Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING: This mess keeps getting messier! (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62703)

andymays 10-16-2009 09:35 AM

CALIFORNIA HORSE RACING: This mess keeps getting messier!

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/sports/ci_13574049

By Art Wilson

Excerpt:

Wow, and I thought my bank account was in disarray.

Raise your hand if you think the California horse racing industry could get any more messed up than it already is today.

Didn't think so.

Let's start with two of the licensed Advance Deposit Wagering companies.
I'm no genius, but it seems to me this is a sport that should be bending over backward to attract new fans. Yet TVG continues to gauge its customers by charging them a small surcharge per bet and then making them pay even more if they want to watch their horses run on the Internet.
But at least TVG knows how to distribute its product, unlike Horse Racing TV, which continues to snub its nose at DirecTV and its potential 18 million viewers.

Santa Anita president Ron Charles has been telling me for three or four years now that it was only a matter of time before HRTV and DirecTV reached an agreement, and yet we're still waiting for that announcement.

Of course, TVG and HRTV don't have a monopoly when it comes to head-scratching decisions.

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/sports/ci_13574049

bisket 10-16-2009 09:43 AM

hrtv and direct tv make an agreement please. da bisket is begging!!! on another subject. andy all i wanted to see from rich in the goodwood was a faster first 3/4 to a mile. he has the stamina to finish a 24 second 1/4 at the end of 1 1/4 mile race. he just needed to start running his first mile in 136. he did in the goodwood, and he's still gonna improve more for the classic. just wanted you to know my thinking on him. good luck.

rrbauer 10-16-2009 10:21 AM

California Dreamin'

HRTV on Directv?
Real soon now.

ADW rebates to Calif customers?
Real soon now.

Reduce racing days to match horse inventory?
Real soon now.

Get drugs out of racing and get "pharmicists" out of the game?
Real soon now.

Take proactive stand and say goodbye to Hollywood Park?
Real soon now.

Speaking of "goodbyes", say goodbye to the BC after this year. The next time it comes around to Calif we'll all be pushing up daisies.

rwwupl 10-16-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrbauer
HRTV on Directv?
Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Speaking of "goodbyes", say goodbye to the BC after this year. The next time it comes around to Calif we'll all be pushing up daisies.

YEP. you are right. :)

DJofSD 10-16-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

HRTV on Directv?
Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

I'll second that.

For me, the BC "good bye" starts this year. I hope every one that does wager on the races has a profitable day. For myself, I plan on playing golf.

CBedo 10-16-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

HRTV on Directv?
Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

Real soon now.

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

LottaKash 10-16-2009 01:43 PM

I abandoned any more play at Cali-tracks, earlier in the year....It is obvious that they don't want me, or my kash.....Thumb your nose at me, will ya, my kash goes elsewhere....:jump:

They just don't get it, do they ?...

best,

Jens 10-16-2009 02:01 PM

Believe it or not the state song for California is "I love California." Believe it or not most people think the state song for California is "California here I come." One thing I believe is that the state song for horseplayers living in California should be.....

"California here I go"

California here I go,
It's plain to see you don't want my dough.
"No rebates on wagers,' your message is clear;
'Horseplayers not welcome. Bettors get out of here.'
Time to find a friendly state, California here I go.

Th.. Th.. Th.. Th.. Th.. Th.. That's all folks :mad:

Indulto 10-16-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens
Believe it or not the state song for California is "I love California." Believe it or not most people think the state song for California is "California here I come." One thing I believe is that the state song for horseplayers living in California should be.....

"California here I go"

California here I go,It's plain to see you don't want my dough.

:lol: :ThmbUp:

the_fat_man 10-16-2009 02:11 PM

I play OSA whenever I get a chance; and will be playing HOL and SA, regularly. And, GG is probably my favorite track (after WO). Can't wait for them to start up again. It's ALL GOOD in Fat Land (not to be confused with SYNTHETIC Land :lol:.)

DJofSD 10-16-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens

"California here I go"

California here I go,
It's plain to see you don't want my dough.

Good!

I'll add this and while viewing think of Bing as the CHRB, the TOC and we're the little girl.

Indulto 10-16-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJofSD
Good!

I'll add this and while viewing think of Bing as the CHRB, the TOC and we're the little girl.

