Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Jacob deGrom... (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164749)

Johnny V 06-12-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secondbest (Post 2730623)
They’re saying he may have an Elbow injury.

It supposedly is tendonitis of the right forearm. deGrom and management both stated they expect him to make his next start against the CHC on Wednesday. We shall see. That 0.56 ERA is crazy unbelievable.
Hey how about those Giants? DeScalfani pitched a 1-0 complete game shutout giving up only 2 hits and 1 walk against WAS last night.

pandy 06-12-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandy (Post 2730631)
Degrom has allowed 11 earned runs this season and he has 11 RBI's. Amazing.

I just found out that these numbers are wrong. My son just told me that Degrom has allowed 4 earned runs and has 5 RBI's.

Johnny V 06-12-2021 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandy (Post 2730668)
I just found out that these numbers are wrong. My son just told me that Degrom has allowed 4 earned runs and has 5 RBI's.

Pandy, along with those 5 RBI's the guy is hitting .400. Of course deGrom has only 25 AB's, but what the heck, the guy is a pitcher, so that is pretty damn good.

Robert Fischer 06-12-2021 11:27 AM

95mph used to be 'heat'

substances on the fingers and ball used to reserved to the rosin-bag, and for guys with arm injuries or greg maddux-level fastballs

JustRalph 06-12-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandy (Post 2730631)
Degrom has allowed 11 earned runs this season and he has 11 RBI's. Amazing.

Old school. When pitchers tried to hit

JustRalph 06-12-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer (Post 2730691)
95mph used to be 'heat'

substances on the fingers and ball used to reserved to the rosin-bag, and for guys with arm injuries or greg maddux-level fastballs

I think Maddox had about 8 pitches and 3 were fastballs of varying speeds. He was awesome

Marshall Bennett 06-12-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2730795)
I think Maddox had about 8 pitches and 3 were fastballs of varying speeds. He was awesome

Nothing ever rattled him either. A stone cold figure on the mound. I always felt when compared to the game's pitching greats he's somewhat underrated.

Robert Fischer 06-12-2021 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2730795)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett (Post 2730806)
Nothing ever rattled him either. A stone cold figure on the mound. I always felt when compared to the game's pitching greats he's somewhat underrated.

made it look easy

Maddox was my favorite pitcher.

He had a cutting fastball that almost moved like the slider version of a screwball.

Befuddle hitters.

He'd have a hard time making the pros today, where they'd be looking for MPH and 'Spin Rate', but he could dominate today.

jay68802 06-12-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Fischer (Post 2730809)
made it look easy

Maddox was my favorite pitcher.

He had a cutting fastball that almost moved like the slider version of a screwball.

Befuddle hitters.

He'd have a hard time making the pros today, where they'd be looking for MPH and 'Spin Rate', but he could dominate today.

Greg Maddox was warming up before a game. As usual, a group of fans was watching. One of them, about 14, watched, and when he was finished, stated "I can throw that hard." Maddox said he was a little embarrassed by that comment.

thaskalos 06-12-2021 06:39 PM

When Maddux was at his best as a pitcher...he appeared on the then popular sports show "Up Close", with Roy Firestone. Here is how the interview went, at one point:

Firestone: "If you had to pay to watch one pitcher today other than yourself...who would that pitcher be?"

Maddux: "Randy Johnson."

Firestone: "Why Randy Johnson?"

Maddux: "Because I think he is the most dominating pitcher in the game today. People think that Johnson is just a 'thrower', but take it from me...he is an awesome pitcher, period!"

Firestone: "Is he a better pitcher than you?"

Maddux: "Well..."

Firestone: "Randy Johnson is a better pitcher than YOU?"

Maddux: "Well...let me put it this way. If you asked the 10 best hitters in baseball whom they'd rather face, me or Randy Johnson...I bet that I'd get all 10 votes".

When Greatness and Humility meet in the same person...it's a sight to behold. :ThmbUp:

thaskalos 06-12-2021 06:49 PM

Another Maddux moment...

Maddux was recently on ESPN for a long interview, with, I believe, Rich Eisen. At the very end of the interview, Eisen asked him something like:

"What should people know about you that they don't know already?"

And Maddux responded with:

"Only two things really mattered to me on the field; my preparation...and doing my best. As long as I knew that I prepared as well as I could, and that I gave it my best on the field...then the outcome of the game didn't really matter to me."

A great answer, I thought...and an even better piece of advice for the serious horseplayer. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph 06-12-2021 07:45 PM

As my dad was in his last months we were able watch the Randy Johnson-Curt Schilling Diamondbacks World Series, every moment. Dad loved Johnson. I cannot think of either those guys without smiling for just a second………it brings back a great feeling

Johnny V 06-12-2021 10:12 PM

Maddux was some kind of pitcher. He was a quick worker on the mound and was a consummate professional. A class act. Maddux once pitched a complete game and threw only 76 pitches.

Marshall Bennett 06-13-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2730828)

Maddux: "Well...let me put it this way. If you asked the 10 best hitters in baseball whom they'd rather face, me or Randy Johnson...I bet that I'd get all 10 votes".

Johnson was probably the most intimidating figure that ever took the mound. Tall (6'10"), long and lanky, and a delivery way off center with excellent heat. His size and arm length had him appear a lot closer to the hitter at his release point. J.R. Richard was another, only from the right side.
Maddux was a master of control. Hitters felt more secure digging in. Though their success rate against him were poor overall, few would rather face Johnson, imo.

Rex Phinney 06-14-2021 01:26 PM

Randy Johnson was surely one of kind. He wasn't trying to get guys out by finding their weakness but rather his strength. He was going to do his thing and it was probably going to be more than you could handle.