Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Handicapping Library (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ??? NEW RPM CATALOG ???? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37732)

timtam 07-10-2007 06:10 PM

??? NEW RPM CATALOG ????

I just received the ( new ) RPM catalog and must admit I was totally

disappointed. I know many people on the board could give a darn but most

of the catalog is old re-hashed systems and methods from years ago,

They even have the Beyer Elimination Method by the late Jeff Goldstein

as a ' new ' item. Unfortunately I have most of this stuff accumulated over

the years in various ways so if anyone wants any info on any (new,old)

item let me know. :sleeping:

Overlay 07-11-2007 12:09 AM

I would suppose the Internet has facilitated self-marketing to such an extent, and has a broader reach than any individual listing or catalog could ever have, that there's no longer a niche for that type of clearinghouse of hard-copy information related strictly to handicapping, especially when a would-be seller is paying the middleman 50% of the gross proceeds on every copy sold simply for the publicity, and then still has to absorb the cost of printing and shipping copies to the middleman out of his remaining half.

lsosa54 07-11-2007 10:36 AM

RPM

Once I found out that Dave Powers, who runs RPM, and Clint Tracy, were one and the same, and he was marketing methods under both authors' names, I stopped purchasing from RPM. Too strange for me.

Did speak to Dave/Clint a couple of times - nice guy - and he did give me credit once for a method I decided to return. This was years ago.

I think he did have Overlay Handicapping in the catalogue at one time.

Tom 07-11-2007 12:53 PM

Did you man to say "nice guys" :lol:

banacek 07-11-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom

Hey, Clint and Dave went to high school together!

lsosa54 07-11-2007 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom

I should have known that was coming! :D

Profiler8 07-11-2007 03:29 PM

Hello,

can I reach RPM on an internet page ?
Can someone ships me the catalogue ?

I can cover postage to Germany with PayPal.

Thanks...

Greetings
Tim Leonhardt

lsosa54 07-11-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Profiler8
Hello,

can I reach RPM on an internet page ?
Can someone ships me the catalogue ?

I can cover postage to Germany with PayPal.

Thanks...

Greetings
Tim Leonhardt

Tim: This used to be their url but it no longer works:

http://www.wizardstore.com/

His contact info was/is:

RPM INFORMATION SYSTEMS
6965 El Camino Real, Suite # 105-454
Carlsbad, CA 92009
Phone: 1-800-696-0067

You probably can't reach the 800 # from overseas and I'm not even sure if it works. I could not find a business listing in the yellow pages. He had a small office in a strip mall. Sorry.

Overlay 07-11-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsosa54
I think he did have Overlay Handicapping in the catalogue at one time.

Yes, he did, but we came to a parting of the ways when I had trouble formalizing the terms of our association in writing, as I was advised to do by an attorney. (The only way I could ever communicate with Dave was by telephone.) I also did not have adequate visibility/accountability of his sales of my titles. I eventually decided I had better not put all my eggs in the RPM basket, and so branched out on my own initiative to American Turf Monthly, Gambler's Book Shop, and other outlets, before eventually starting my own direct-sale website. I don't believe I've lost out on any substantial income as a result, especially (as I say) considering that 50% of my gross sales went to RPM off the top.

timtam 07-13-2007 12:15 PM

I have numerous methods from RPM and many are from 'long time subscribers'

who happen to be old and now just happened to sell their methods to

RPM. Do you think the systems and methods in the catalog are from all

these different authors or are a couple of guys writing the methods and

just using many other names? When the systems are actually boiled down

many are maybe one or two pages double spaced the rest is accompanied

by a workout which takes up many pages. I go through the workouts after

I see the rules and many of the systems (even the example races) are

mistake prone. They show how a horse is selected as a win bet but

you notice it is eliminated in the first elimination rule. Thats unfair :bang:

Overlay 07-13-2007 06:11 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they are in fact by different authors. Of course, the main concern is how a product or method performs (regardless of what its source is). I think it pays to be discerning in that regard. After a while, by applying handicapping experience and judgment (concerning both the products and their developers), you can get a pretty good idea about which approaches are worth exploring further, and which aren't.

dutchboy 07-13-2007 08:17 PM

Did you ever see the "gift horse method" for selecting longshots? If you take that system and look at pp's you will find an amazing number of longshots listed each day. I don't mean they won today but if you would look for a horse that was 12-1 and won at some time in the past.

I first saw it in the "Del Mar Digest" they used to publish. I was younger and naive so I took a week of vacation at Del Mar to play the system and did not cash a ticket. Got off the plane at home and went to play golf. Checked the results the next day as it was before what you could now do on the internet. I think it had a couple of bombs at del mar and a huge price at saratoga.

