Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Los Al in a huge crapstorm with the CHRB (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162209)

dilanesp 12-20-2020 11:45 PM

Los Al in a huge crapstorm with the CHRB

Details here:

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...o-close-track/

They just tweeted this:

Their fatality rate was appalling this year, so I understand why CHRB is playing hardball with them.

But to be clear, while Los Alamitos' thoroughbred meet is stupid and unnecessary, it may be the most important quarter horse track in the country. Any sort of closure would grievously harm quarter horse racing in America. And it looks like the two sides are at loggerheads.

Redbullsnation 12-21-2020 04:00 AM

CHRB can kiss my ass. SoCal needs another track. Can't just be Santa Anita and Del Mar over there

JustRalph 12-21-2020 04:42 AM

The real estate people are standing outside the gate with their check books

dilanesp 12-21-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbullsnation (Post 2686706)
CHRB can kiss my ass. SoCal needs another track. Can't just be Santa Anita and Del Mar over there

We really don't, for thoroughbreds. As long as GGF is running when our tracks aren't, things would work out OK.

But quarter horse racing DOES need Los Al.

castaway01 12-21-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2686760)
We really don't, for thoroughbreds. As long as GGF is running when our tracks aren't, things would work out OK.

But quarter horse racing DOES need Los Al.

How is a synthetic track that is 400 miles away a substitute for Los Alamitos?

dilanesp 12-21-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castaway01 (Post 2686762)
How is a synthetic track that is 400 miles away a substitute for Los Alamitos?

I don't know, how is a track with a crappy layout, overly tight turns, and no turf course adequate for thoroughbred racing in Southern California? Remember, a lot of horses are resting or shipping out during the Los Al meets already.

Dan Montilion 12-21-2020 03:30 PM

“Los Alamitos will be requesting reconsideration of the action taken by the board and hopes that its request will be acted on in an expedited manner,” Jack Liebau, the track's vice president, told the Los Angeles Times.

Jack Liebau Mucky Muck @ Bay Meadows... Developed

Jack Liebau Mucky Muck @ Hollywood Park... Developed

Jack Liebau @ Los Alamitos... ?

Allred deserves Kudos for stepping in and attempting to aid SoCal racing. Perhaps not so much with the TB meet they run, but with stabling. As to Los Al being most important QH track in the nation. With the exception of their biggest monied races the QH races at Los Al are a side note. Gone are the Los Al days of Bobby Adair, Danny Cardoza, John Watson, Charlie Smith, Kenny Hart. I would argue if the QH racing was still at its heyday at Los Al Allred would not have needed to step in and help the TB industry.

Andy Asaro 12-21-2020 04:00 PM

When HP closed they should have went to Pomona for a permanent solution. It was rigged then and it is rigged now. Short term thinking won again.

dilanesp 12-21-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Asaro (Post 2686850)
When HP closed they should have went to Pomona for a permanent solution. It was rigged then and it is rigged now. Short term thinking won again.

What they should have done is shrink from two circuits to one (as California was when it was successful from the 1930's to the 1960's).

And that's still what they should do. With one circuit, we'd probably have lots of full fields and good, bettable races. We might even (in non-coronavirus times) increase attendance.

groupie doll 12-22-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbullsnation (Post 2686706)

The best SoCal track (by far) closed in 2013...

davew 12-22-2020 08:58 AM

It is amazing how much better Santa Anita has done for horses dying the last year.

Waquoit 12-22-2020 10:24 AM

The stopped running on unsafe tracks, wasn't that the main reason?

GMB@BP 12-22-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waquoit (Post 2687056)
The stopped running on unsafe tracks, wasn't that the main reason?

Regression to the mean is probably a lot more likely, but of course I am sure the little things they did probably had a small effect.

dilanesp 12-22-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groupie doll (Post 2687038)
The best SoCal track (by far) closed in 2013...

It was my favorite.

cj 12-22-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMB@BP (Post 2687059)
Regression to the mean is probably a lot more likely, but of course I am sure the little things they did probably had a small effect.

I give them a little more credit than that. Regression to the mean is one thing, but this is better IMO.