Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Richie Allen (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161991)

Valuist 12-08-2020 11:46 AM

Richie Allen

RIP. An amazing talent. Never forget how he took a 1972 White Sox rag tag bunch and contended with a great Oakland team. He also became an agent for Angel Cordero, and was instrumental in John Velasquez coming to NY from Puerto Rico.

oughtoh 12-08-2020 04:58 PM

Loved seeing him hit. Would always go early and watch batting practice when players like him were in town. It is hard to see all these baseball players that I watched years ago pass away. Guess I am just at that age. RIP

Marshall Bennett 12-08-2020 05:54 PM

Great hitter. RIP tough guy.

Wiley 12-08-2020 07:39 PM

I think Allen used a 40 or 42 ounce bat. I was always amazed at how fast he could turn on a ball with that club and even with a huge hitch in his swing. Great power hitter played one year with the Cardinals so got to see him play in a few live games. He did strikeout a lot too. RIP

rastajenk 12-09-2020 07:16 AM

I don't think I knew that part about his connection to racing.

Johnny V 12-09-2020 07:37 AM

Hated to see the guy come up to bat. Tore up my team. Played tough. Booed him all the time. Mucho respect. RIP. to a fine baseball player.

FakeNameChanged 12-09-2020 10:42 AM

Born in little Wampum, Pa. and never left there, just north of Pittsburgh. He hit some of the hardest balls I've ever seen hit, along with Greg Luzinsky and Willie Stargell.

garyscpa 12-09-2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged (Post 2682928)
Born in little Wampum, Pa. and never left there, just north of Pittsburgh. He hit some of the hardest balls I've ever seen hit, along with Greg Luzinsky and Willie Stargell.

Except for the time you stepped on that rake coming out of the sand trap.

ElKabong 12-13-2020 07:25 PM

that year he was carrying the sox I was a skinny 16yo wondering "how does a human get muscles like that"

Incredible specimen. When he wanted to, he could hit

FakeNameChanged 12-15-2020 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiley (Post 2682781)
I think Allen used a 40 or 42 ounce bat. I was always amazed at how fast he could turn on a ball with that club and even with a huge hitch in his swing. Great power hitter played one year with the Cardinals so got to see him play in a few live games. He did strikeout a lot too. RIP

And Greg Luzinski, who looked like a middle linebacker, off-season used one of the lighter bats IIRC. My BIL, who was a recognized baseball memorabilia expert around Philadelphia owned one or two of Ruth's bats. They were huge, with very thick handles, 42 oz., although he went lighter late in his career.