Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Pirate's "Magic Number" (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166811)

mountainman 09-19-2021 01:28 AM

The Pirate's "Magic Number"

Stands at four, after tonite's win over the Marlins. Partly from being a Bucco loyalist, but mostly on a whim, I put money (just enough to sting a bit if I lost) on Pittsburgh to win 60 games this year. I was walking past the sports book several months ago after making a semi-memorable score on Mahoning, and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

If you follow baseball and gamble, you can imagine the slow-burn pleasure (somehow kicked up by all the impromptu math) of watching the team wobble along the wager's mason dixon line. Like a five month horserace that you just know is going to be close.

Except now that the Pirates have taken 8 of their last 11, my horse has inched ahead, and the wire fast approaches.

Beat 'em Bucs!!

Robert Fischer 09-19-2021 01:35 PM

:ThmbUp: Good luck

about 14 games left, so will exactly '60' (about a 4-10 record) will tie or win it outright for you??

It's been a while since I've followed the standings, and this thread made me scramble to the standings to see how the Buccos could possibly be in first place :D

Took a second to absorb the whole 60game thing

mountainman 09-24-2021 10:18 AM

Up 6-zip last nite and surrender 10 unanswered. goodbye cinch wager. now I sweat.

thaskalos 09-25-2021 07:48 PM

My son needs the White Sox to win 91 games. He is sweating too.

mountainman 09-29-2021 02:00 PM

NOW, I got 'em. Hit the gym, sick, draconian gods of gambling, and try again next year.
And I REFUSE the obvious hedge. After all the delicious torment that was this Pirate's season, I want every shilling stipulated in the wager.

thaskalos 09-30-2021 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2757366)
NOW, I got 'em. Hit the gym, sick, draconian gods of gambling, and try again next year.
And I REFUSE the obvious hedge. After all the delicious torment that was this Pirate's season, I want every shilling stipulated in the wager.

Could it be that you've spoken too soon...?

mountainman 10-01-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2757632)
Could it be that you've spoken too soon...?

Sure. LOL. And it wouldn't be the first time. But if money had been the objective, I would have begun hedging last night and guaranteed myself a sweet profit either way. This fight has been coming all summer long. I wanted it. Begged for it.

The next three days will tell if it pays to taunt the gods of fate.

thaskalos 10-01-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2757781)
Sure. LOL. And it wouldn't be the first time. But if money had been the objective, I would have begun hedging last night and guaranteed myself a sweet profit either way. This fight has been coming all summer long. I wanted it. Begged for it.

The next three days will tell if it pays to taunt the gods of fate.

I would send a prayer your way...but I'm not sure if anybody up there likes me.

thaskalos 10-01-2021 09:50 PM

With AUTHORITY! :ThmbUp:

mountainman 10-01-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2757821)
With AUTHORITY! :ThmbUp:

Tx , Gus. It goes without saying that were the roles reversed I would likewise have rooted for you. Hard.

Time to again tuck away and conceal my seething contempt for the gods of fate. Not a good look.

rastajenk 10-02-2021 07:59 AM

I've been watching this thread with some interest. A few days before the original post, I was listening to some sportstalk chatter about the Reds' chances of making the playoffs. At the time, I think they were two back of San Diego, who also it seems spit the bit, but the main take-away was that the Reds had 9 games left with the Pirates (and four with the Nationals), and if they couldn't win X number of games with those lowlifes, they wouldn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

So going into the weekend the two teams were 3-3 in the previous two series. I was pretty certain Man Mountain was going to get his 60. :cool:

Secondbest 10-02-2021 11:49 AM

Congratulations on hitting your pick

mountainman 10-02-2021 11:57 AM

tX!! Did you see Cole Tucker's catch?

Secondbest 10-02-2021 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 2757883)
tX!! Did you see Cole Tucker's catch?

i just looked at it. Good things happen when you hustle

Robert Fischer 10-07-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Secondbest (Post 2757881)
Congratulations on hitting your pick

Nice one Mark