It was well written and seemed to make a lot of sense. If anyone would like a brief recap of the system just ask on this web page.

Woodbine R8 on 6-24-07 G1 $1 million purse. Winner pd 32.4 and was a gift h.
Monmouth R5 on 6-23-07 ngs 60k purse. Winner pd 61.8 and was a gift horse

In one of the past PP's a horse at aqu in Jan that qualified and won at 57-1

timtam 07-13-2007 10:13 PM

I think if memory serves me correctly somebody came out with a

Gift Horse 2 and marketed as an entire new system. I think I remember

Gift Horse 1 back in the 80's. Is this the time frame your referring to ?

Kelso 07-14-2007 02:49 AM

Gift Horse Method

Quote:

Originally Posted by dutchboy
It was well written and seemed to make a lot of sense. If anyone would like a brief recap of the system just ask on this web page.

Woodbine R8 on 6-24-07 G1 $1 million purse. Winner pd 32.4 and was a gift h.
Monmouth R5 on 6-23-07 ngs 60k purse. Winner pd 61.8 and was a gift horse

OK .... I'm asking.

(Any feel for how many plays the system would yield in, say, a week at any one track?)

Thank you.

Harmonicaslim 07-14-2007 07:44 AM

Timtam is right, there was a Gift Horse 2. I think it was a bonus to their PHQS software.

Pcon04 07-14-2007 10:16 AM

gifthorse

I could use a gift horse!!!! PCON

NormanTD 07-14-2007 10:20 AM

And I sure would not look it in the mouth.

dutchboy 07-14-2007 10:51 AM

1. Bet the horse at minimum odds of 12-1

2. It is based on the even finish theory. Only look at the horses last 3 running lines. It appears to have started some time around 1950 in Ireland or England by people who would watch and keep track by pen and pencil of the horses finish.

3. Look at the finish position and the position of the horse at the point of call before the finish. The finish position does not matter. The horse could have been second or 10th. Next look at lenghts behind the winner.

4. Use any horse that ran an even finish which is defined by the last two call. It cannot change more than one number. Lenghts behind cannot change more than one.

5. Here is an example from Woodbine R 8 on Sunday June 24th which was the million dollar queens plate. The winners last race on may 23rd looked like 1,1 and 1,1.25 and the win price was 32.40 The second place horse race 2 back on may 13 looked like 1,.5 and 1 1.25 and it paid 16.30 to place. Not sure of the exacta.

Guess the theory is that the beaten horse ran just as well to finish the race as the winner even if it may have finished 8th and 15 lgs behind as long as it maintained the same distance behind the winner and it did not change more than one number. Finish position could be 8/7 8/6 8/8 Beaten lengths could be 10/11 10/9 10/12. It may also be used as a way to color a horses ability. After the horse ran this type of race the trainer may place it in a class or type of race next out where the horse has no chance to win so it will appear to run very poor which may have been the connections plan and then put it back where it has a chance and will win or run second at huge odds.

I think I first saw it in the late 80's. It started with very simple rules then was enhanced which may not have helped. It was no longer published after it went to the computer program. Like a lot of things once the computer/smart guys get a hold of it they seem to make it too complicated with so many rules it no longer is effective. Not sure how many plays per week at a track but it does appear a large percentage of longshot horses that win at 12-1 and above show this pattern. Sorry for the long message if anyone is annoyed by it's lengths. When you may be bored take a look at the form and they should appear.

Kelso 07-14-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

4. Use any horse that ran an even finish which is defined by the last two call. It cannot change more than one number. Lenghts behind cannot change more than one.

<snip:>

Finish position could be 8/7 8/6 8/8 Beaten lengths could be 10/11 10/9 10/12. It may also be used as a way to color a horses ability.

Thank you, Dutchboy. Interesting, and the coloring theory makes sense to me.

Not sure what the finish and beaten examples mean. 8/6 and 10/12 are seperated by two. What am I reading incorrectly?

Do any of the past three races count, so long as they meet the "didn't change by more than one" rule? And any idea why improving by more than one eliminates the horse?

Thanks again.

dutchboy 07-14-2007 02:35 PM

Hard to describe but easy to see in the form but here goes. Any of the last 3 races can be used. Look at those pacelines. I found an excellent example in race 8 today 7-14-07 at Hollywood. Look at the #3 horse Tiago. Mdn race on 1-21-07 the pp shows it finished 2nd, a hd behind. The point of call before the finish showed the horse 2nd and a 1/2 length behind. The important thing is that the position changed no more than 1. It could be 3rd to 2nd or 3rd to 4th or same at 3 and 3. If the horse finished 3rd but was 5th or first, pass. If the horse finishes 3 lgs behind it is allowed to have been between 2-4 lgs behind at the previous point of call. It seems like it happens more often within the last 2 races.

