Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Unfunded Liabilities (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149487)

Buckeye 12-25-2018 08:20 PM

Unfunded Liabilities

There are no such things, it's a non-sequitur.

Those who claim otherwise are just making stuff up.

I've read the USA has 200 plus Trillion of them.

The missing key word here is 'future' (Unfunded Liabilities) and my question is so what?

If we fund them now they are current.

Clocker 12-25-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye (Post 2410787)
The missing key word here is 'future' (Unfunded Liabilities) and my question is so what?

If we fund them now they are current.

You can't fund them now if you are already spending more than you are taking in now. Which means that you are going deeper in debt now, and will go even deeper in debt to meet the unfunded liabilities when they come due.

Buckeye 12-25-2018 08:50 PM

I totally agree Clocker and am just sick of hearing about so-called unfunded liabilities from libertarians among others.

davew 12-25-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2410791)
You can't fund them now if you are already spending more than you are taking in now. Which means that you are going deeper in debt now, and will go even deeper in debt to meet the unfunded liabilities when they come due.

The government will be able to make that up with more volume.

Clocker 12-25-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye (Post 2410792)
I totally agree Clocker and am just sick of hearing about so-called unfunded liabilities from libertarians among others.

"So-called"? Okay, it's a fancy name for running up big debts and passing them on to future generations without having to worry about paying them. It's real, and it's great if you can get away with it. Screw the next generation!

Buckeye 12-25-2018 09:33 PM

So you refuse to agree with me even when we do? That's rich.

There are no 'unfunded liabilities' that's all I'm saying.

sammy the sage 12-25-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye (Post 2410806)

I'll disagree on THIS topic...and this will explain it better than I

https://www.thebalance.com/unfunded-...amples-4159564

Clocker 12-25-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye (Post 2410806)

I don't agree with you, and you don't understand the concept.

A typical pension fund has a contribution, i.e., deduction, from the wage earner and a similar contribution from the employer. If the employer, such as a state government, does not make the contribution into the fund, essentially putting an I.O.U. into the fund, then the pension is unfunded, or at least under-funded.

If the state did not have the money to fund the pension when it should have, it sure as hail ain't gonna have the money to pay the pension when it comes due. So it will go further into debt.

Buckeye 12-25-2018 10:41 PM

So basically we're talking about the future.

davew 12-25-2018 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2410814)
I don't agree with you, and you don't understand the concept.

A typical pension fund has a contribution, i.e., deduction, from the wage earner and a similar contribution from the employer. If the employer, such as a state government, does not make the contribution into the fund, essentially putting an I.O.U. into the fund, then the pension is unfunded, or at least under-funded.

If the state did not have the money to fund the pension when it should have, it sure as hail ain't gonna have the money to pay the pension when it comes due. So it will go further into debt.

what about when the state uses the employee contribution to help pay current retirees? a typical Ponzi?

Clocker 12-25-2018 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2410793)
The government will be able to make that up with more volume.

Certainly. But they need to encourage more people to have kids to increase the number of tax payers down the road. :jump:

zico20 12-25-2018 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2410848)
Certainly. But they need to encourage more people to have kids to increase the number of tax payers down the road. :jump:

Or outlaw abortion.:jump:

Clocker 12-25-2018 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2410820)
what about when the state uses the employee contribution to help pay current retirees? a typical Ponzi?

It's not a Ponzi scheme if the government does it. The perpetrators are not making direct personal gain from the scam, they are only gaining political power which may lead to other personal gain.

Actor 12-26-2018 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2410820)

In Flemming v. Nestor(1960) SCOTUS ruled that the Social Security withholding from workers' paychecks is a tax which the government my do with as it sees fit, and that the government is not obligated to pay Social Security benefits. This decision severs the nexus between the SS tax and SS payments, ergo, SS is not a Ponzi scheme. Persons receiving SS checks are on welfare.

barahona44 12-26-2018 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor (Post 2410922)
Persons receiving SS checks are on welfare.

I wouldn't walk into an AARP convention and say that.They'll beat you within an inch of your life with their walkers and colostomy bags. :eek: :D