Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL** (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Fountain of Youth Stakes (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163381)

thetripleclowns 02-26-2021 09:52 PM

Fountain of Youth Stakes

It's a big day Gulfstream Park and we are here to give you our picks for the late pick 4. Check out our latest episode out now on YouTube, iTunes, and Spotify.

Robert Fischer 02-26-2021 11:39 PM

Funny Names, Fun Late P4 Sequence (Fountain of Youth Day)

Good luck.

Race 12 Davona Dale :3: and :5:

Juvenile Fillies Champ :3: Vequist

and the :5: which i can't pronounce?

:5: Millefeuille

Turns out she is named after the pastry that we often call a "Napoleon".

https://i.ibb.co/2SMY15K/Millefeuille.png

Had to google it.

I can see myself at Dunkin Donuts now; "I'll have a Millie Ball and a Large Coffee, please" :confused:

I'll use :3: Vequist and :5: Millefeuille
(+ one 50cent ticket where I single :2: Got Stormy from R11, and use :3::5: And the :6: Crazy Beautiful, as well):ThmbUp:

Race 14 (Fountain of Youth) Just the two yutes, the :1: and the :2:

:1: Drain the Clock - Likely to get a great trip today.

and, the :2: Prime Factor was a dull and disappointing chalk, in the Holy Bull. Was a bit wide, yet he simply failed to fire. Nice big colt, but I don't know if he really has brilliance to flash. Gets a second chance here, will get a better trip in here, and will be a better price today.

:8: Greatest Honour seems like he's likely the best racehorse, and seems legit, but trip and forward position should prove important here.

:4: Fire At Will is 'WILD', both in performance, and as how well the Morning Line will reflect his final price. I'm not on board, and hope he takes money.
As a fan, I'm rooting that he does well, and the form on paper translates to 3yo Dirt route form. Exciting potential.:ThmbUp:

Fun Late P4 Sequence. Some horses we know, yet still some potential for opinions. :ThmbUp:

r13? - I went with the two Chad Brown horses , just :6::7:. Not crazy about Antoinette. Don't like anyone else, either. :confused: Not looking to spread, and will go :6::7:, but hey, - if neither 6,7 win; my opinion for Race 13 would then be wide-open...

Good Luck this weekend. :ThmbUp:

Parkview_Pirate 02-27-2021 09:02 AM

(sigh). Looks chalky on top, with the :8:. Gonna try to sneak the :9: underneath somewhere but looks pretty wide open after the favorite. Maybe a smidge of value tossing the :1:, but would hardly be shocked if he's in the mix.

Lot of nice horses over the years have won this prep, but that wouldn't include the longest price horse I've ever picked, Built for Pleasure, back in 1996 at 143-1. Felt a jolt like those heart starting EMT paddles when I saw him make his move at the top of the lane and and was yelling "don't hang 5!" the last furlong. I don't think I've cashed big on this race since...'cause I feel the greed every year, looking to relive old glory. I did have Pulpit, Orb and Code of Honor though.

Good luck today, everyone.

Redboard 02-27-2021 10:40 AM

Not a lot of speed in this race, so I'm on the :1: . Of course, the jocks will see this and a bunch will try to "steal it in the front end."

Funny how Maker uses a G2 to switch from turf to dirt.

Give me the :7: also. Exacta box with the :1: .

Secondbest 02-27-2021 11:57 AM

I’m going with the :4: Fire at Will.

Robert Fischer 02-27-2021 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer (Post 2704128)
(+ one 50cent ticket where I single :2: Got Stormy from R11, and use :3::5: And the :6: Crazy Beautiful, as well):ThmbUp:

doubling down after a 1st leg of p4 , and I want some more coverage into my shot against Greatest Honour in the FOY;

Bet Confirmation
Track Name: Gulfstream Park (GPM)
Race: 12
Pool: P3
Selections: 3, 5, 6/1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10/1, 2
Wager Amount: $0.50
Wager Total: $27

Selections: 3, 5, 6/2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10/1, 2
Wager Amount: $1.00
Wager Total: $36

Selections: 3, 5/2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10/1, 2
Wager Amount: $2.00
Wager Total: $48

Selections: 3, 5/2, 4, 6, 7, 10/1, 2
Wager Amount: $5.00
Wager Total: $100

Robert Fischer 02-27-2021 05:19 PM

wow $14,000 for a dime
50-1 winner race 12

:bang: wrong :bang: spread :bang: race
ahhhh

Robert Fischer 02-27-2021 05:40 PM

Throwing a DD :6: :1::2:

PhantomOnTour 02-27-2021 06:13 PM

How about a shot on the :10: Papetu at 45-1 ???
He can grab a slice
:eek:

Robert Fischer 02-27-2021 06:14 PM

FOY bets

cold ex 1-2
ex bx 12

ex 12/123468 , 8/1,2 , 1,2/8

su 12/12/3468/3468

tri 12/1234/123468

dilanesp 02-27-2021 06:19 PM

That was a huge effort by Greatest Honour. He was just rolling that last 5/16 of a mile.

PhantomOnTour 02-27-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2704303)
He can grab a slice

Someone bet a ton on this colt late...he was over 40-1 at about 1MTP. Wound up at 18-1

rastajenk 02-27-2021 06:33 PM

For a furlong or two he looked like Arazi! :p

classhandicapper 02-27-2021 06:38 PM

When he wasn't making up ground at the point the rider would typically be asking and then a horse ran right by him, I thought he was coming up empty. But once he got outside and actually asked that horse was motoring. I'm not sure how good that field was, but he was good.

Robert Fischer 02-27-2021 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2704303)
He can grab a slice

Good call on the :10: Made a nice run from a low% post.

:8: Greatest Honour Looks like a nice one.

Robert Fischer 02-27-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2704316)
When he wasn't making up ground at the point the rider would typically be asking and then a horse ran right by him, I thought he was coming up empty. But once he got outside and actually asked that horse was motoring. I'm not sure how good that field was, but he was good.

between the signs/signals you mention, and the tough post, and the dream trip of the :1: up to that point, ... - I thought he was getting beaten today.

Looked like a different animal than these once they hit the stretch. I think we knew that coming in (based on Greatest Honours previous races and Holy Bull), but it's not easy to beat a loose&inside speed going 8.5 @ GP.

taxicab 02-27-2021 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2704316)

Therein lies the key to this horse.....

classhandicapper 02-28-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxicab (Post 2704325)
Therein lies the key to this horse.....

It's hard to tell on TV, but he looked like a long sleek horse to me yesterday. Some horses prefer running outside, but the wider you go the less sharp the turn too. Maybe he's the type that will love Belmont.

PhantomOnTour 02-28-2021 11:50 AM

Beyer came back a weak 89.
My figs have the race under par as well, but it was the only two turn dirt race on the card.
Also, two races at 1m on dirt were hand timed (one of them being the Gr2 Davona Dale) with no fractional splits...so who really knows what the actual time of this race was ???

GP timing is still a joke

dilanesp 02-28-2021 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2704431)
My figs have the race under par as well, but it was the only two turn dirt race on the card.
Also, two races at 1m on dirt were hand timed (one of them being the Gr2 Davona Dale) with no fractional splits...so who really knows what the actual time of this race was ???

I really don't care about the speed figure, given how visually impressive this was.

Robert Fischer 02-28-2021 12:14 PM

11:30 on the video
Randy actually gives out the big 50/1 Winner :1: Wholebodemeister??

WTF!?

Great call. :jump:
Wish I had played that.

(Paraphrase) "I want to try to beat Vequist. I start with one of the horses ":1: Wholebodemeister I'm taking a little bit of a flyer with the :1:... I think he's going to forwardly placed and might get the distance... troubled starts etc... Zayas stays on... "

Great Call. Wow! Totally dismissed that horse, but was the key to (the mint in r12!) and a 50cent Pick-4 sequence that paid $782 on a ticket where most people singled the Fountain of Youth Winner :8: Greatest Honour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetripleclowns (Post 2704101)
It's a big day Gulfstream Park and we are here to give you our picks for the late pick 4. Check out our latest episode out now on YouTube, iTunes, and Spotify.

https://youtu.be/eP6p6L4IX2o

classhandicapper 02-28-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2704435)
I really don't care about the speed figure, given how visually impressive this was.

