Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL** (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Belmont Stakes - worth the trip? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144974)

keithw84 05-19-2018 09:37 PM

Belmont Stakes - worth the trip?

I live one Nebraska and am debating making the trip to Belmont. Have never been to Belmont Park before. Thoughts or suggestions from those who have been?

Fightingirish51195 05-19-2018 09:39 PM

Definitely worth the trip. Hard to find a better card than that day.

GMB@BP 05-19-2018 09:41 PM

I am debating it, once in a lifetime opportunity, but it would be very hectic.

dilanesp 05-19-2018 09:42 PM

I was there in 1997. A lot of fun.

kingfin66 05-19-2018 09:46 PM

I have been twice; for Big Brown and I'll Have Another. Both ended in disappointment in terms of the Triple Crown, but the trips were still fun and well worth the journey. Go to Belmont on the Friday before the Belmont too if you can. It gives you a better opportunity to check out the track. Have fun!

I would go again this year, but I already have a trip to Calgary scheduled to check out a Stampeders game.

clicknow 05-19-2018 10:24 PM

I used to want to do that stuff, now, the ARK Derby with 65,000+ people is enough for me. I just can't take crowds anymore. I love going to live racing on a quiet Thursday or Sunday....or even Fri before people get out of work.

Plus, all the drunks on the big weekends can be obnoxious.

Tom 05-19-2018 10:47 PM

Quote:

Plus, all the drunks on the big weekends can be obnoxious.
Hopefully, all those nuts in te mud today will NOT be the next wave of new racing fans! :eek:

clicknow 05-20-2018 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2319153)
Hopefully, all those nuts in te mud today will NOT be the next wave of new racing fans! :eek:

Generally, the crowds at OP are polite for the most part. And I'm not against people having a good time, but when there are a lot of people drinking in a crowd, you still get bumped into a lot, people spill beer on (and into) your shoes, step on you, don't notice when you're behind them when they let go of a door.....not to mention very messy restrooms......stuff like that...you know, the typical "poor judgement" "bad depth perception" stuff that happens with alcohol.

What unnerves me is seeing a sea of vehicles in the parking lots, and all over in the neighborhoods as well (from overflow) and all these people are getting in their cars afterwards and driving.......many live an hour or more away--- and by that time it is getting dark, too.

We are talking a % of 65,000 people.

Rex Phinney 05-20-2018 02:28 AM

I went once. I would not give it as high a mark as the others here have.

It’s one of those deals where I’m happy I did it once, but I wouldn’t go again with a gun to my head.

Bennie 05-20-2018 08:29 AM

It is one of those things on my bucket list to attend all 3 triple crown races one year but being from Jersey if I attended Belmont I would use public transportation or stay with my wife's cousins for a couple days because they live walking distance away. I think every true racing fan should try to attend a least one Triple Crown race in their life. It is a memory that you will have forever, good or bad.

Grits 05-20-2018 10:26 AM

https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/NYRA_caps_Belmont_Stakes_attendance_for_Justifys_T rip
le_Crown_try_123

Chris Kay, immediately after the Preakness, announced a cap on Belmont Day of 90K. This has been done in recent years with a Triple Crown on the line.

I've attended the last 14 Belmont Stakes. Capping attendance has made the day much better. So, that said, YES, it is well worth the trip!! It's the best day of racing on the calendar and you will enjoy your visit. :)

Lemon Drop Husker 05-20-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithw84 (Post 2319095)
I live one Nebraska and am debating making the trip to Belmont. Have never been to Belmont Park before. Thoughts or suggestions from those who have been?

Good to know you live in God's country. :headbanger:;)

I'd love to go to the Belmont at least once in my lifetime. Go if you have the chance and interest IMO.

I went to the Kentucky Derby twice in 2008 and 2009. Learned a crap ton about where and how to purchase tickets for such events and have attended the Breeders Cup every year since.

While I'll never go back to the Kentucky Derby due to the massive crowds and flat out stupidity of most, I'd still tell anyone that they should go to simply experience the madness and massiveness of the event.

Go.

Thomas Roulston 05-20-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingfin66 (Post 2319107)
I have been twice; for Big Brown and I'll Have Another.

Then please stay away from this year's Belmont. You will surely jinx Justify! :D

clicknow 05-20-2018 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston (Post 2319692)
Then please stay away from this year's Belmont. You will surely jinx Justify! :D

:lol:

kingfin66 05-21-2018 10:23 PM

No doubt! I stayed away and look how well American Pharoah did.