The race example mentioned above shows Tiago is second in the mdn race used for this example. The next race he is put in a G2 race and runs 7th which may help explain why he then wins 4-07-07 at odds of 29.3 I guess going from a mdn 48k to a G2 could qualify as "coloring or concealing" the current ability of the horse. I assume the connections have an idea how good the horse may run.

dutchboy 07-14-2007 03:46 PM

Same race as above. Hol r8 today. Look at number 6 souvenir slew. Look at the last two points of call for the races on both 3-14 and 2-17. Then look at the race on 3-30 and you will see the horse win at odds of 24-1 Wierd why the horse would all of a sudden go wire to wire to win after not appearing to have much ability by just looking at past betting odds and not being close to winning it's first two races.

The system might work with an ADW where you could place wagers in advance based on being able to load a specfied min odd. It think the ADW that advertises on this board might be an option if they had a better selection of tracks.

At lunch today the slip of paper in the fortune cookie read "If you can't accept losing, you can't win." True story.

Kelso 07-14-2007 11:24 PM

Thanks, Dutchboy

Gonna monitor this one at some tracks for awhile. Should be fun :) . Might be profitable! :jump:

Wickel 07-15-2007 12:36 AM

How about authors Tom Console and Len Cz (short for long Polish name): Are these two also pseudonyms for Dave Powers, or do they exist? I keep getting stuff from Console through the mail. Most recently, I received the Exacta Selector. Any report on this one?

Overlay 07-15-2007 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickel
How about authors Tom Console and Len Cz (short for long Polish name): Are these two also pseudonyms for Dave Powers, or do they exist? I keep getting stuff from Console through the mail. Most recently, I received the Exacta Selector. Any report on this one?

No comment on any of his handicapping products, but, as far as I know, Tom Console is a separate individual (and a member of PA) based in Scottsdale, Arizona.

Len Czyzniejewski appears to be from Las Vegas, and has a multi-faceted result on Google, including writing film reviews and books on poker, in addition to his work with handicapping.

dutchboy 07-15-2007 10:02 AM

Today in R9 at Hol look at the pp's of #1 Bright Prediction. Won last race at 85-1 Two races back it ran the even style finish.

Today in R10 at Delaware look at the pp's of #3 Hal's My Hope. On feb 3rd at gp it won at 108-1 Then look at the pp 3 races previous on 12-19 at crc you will see the even style finish.

Wickel 07-19-2007 02:22 PM

I just received the RPM catalog a couple of days ago. I agree there is some slim pickings. I've had my eye on the "Pace Evaluation," which uses Sartin-like ratings, and the "Money-Per-Race" software packages. Any critiques on any of these?

dutchboy 07-19-2007 07:28 PM

Race 3 today at Del Mar. # 7 Freedom Class wins and pays 133.80

Check the pp's for last two points of call for the race 3 back on june 29 at Hollywood.

Yesterday at DMR in R4 the #6 qualified: won and paid 40.60

lsosa54 07-19-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Yesterday at DMR in R4 the #6 qualified: won and paid 40.60

I believe the 3,4,7,8 also qualified on the "even finish" and the 4,7,8 would have been plays as they were all over 12-1. Still, betting $8 to get $40 is a pretty nice return.

How did that bomb qualify today 3 back - I didn't get the pp's today. What were it's qualifying calls? Only "even finish" or were there others at 12-1 or higher? Cho doesn't win often, that's for sure.

Secretariat 07-20-2007 01:55 PM

I was just curious. There is a guy named Dave Venturo who got a bunch of 9 ratings from Phillips newsletter. I ran some of his methods which underperformed the claims (what a shock huh?). Connections Handicapping, JOT system, Quick Pick Winners, Solid Gold Handicapping, KISS Handicapping, Consenus Overlay, etc.

I was wondering what others success with this guy was, and whether Dave Venturo and Dave Powers were the same guy.

Pell Mell 07-20-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsosa54
I believe the 3,4,7,8 also qualified on the "even finish" and the 4,7,8 would have been plays as they were all over 12-1. Still, betting $8 to get $40 is a pretty nice return.

How did that bomb qualify today 3 back - I didn't get the pp's today. What were it's qualifying calls? Only "even finish" or were there others at 12-1 or higher? Cho doesn't win often, that's for sure.

That's the problem with backfitting in that manner. You don't know how many qualifers there were in any given race.

