Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Why and how does Zenyatta cause folks to become irrational? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76642)

PaceAdvantage 10-27-2010 11:27 PM

Why and how does Zenyatta cause folks to become irrational?

Case in point:

I'm reading my latest issue of Horseplayer Magazine, specifically the Editor's Note, by Editor Frank R. Scatoni. I'm not at all familiar with the name, but I will assume Mr. Scatoni has a pretty good knowledge of Thoroughbred racing, seeing as he is the Editor of HM.

Here is something he wrote that I could not believe:
Quote:

It took her three tries, but Rachel eventually got a win in 2010 and followed up that victory with another score, but a disappointing flop in the Personal Ensign at Saratoga finally got her strongest supporters to admit what everyone else could see: that she just wasn't the same horse as last year, and that Rachel probably shouldn't have won Horse of the Year after ducking the reigning distaff champion Zenyatta as well as the best handicap horses in the world in the 2009 Breeders' Cup Classic.
Phew...that was quite the lengthy sentence. Utterly irrational when you realize what you do in 2010 has no impact on the 2009 award. The 2009 award is for 2009 performances, and Rachel outperformed Zenyatta. Simple as that. Nothing done or not done by either runner in 2010 should have any impact on the legitimacy of the 2009 award. That's the bottom line, and that's how rational racing fans view the world.

But, just when you thought it couldn't get any better, a little further down the line, we get this gem (this was obviously written prior to RA's retirement):
Quote:

I'll go on record as saying that I think Rachel should run in the Filly & Mare Sprint. She'd be devastating at 7-furlongs. Her combination of speed and heart would make her tough to beat in that race. But I don't make those decisions - I'm just a racing fan who likes to speculate.
Zenyatta must translate somewhere into "Scrambled Brains"...can anyone check that out for me?

turfnsport 10-27-2010 11:47 PM

That's great stuff.
Looks like Horseplayer Magazine does not have a detention barn.

OntheRail 10-27-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Zenyatta must translate somewhere into "Scrambled Brains"...can anyone check that out for me?

I think it's some kind of subliminal mind control. :sleeping:

thaskalos 10-28-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

I think George C. Scott phrased it perfectly, in the movie "Patton".

"America loves a winner...and won't tolerate a loser." :)

KingChas 10-28-2010 12:38 AM

I'm just a racing fan who likes to speculate.

Looks to me like tunnel vision.
From both sides of the fence.................forever. ;)

jelly 10-28-2010 12:44 AM

This guy is scary,my guess is that Horseplayer Magazine won't be around very long.

PaceAdvantage 10-28-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jelly
This guy is scary,my guess is that Horseplayer Magazine won't be around very long.

It's been around quite a long time already...something like 15 years if not longer by my count...

CincyHorseplayer 10-28-2010 01:39 AM

The only thing I can say Pace is that to some these are not horses,they are representations of what they believe and what they perceive others to believe.And that's where the sickness began.

I can't wait honestly til Zen retires so hopefully we can just talk about horses and handicapping unfettered.Last year with RA,Zen,and STS was a total blast from a fan perspective and it was the first time I was able to really follow a European horse's races(wasn't hip to the tech).Anyway wanting to share that was great on here for more than a few but the rest have poisoned the board with endless drivel.I have tried to stay away at times and that sucks because when I found this place it was total heaven.Nobody else much I can relate with.

So I can't wait til it's all in black type and behind us bro.

thaskalos 10-28-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

It's been around quite a long time already...something like 15 years if not longer by my count...

Are they now sending out the issues in a timely manner?

I used to subscribe years ago, and the issues always arrived terribly late. I never thought they would stay in business this long...

JustRalph 10-28-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

I used to read it, but there was better stuff on this board, most of the time.

Amtrak has been around forever, but it's damn sure not the best way to travel

The really bad thing is how he speculates as to what Rachel fans are thinking. Then runs the meme off the road by assuming that those same Rachel fans would immediately come to the conclusion that the horse of the year vote was wrong? Where the he'll does he get that? Oh yeah, from his personal opinion.

JBmadera 10-28-2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
The only thing I can say Pace is that to some these are not horses,they are representations of what they believe and what they perceive others to believe.And that's where the sickness began.

I can't wait honestly til Zen retires so hopefully we can just talk about horses and handicapping unfettered.Last year with RA,Zen,and STS was a total blast from a fan perspective and it was the first time I was able to really follow a European horse's races(wasn't hip to the tech).Anyway wanting to share that was great on here for more than a few but the rest have poisoned the board with endless drivel.I have tried to stay away at times and that sucks because when I found this place it was total heaven.Nobody else much I can relate with.

So I can't wait til it's all in black type and behind us bro.

Amen! honestly it is a little disturbing the amount of inappropriate emotional attachment zenfan et al seem to suffer from.....close to a certain type of personality disorder. for my own sanity I had to greatly expand my ignore list.

here's to getting back to lively handicapping coversations!

gm10 10-28-2010 04:13 AM

Quote:

Case in point:

I'm reading my latest issue of Horseplayer Magazine, specifically the Editor's Note, by Editor Frank R. Scatoni. I'm not at all familiar with the name, but I will assume Mr. Scatoni has a pretty good knowledge of Thoroughbred racing, seeing as he is the Editor of HM.

Here is something he wrote that I could not believe:Phew...that was quite the lengthy sentence. Utterly irrational when you realize what you do in 2010 has no impact on the 2009 award. The 2009 award is for 2009 performances, and Rachel outperformed Zenyatta. Simple as that. Nothing done or not done by either runner in 2010 should have any impact on the legitimacy of the 2009 award. That's the bottom line, and that's how rational racing fans view the world.

He says that she didn't deserve it after ducking the best horses in the BC 2009.

JustRalph 10-28-2010 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBmadera
Amen! honestly it is a little disturbing the amount of inappropriate emotional attachment zenfan et al seem to suffer from.....close to a certain type of personality disorder. for my own sanity I had to greatly expand my ignore list.

here's to getting back to lively handicapping coversations!

Zenderangement syndrome
ZDS

With apologies to charles krauthammer

FenceBored 10-28-2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gm10
He says that she didn't deserve it after ducking the best horses in the BC 2009.

You mean, like Sea the Stars?

bigmack 10-28-2010 05:51 AM

I've know editors/publishers of mags that knew little of the subject. One guy owned something like 6 snowmobile rags. "What's a good brand to get" I ask 'em - "How do I know" he answerves.

I wouldn't put too much stock in the equine opine of Mr. S.

Folks to become irrational -
PA 10/27