Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Hey present and past owners (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144258)

ultracapper 04-14-2018 12:34 PM

Hey present and past owners

When you're in a partnership, and each partner has their own silks, how do you go about determining which silks the rider will wear. I noticed a horse that wore one set in it's first race, and then a different set in it's second race, and I'm wondering if their choice of silks in race 3 might have any meaning between them.

Thanks in advance.

Ruffian1 04-14-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultracapper (Post 2302725)
When you're in a partnership, and each partner has their own silks, how do you go about determining which silks the rider will wear. I noticed a horse that wore one set in it's first race, and then a different set in it's second race, and I'm wondering if their choice of silks in race 3 might have any meaning between them.

Thanks in advance.

I have never heard of being able to change silks each time they run. Maybe that CAN happen as I have not worked there in years but my guess would be that the owner did not have the proper silks in the room on race day for one of those two races so they wore the substitute silks that all tracks provide.
Other than that, I have no idea.

ultracapper 04-14-2018 01:08 PM

#2 Sellwood in the 1st at SA definitely wore different silks in his 2 starts. So partnerships with partners that each have their own silks have to choose between one of them as you remember it?

Ruffian1 04-14-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultracapper (Post 2302760)
#2 Sellwood in the 1st at SA definitely wore different silks in his 2 starts. So partnerships with partners that each have their own silks have to choose between one of them as you remember it?

Yes. I don't ever recall seeing revolving silks but it has been nearly 20 years so the rules could have changed or it is a Calif. rule I never raced under.

But substitute silks could be in play. Especially if it is a new partnership and the silks were still being made or something like that. I guess you will have to wait until next out to see if the silks are the same . If they are different again , it is a rule that never raced under.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

ultracapper 04-15-2018 11:54 PM

Hey Ruffian1, sorry to take so long to respond and say thanks. First time I've been back to the computer since.

I seem to remember Wrona referring to "house" silks once. I thought it was the owner's name, but I bet it is what you're pointing out.

Thanks.

johnhannibalsmith 04-16-2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultracapper (Post 2303683)

I seem to remember Wrona referring to "house" silks once. I thought it was the owner's name, but I bet it is what you're pointing out.

That's when you see track-owned generic silks of a color matching the saddle towel number. As in, the house silks for number one are red, number two are white, three are blue, and so on with the usual corresponding colors. Most often they are used in lieu of owner silks when there aren't any but some tracks (read: low level) race exclusively in house silks.

biggestal99 04-16-2018 06:15 AM

I owned one horse in partnership, were the horse ran in 3 different silks for us.
One for jersey and Florida one for Delaware and one for New York.

Didn’t bother me in the least when he wasn’t in our silks, it was explained to us Before we bought into the horse so there would be no misunderstanding.

Allan

Big Peps 04-16-2018 07:15 AM

I never really understood all the fuss about whose silks the jockey races in... Just want to see the horse run well. Never cared much what colors the jockey is wearing, mine or somebody elses

johnhenry81 04-16-2018 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultracapper (Post 2302725)

Thanks in advance.

When you're a new or young owner in partnership you want a rotation so you can see you're colors. For me as time goes by the silks are very secondary to the horse running well. Also in partnerships, one guy may be paying the majority of the bills, so he may ask that his silks be worn often.

jh

onefast99 04-16-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnhenry81 (Post 2303710)
When you're a new or young owner in partnership you want a rotation so you can see you're colors. For me as time goes by the silks are very secondary to the horse running well. Also in partnerships, one guy may be paying the majority of the bills, so he may ask that his silks be worn often.

jh

Mountaineer uses house silks for regular racing on stakes days owners can use their own silks.
I had one partnership with my trainer who used his silks at GP and mine at MP. In the event one of the partnership members has more skin in the game then his silks should be used.
Maybe CJ can see if he has any data on horses that change silks from race to race! It may be a new betting angle....

Appy 04-16-2018 12:39 PM

House silks determined by post position. Most tracks I raced at individual owned silks were optional, except that for stakes races owners were required to furnish silks.

Denny 04-16-2018 01:23 PM

I like what they do at Mountaineer.
The silks match the saddle cloth color.
Easy to tell who is who in a race.

onefast99 04-16-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Appy (Post 2303781)
House silks determined by post position. Most tracks I raced at individual owned silks were optional, except that for stakes races owners were required to furnish silks.

Major tracks all require owners to have their own registered silks. Some tracks can charge a fee if you forgot your silks to use house silks.

Parson 04-16-2018 04:43 PM

For Christ Sakes, delete that post before Churchill charges us a storage fee to keep our silks in the jockey room. It seems like they look for a way to nickel and dime us every chance they get:bang:

therussmeister 04-16-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny (Post 2303798)
I like what they do at Mountaineer.
The silks match the saddle cloth color.
Easy to tell who is who in a race.

Will Rogers Downs does this too, but due to a very poor video feed and no sound on that channel at my wagering outlet I still never know who won.