Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   DRF price has ran the pikers out of the game. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168006)

porchy44 12-06-2021 05:59 AM

DRF price has ran the pikers out of the game.

At the Racebook I go to occasionally, they use to get printed track programs delivered daily. The cost of them were usually 2-3 dollars depending on the number of tracks included.

Since they stopped that. The printed Daily Racing Form is the only option.The cost now, is 9-11 dollars. Instantly I noticed a very steep decline in attendance at this Racebook. I do see some printing their own books now. But for most, old-timers using technology appear to be the exception, not the rule.

Tom 12-06-2021 12:26 PM

Even if you use technology, DRF charges the same for the internet version as they do for the printed one, even though there are no printing or shipping costs.

delfman 12-06-2021 12:34 PM

the DRF is most certainly a badly run business. But then so are most businesses, I assume. You only have to read a famous quote by frank zappa to know the reason for this.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

Robert Fischer 12-06-2021 08:03 PM

grew up on the Daily Racing Form.

now I do monthly TimeformUS, but I still occasionally purchase the DRF on-track, as a conspicuous Veblen good

Tom 12-06-2021 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delfman (Post 2771050)
the DRF is most certainly a badly run business. But then so are most businesses, I assume. You only have to read a famous quote by frank zappa to know the reason for this.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.
Frank Zappa

I thought you meant please don't eat the yellow snow! :lol:

westernmassbob 12-07-2021 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porchy44 (Post 2770969)

Since they stopped that. The printed Daily Racing Form is the only option.The cost now, is 9-11 dollars. Instantly I noticed a very steep decline in attendance at this Racebook. I do see some printing their own books now. But for most, old-timers using technology appear to be the exception, not the rule.

The steep decline at the brick and mortar race-books has been going on for 20 years. As these older fans die off there is nobody to replace them. I’ve not once had a conversation with a race book bettor who said they would never come back because the cost of DRF. The state of Connecticut has an operation called “ Winners” run by Sportstech gaming that has several racebooks/OTB’s. The horse players left are mostly betting off the board or using free entry and tip sheets. I will say there has been some new dead money coming in because they have legalized sports betting and these OTB locations now have sports betting machines.

One final thought about cost of DRF etc. My opinion is that if someone is willing to blow a few hundred betting on horses they should have no problem spending 9.00-11.00 buying a racing form. It’s comical that these types of degens exist. I use to have a friend who wouldn’t spend 3.00 on a cup of coffee at the OTB but would blow 50.00 on one race.

PaceAdvantage 12-07-2021 09:31 AM

I agree 100%.

It's kinda funny the lengths people will go to bitch about the price of PPs (either DRF or online or whatever).

If you're that financially strapped that paying for PPs causes you grief, maybe you shouldn't be gambling with such a tight budget.

Tom 12-07-2021 02:54 PM

Yeah, and look at all those fat people out there whining about the high cost of food.

burnsy 12-07-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delfman (Post 2771050)

Frank Zappa

I thought you were talking about dental floss salesman from Montana. Cause that’s what DRF is selling pretty much.

zico20 12-07-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westernmassbob (Post 2771387)
The steep decline at the brick and mortar race-books has been going on for 20 years. As these older fans die off there is nobody to replace them. I’ve not once had a conversation with a race book bettor who said they would never come back because the cost of DRF. The state of Connecticut has an operation called “ Winners” run by Sportstech gaming that has several racebooks/OTB’s. The horse players left are mostly betting off the board or using free entry and tip sheets. I will say there has been some new dead money coming in because they have legalized sports betting and these OTB locations now have sports betting machines.

One final thought about cost of DRF etc. My opinion is that if someone is willing to blow a few hundred betting on horses they should have no problem spending 9.00-11.00 buying a racing form. It’s comical that these types of degens exist. I use to have a friend who wouldn’t spend 3.00 on a cup of coffee at the OTB but would blow 50.00 on one race.

It would be fine if the DRF was $10 and you got all the tracks. However, when you need to buy two different ones to get the tracks you want to bet now you are looking at $20, times that by four and that is $80 a week just for forms which is $320 a month. That starts to add up.

CheckMark 12-07-2021 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zico20 (Post 2771618)
It would be fine if the DRF was $10 and you got all the tracks. However, when you need to buy two different ones to get the tracks you want to bet now you are looking at $20, times that by four and that is $80 a week just for forms which is $320 a month. That starts to add up.

I have no idea about this (since I am Canadian) but do you guys in the US get multiple editions of the DRF?

I have seen Am/Pm editions or Premium Players Editions (10 or so tracks) and also the Daily Racing Program (which more than 5+ tracks)

Up here in the great white north we only have 2 editons 1 is the DRF which usually has between 5-7 tracks depending on the weekday/weekend/event and the other is called Players Edition which I think you can only get at Woodbine and not 100% sure if it is still around since COVID

westernmassbob 12-07-2021 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=CheckMark;2771640]I have no idea about this (since I am Canadian) but do you guys in the US get multiple editions of the DRF?

At the Connecticut OTB I have only ever seen two editions. I guess the expense would take its toll if you are a small time gambler with a limited bank roll. Without the DRF though that is like building a house without a toolbox. Unless of course you rely on the track toutsters picks. As far as betting multiple tracks 4 times a week ? ( another poster eluded to this ) Wow that seems like a fast way to have to file bankruptcy. Of course maybe you are a two dollar better then the losses would not be so bad.

The_Turf_Monster 12-07-2021 08:31 PM

Now just imagine for that $11 if DRF could get its own stats correct like trainer performance on distance, surface, and class changes

thaskalos 12-07-2021 10:11 PM

Given the current competition for the gambling dollar, an industry has to be brain-dead to charge $11 for a pamphlet containing some basic handicapping information. Especially since the "Big Gorilla" of legalized betting has all its handicapping information available online for free.

Charging $11 for a DRF is akin to a restaurant charging $11 for a look at its menu...IMO.

the little guy 12-07-2021 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaskalos (Post 2771698)
Given the current competition for the gambling dollar, an industry has to be brain-dead to charge $11 for a pamphlet containing some basic handicapping information. Especially since the "Big Gorilla" of legalized betting has all its handicapping information available online for free.

Charging $11 for a DRF is akin to a restaurant charging $11 for a look at its menu...IMO.

DRF is an independent newspaper. Their price is not set by the Industry.