Reminds me of when I bought my first Town Car, I never knew there were so many till I started looking for them.

Maji 07-20-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secretariat
I was just curious. There is a guy named Dave Venturo who got a bunch of 9 ratings from Phillips newsletter. I ran some of his methods which underperformed the claims (what a shock huh?). Connections Handicapping, JOT system, Quick Pick Winners, Solid Gold Handicapping, KISS Handicapping, Consenus Overlay, etc.

I was wondering what others success with this guy was, and whether Dave Venturo and Dave Powers were the same guy.

I have bought stuff from both the Daves, and I don't think they are the same person, atleast their mailing addresses are from two different parts of the country. By the way, the results are the same, ie, pathetic, for systems sold by both. However, I have to say, it gave me some new ideas to experiment with.

Dave Schwartz 07-20-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

I have bought stuff from both the Daves...

Hey, do you think when something like this is posted we could buy a vowel or something? I mean, it's tough enough being me as it is.

:D

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Bill Olmsted 07-20-2007 05:00 PM

The Two Daves.....Takes me waaaaaaaaaaaay back.

lsosa54 07-20-2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secretariat
and whether Dave Venturo and Dave Powers were the same guy.

Methinks Clint Tracy might be a bit jealous or confused if it were so........:bang:

Secretariat 07-20-2007 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Hey, do you think when something like this is posted we could buy a vowel or something? I mean, it's tough enough being me as it is.

:D

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Another Dave? Is this Dave Powers? or what about Dave Venturo? Just kidding. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dutchboy 07-20-2007 10:15 PM

DMR R3 July 19, 2007Only qualified horse on odds and type finish was the 7 who paid 133.80
Paceline 3 back on 6-29-07 showed these points of call:

6,4 : 6,4: 3,3 : finished 2nd 2.5 lgs back. If the paceline is correct the horse ran basically the same speed in the race as the winner in the last part of the race. Did not lose or gain more than one position. Did not lose or gain more than 1 length.

Wed and Thurs there were 14 qualified horses at Del Mar. 3 won and they paid 133.80 : 31.60 : 40.60

Today Friday the #1 in race 2 was the only qualiier and ran 2nd at 12-1 Races 4,5,7 have no qualifiers. R7 has not run but it odds are low. R6 too many qualified.

Kelso 07-20-2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

R6 too many qualified.

DB,
Does the system specify an outside number, or percentage, of qualifiers in a race beyond which the race itself is disqualified?

Also, you wrote that specific finishing position doesn't matter ... "could have been second or 10th." How about a winning race? I've seen several over the past few days where a horse "qualifies" only if a winning race (among prior three) is counted.

Thank you.

dutchboy 07-21-2007 06:52 AM

Does not seem what the finish position was of the paceline considered as long as the last two points of call showed an even finish. Ex: won the race or finished 6th. I have seen examples where a horse wins the last race and wins again at big odds as long as it did not win by more than 1 position or win by more than 1 lenghth.

Not sure what to do if too many horses qualify in a race. Can't bet them all and perhaps too many qualified on odds because the favorite is too good or it is a strange race. I have never been sure of the accuracy of lenghts behind in a paceline. Why would the chartmaker be concerned about the accuracy of a horse beaten by over 6 lengths?

Biggest problem may be playing thru the long losing streaks of no longshots or not being there when they do win. Of course if it was a great money making system why would it have ever been sold for 35.00

lsosa54 07-21-2007 09:39 PM

You can add Gasin The Turbo in today's 5th at DMR to the list - $124.00 cool ones.

Quote:

Does not seem what the finish position was of the paceline considered as long as the last two points of call showed an even finish. Ex: won the race or finished 6th. I have seen examples where a horse wins the last race and wins again at big odds as long as it did not win by more than 1 position or win by more than 1 lenghth.

Not sure what to do if too many horses qualify in a race. Can't bet them all and perhaps too many qualified on odds because the favorite is too good or it is a strange race. I have never been sure of the accuracy of lenghts behind in a paceline. Why would the chartmaker be concerned about the accuracy of a horse beaten by over 6 lengths?

Biggest problem may be playing thru the long losing streaks of no longshots or not being there when they do win. Of course if it was a great money making system why would it have ever been sold for 35.00

dutchboy 07-22-2007 09:37 AM

Also add from R9 at Colonial saturday. The 1 million g2 virg derby. 2 horses qualified and one of them won and paid 76.00 Seems wierd how the horse can pay 76.00 just based on past odds. The horse was the fav in each of the past 4 races. Basically even money in each of those 4 races. Pletcher trained. 15-1 ML