Yeah, imo this was one of the situations where when he crossed the finish line he was still loaded with energy. It's not so much that he could have run faster if he wasn't eased in the last few strides. It's that if he had gotten going sooner he probably still would have finished just as well and run a faster final time. IMO, there's a little more in the tank than an 89.

mountainman 02-28-2021 01:10 PM

Went in ultra-respectful of a chalk who not only appeared far superior, but who figured to benefit from the flow. With a Maclean's Music in front and most of the field sporting speed-oriented pp's, why would you even want that winner anywhere near the early pace?

I do confess to considerable (and apparently misplaced) interest in the 7 horse given the near certainty of more patient tactics.

Secondbest 02-28-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2704431)

Do you know what Essential Quality got

PhantomOnTour 02-28-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secondbest (Post 2704453)
Do you know what Essential Quality got

He got a 96 Beyer

Spalding No! 02-28-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2704447)
Went in ultra-respectful of a chalk who not only appeared far superior, but who figured to benefit from the flow. With a Maclean's Music in front and most of the field sporting speed-oriented pp's, why would you even want that winner anywhere near the early pace?

Despite the high marks visually, enthusiasm should be tempered not only by low BSF (although for this crop it seems decent for the time being) but also, as you suggested, by the fact that his main rival was stretch out sprinter. In that respect, perhaps Greatest Honour was able to gear down late simply because the rest of the field toiled late.

He clearly has superior stamina (not shocking given his pedigree) but again to temper the visual impression he gave in the last 100 yards, the horse was toiling as they entered the far turn, despite being under heavy pressure. The Sano horse went by him like he was standing still. Perhaps he's a colt that isn't agile enough on the turns and/or needs to be outside, but that isn't going to help matters at Churchill (or Pimlico for that matter). That said, he didn't seem to have trouble moving on the turn in the Holy Bull.

The other two contenders in the FOY were turf horses biding their time until the big money grass races this summer. Prime Factor probably has talent based on his debut, but he has labored in his 2 subsequent starts; I wouldn't be surprised to see him a victim of the Black Hole of Winstar after this race. With the 2 Godolphin colts (Prevalence and the indecipherably named horse of Pletcher's that bucked his shins after winning the Mucho Macho Man) on the shelf, the group in Florida is somewhat suspect. I guess the Tampa-based ones still deserve consideration along with Known Agenda (who beat Greatest Honour previously).

Tom 02-28-2021 03:58 PM

Two races were hand timed? :rolleyes:

Welcome to 2021.....

mountainman 02-28-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spalding No! (Post 2704486)
Despite the high marks visually, enthusiasm should be tempered not only by low BSF (although for this crop it seems decent for the time being) but also, as you suggested, by the fact that his main rival was stretch out sprinter. In that respect, perhaps Greatest Honour was able to gear down late simply because the rest of the field toiled late.

He clearly has superior stamina (not shocking given his pedigree) but again to temper the visual impression he gave in the last 100 yards, the horse was toiling as they entered the far turn, despite being under heavy pressure. The Sano horse went by him like he was standing still. Perhaps he's a colt that isn't agile enough on the turns and/or needs to be outside, but that isn't going to help matters at Churchill (or Pimlico for that matter). That said, he didn't seem to have trouble moving on the turn in the Holy Bull.

The other two contenders in the FOY were turf horses biding their time until the big money grass races this summer. Prime Factor probably has talent based on his debut, but he has labored in his 2 subsequent starts; I wouldn't be surprised to see him a victim of the Black Hole of Winstar after this race. With the 2 Godolphin colts (Prevalence and the indecipherably named horse of Pletcher's that bucked his shins after winning the Mucho Macho Man) on the shelf, the group in Florida is somewhat suspect. I guess the Tampa-based ones still deserve consideration along with Known Agenda (who beat Greatest Honour previously).

I'm not super-high on the winner. At least not yet. And scoring geared -down means very little to me.

Did you notice, btw, an odd structuring of the second wgt allowance?

Spalding No! 02-28-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2704525)
Did you notice, btw, an odd structuring of the second wgt allowance?

