the audience might be offended.

Well, anyone who matters, that is.
(As determined by social media, if you aren't on the "good human list," you are eligible - nay, ENCOURAGED - to be targeted.)

I hate the phrase, "PROVE ME WRONG," so I won't say that.

[edit]
Quote:

Ask Jefferson, Lee, and all the other dead leaders if they can be canceled.