DJ,
Was the thunderclap in that video the one that rained pennies on the Pro-Ride people as it washed out the Cushion Track at SA? ;)

DJofSD 10-16-2009 03:00 PM

That was a thunderclap? I thought it was the door slamming shut when the last bettor left the OTB.

twindouble 10-16-2009 07:14 PM

I'm no genius, but it seems to me this is a sport that should be bending over backward to attract new fans. Yet TVG continues to gauge its customers by charging them a small surcharge per bet and then making them pay even more if they want to watch their horses run on the Internet.

That has been my contention for a long time now, it's a no brainer. No business can withstand a dwindling costumer base, higher overhead and survive. This recession will take it's toll.

CTT president James Cassidy may be right when he says this isn't the economic climate for horsemen to be seeking more money or working to get the artificial tracks ripped out and replaced with traditional dirt surfaces.

Note; In your takeout thread, that was my underling theme.

"They can't run a hundred million times.

"I think Del Mar was a success this year. For this economy, it was really good. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact they took a little initiative and didn't race that sixth day. But you shouldn't have to wait until you're down in the dumps to do something." Then Sadler got really wild and crazy. "I'd love to see a rule go into Del Mar that you can't run more than three times at the meet," he said.

That rule is not about to happen, the tracks need those large fields and lousy conditions to create carryovers for the whales.

"It's funny, but anything that you say that affects anybody's money line, they don't like," Sadler said. "When it comes to (management), they like field size, so they don't want anything to discourage that. In an ideal world, you'd run every week in a 10-horse field. But that's just not reality."

The reality is carryovers, without those carryovers and large fields, I doubt Sadler would have said Del Mar had a successful meet.

CTT president James Cassidy may be right when he says this isn't the economic climate for horsemen to be seeking more money or working to get the artificial tracks ripped out and replaced with traditional dirt surfaces.

There's no maybe about it!

Now, about that synthetic tracks mandate, those shrinking purses, the rising costs of workman's compensation ...

I agree, bleeding the players are left is dumb but the likelihood of players at this point achieving anything of real value when all involve are clamoring for a better piece of the pie, what's left it, isn't in the cards. The only place we have a shot to get anything is rebates, for the simple reason they are already built into a player program. We just don't get our fair share. That will be an up hill battle because many support whales getting a free ride. When all is said and done, if they don't throw anything our way, that will be their mistake. Even though I play into higher takeout pools, that don't mean I'm happy with it. There's arguments pro and con about what the net effect would be on handle if there's reduction in rebates that the whales get, thinking they will go elsewhere. I'm not saying doing away with what they get, I'm saying give us players a better share. It's only fair in my mind. Like I said, something is better than nothing. In better times I wouldn't be so willing to compromise on that subject.

Horse players that love the sport should take the position of revitalizing it, not trashing it all the time. From where I sit that's a step in the right directions. The future of horse racing in my opinion is solely based on fan growth, that's the area they have failed on miserable for so many years. We need new and innovative ideas to reverse that trend and I think players can play a part to reach that goal.

Think about it, sense the 60's we've added countless millions of Americans to our population and still growing but racing has been stagnant in fan growth. As matter of fact I think its declined. I don't have any Stats on that but I would venture to say I'm right.

the_fat_man 10-16-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twindouble
The future of horse racing in my opinion is solely based on fan growth, that's the area they have failed on miserable for so many years. We need new and innovative ideas to reverse that trend and I think players can play a part to reach that goal.

I'm reading the same things over and over here and now you're even on board? How exactly does racing grow a fan base? "You make the game EASIER so that it takes LONGER for 99% of the bettors to lose their money." This is fine in theory but why would anybody but a degenerate ever want to play a game as difficult as this? The fans of the golden eras of racing were either recreational players, that went to the track for big races or degenerates. Argue all you want but the dude that introduced me to the game was a degenerate. He'd hit every so often but he would never be able to win in the long run --- rebate or otherwise. And, here's some enlightenment: I don't foresee much reduction in the DEGENERATE POOL. In fact, with all the gambling crazed Asians already in the US (and the millions more expected) we'll have more than our share of DEGENERATES in the years to come.

The setup is definitely UNFAIR. But it's not unfair in terms of TAKEOUT. You can still win if you have the ability. The real issues are the benefits that WHALES get and the hoarding of inaccurate data. All the rest is just squealing from those unable to beat the game the way it's set up. It's one thread after another about takeout and poly and track practices. Just the way things are. The real challenge is BEATING the game with all these obstacles. That's what makes it the ultimate challenge. Rather than squealing, those that can't cut it either need to step up their game a bit or just stop playing. I'm sure their seat will be taken by a DEGENERATE. How does anyone here focus on handicapping?