No; looks like they consolidated the conditions from previous renewals and added an incentive for state-breds; what was the significance?

big frank 02-28-2021 07:10 PM

I didn't understand all the hype post race on Greatest Honour...........he was floundering on the turn -But the horses on the lead were sprinters who stopped .... That's why he got back in the race--- it looked great visually because he went by easily --But he wasn't moving that fast because the race was simply falling apart......I knew the number would come back slow......I love Shug and respect him-----But i will be betting against in his next race at short price !

Secondbest 02-28-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour (Post 2704455)
He got a 96 Beyer

Thank you

Secondbest 02-28-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2704499)
Two races were hand timed? :rolleyes:

Welcome to 2021.....

What did you expect? Competence?

classhandicapper 03-01-2021 11:06 AM

Sonner or later a few of the horses Greatest Honour has been beating will make their way to NY or another circuit and we'll get a better line on the quality of those races. To me they look a below average, but I'm not buying they are quite as bad as the 89 winning Beyer figure for the Holy Bull and FOY suggest. That's telling me that Greatest Honour would have a tough time winning a lot of NW1 ALW races in NY, KY, and CA. These early 3yo stakes are often made up of impressive maiden winners and NW1 ALW horses, but they are usually the better ones. A couple of the horses look OK in non figure terms and he's clearly better than them.

Robert Fischer 03-04-2021 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2704636)
Sonner or later a few of the horses Greatest Honour has been beating will make their way to NY or another circuit and we'll get a better line on the quality of those races. To me they look a below average, but I'm not buying they are quite as bad as the 89 winning Beyer figure for the Holy Bull and FOY suggest. That's telling me that Greatest Honour would have a tough time winning a lot of NW1 ALW races in NY, KY, and CA. These early 3yo stakes are often made up of impressive maiden winners and NW1 ALW horses, but they are usually the better ones. A couple of the horses look OK in non figure terms and he's clearly better than them.

From my perspective/opinion - it's tough to do much with a speed figure or a future form of rivals.

I really place a significant weight on the track configuration of Gulfstream's 8.5f dirt races.
To the extent that I don't learn much about 'speed' from an effort like Greatest Honour's.
I can say that unless he improves, the place horse Drain the Clock isn't going to run much faster at a route. He had the trip which showcased his 'speed'. He basically ran a completely different race than Greatest Honour. The pace was nearly 'hot', and TimeformUS did an accurate job of rating it. Had this been at an unbiased track configuration, you would upgrade Drain the Clock's effort relative to Greatest Honour. It wasn't quite a red hot pace, and it was also Drain the Clock's preferred natural running style, and the race wasn't collapsing (although the leaders did 'hang' fairly significantly).

Greatest Honour, on the other hand had a unique task. His running style helps him in one respect, because it mitigates nearly all of the bias against having an outside post. If post did play any factor, that would be in limiting tactics of the ride. -Greatest Honour appears more tactical, than say a horse many fans have brought up in comparison; Honor Code. However, from post 8 at that configuration, you have no choice but to sit a patient trip.

What we learned or gained further reinforcement with Greatest Honour was that he can rate, and finish well at a route distance. While he was doing that specific task, and forced to ride within the track configuration, at an extremely patient trip in order to beat the dream trip that the :1: was having, we didn't get a chance to learn about his 'speed' ceiling. We'll see that another time.

He's obviously very good. Whether he's going to be able to catch a Baffert horse that races close to the pace, or a Brad Cox horse running a big effort, and whether it all translates to 10 furlongs is still unknown. But he's a good horse, and he certainly isn't slow. There is nothing to be concerned about, regarding this specific race's speed figure.

Of the runner ups - Papetu was surprisingly good. He could be a decent horse for lesser stakes or allowance.
Tarantino ran another solid effort. He's a very versatile horse who could compete in a weaker stake on turf or synthetic.
Prime Factor appears to need to regroup, and then try sprinting.

taxicab 03-07-2021 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classhandicapper (Post 2704636)
Sonner or later a few of the horses Greatest Honour has been beating will make their way to NY or another circuit and we'll get a better line on the quality of those races.

Mixed bag so far.........1 for 4 exiting his Holly Bull.
Willy Boi took down the Hutchensen yeaterday,looked good doing it.
The other three have laid eggs on the comeback.