Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stockton universal basic income (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143406)

davew 02-19-2018 04:50 PM

Stockton universal basic income

The city of Stockton, CA is trying something for a year for a few dozen low income families. The families will get $500 / month for a year, with the money originating from a million dollar grant from some company. The city of Stockton went bankrupt in ? 2012 ? Universal income is currently being used in the state of Alaska, but not enough to live on, but enough to heat your house over the winter.

https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2018/01/22...-basic-income/

Clocker 02-19-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2279362)
Universal income is currently being used in the state of Alaska, but not enough to live on, but enough to heat your house over the winter.

The Alaska situation is quite different. In exchange for oil company drilling rights, the state takes title to around 22% of the oil that is pumped. It sells that oil on the open market and uses the funds to run the state. The state has no sales tax and no personal income tax. Part of the oil money is put into an investment fund, called the Permanent Fund.

Every year the state pays out part of that fund as a dividend to all citizens, regardless of income or need. The dividend varies from year to year, especially as the market price of oil varies. I have heard that the dividend has been as low as $800 during the recent recession. Last year I believe it was $2100. That's $8400 for a family of four.

Tom 02-19-2018 05:34 PM

An idea other states need to be looking at.
WE the people need to be getting a cut of OUR natural resources.

Alaska, guns and royalties!
And they can even keep an eye on those RUSSIANS!

Clocker 02-19-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2279398)

The Alaska constitution says that all unoccupied lands and natural resources are the joint property of the citizens of the state.

To repeat for the slow learners, especially in D.C. and blue states, the property of the citizens, not of the state.

davew 02-19-2018 05:57 PM

Quote:

And they can even keep an eye on those RUSSIANS!

There are some states that are doing that indirectly now - in WA a chunk of timber sales go to schools (which means less property tax)

Alaska paying residents is still a universal income, wherever the source is - some of the libs want this for EVERYONE (not sure if it includes resident long-term visitors)

Clocker 02-19-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2279413)

Alaska paying residents is still a universal income, wherever the source is - some of the libs want this for EVERYONE (not sure if it includes resident long-term visitors)

Actually, the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend is a universal income. The Stockton plan is neither universal nor basic in terms of cost of living:

Quote:

For one year, several dozen Stockton families will get $500 a month, no strings attached.
I assume those few families will be means tested? Or are they just FOM (Friends of the Mayor)?

barahona44 02-19-2018 06:46 PM

Quote:

And they can even keep an eye on those RUSSIANS

Sarah Palin is keeping an eye on those Soviets for us.She can see Russia from her front porch.
(A little 2008 nostalgia for us old folks.)

NJ Stinks 02-19-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2279404)
The Alaska constitution says that all unoccupied lands and natural resources are the joint property of the citizens of the state.

To repeat for the slow learners, especially in D.C. and blue states, the property of the citizens, not of the state.

Wow wee! I'll get the covered wagon packed and head northwest tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Clocker 02-19-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJ Stinks (Post 2279565)
Wow wee! I'll get the covered wagon packed and head northwest tomorrow. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't like it. You have to show proof of gun ownership to get a driver's license and to register to vote, and concealed carry is mandatory for adults to qualify for the Permanent Fund Dividend.

sandpit 02-20-2018 12:23 AM

Quote:

Get out more, you can take the Alcan highway in all its paved luxury in your internal combustion engine-powered vehicle.

And having traveled extensively in all but one of the 50 states, I can say without a doubt that Alaska is preferable to nearly every state or commonwealth, but of course that's a matter of taste. I guess there are people that find Newark more beautiful than Anchorage.

Clocker 02-20-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandpit (Post 2279616)
I guess there are people that find Newark more beautiful than Anchorage.

I've been up there. The locals say that the best thing about Anchorage is that it is so close to Alaska.

sandpit 02-20-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2279621)
I've been up there. The locals say that the best thing about Anchorage is that it is so close to Alaska.

I enjoyed Anchorage, they have a fantastic art museum, if nothing else. But it's tough on the poor place when you are surrounded by such incredible beauty. At least it's not Fairbanks, which isn't a vacation hotspot, to put it kindly.

Tom 02-20-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Some one from JOISSY dissing another state?

:pound::pound::pound::pound:
Balls of BRASS, Stinky.....solid BRASS!

chrisl 02-21-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandpit (Post 2279667)
I enjoyed Anchorage, they have a fantastic art museum, if nothing else. But it's tough on the poor place when you are surrounded by such incredible beauty. At least it's not Fairbanks, which isn't a vacation hotspot, to put it kindly.

Alaska Bush Company is a nice place to hangout also.:popcorn::popcorn: