Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Science Is Settled; No Need for Any More Debate (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87620)

rastajenk 09-23-2011 08:51 AM

The Science Is Settled; No Need for Any More Debate

No, not another Global Warming thread!! :D

Is there anything faster than light? Of course not. But the linked article says, "not so fast, my friend."
Quote:

This is extremely shocking: CERN scientists using a 1300-ton particle detector have measured particles travelling faster than the speed of light. If confirmed, this discovery could invalidate Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity and revolutionize physics.
All Hail Science! :ThmbUp:

DJofSD 09-23-2011 08:58 AM

They've posted the data and have asked for comments.

Whether or not these results will challenge current models of quantum mechanics remains to be seen.

If it does find its way back to Einstein's initial theories, it will become the next level of insight, the next step in the evolution, not a complete dismissal. Newton's F=ma still works 99% of the time and so will the current application of Einstein's principals.

Actor 09-23-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

This is extremely shocking: CERN scientists using a 1300-ton particle detector have measured particles travelling faster than the speed of light. If confirmed, this discovery could invalidate Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity and revolutionize physics.
Actually, Einsteins theory does leave open the possibility of faster-than-light particles. Slower than light particles are called leptons, light particles are called lumons and faster than light particles are called tachyons. (Tachyon is a word you hear on Star Trek, but the writers of Star Trek did not make it up.) I gave a talk on tachyons when I was in college.

Einstein's theory says you cannot accelerate a lepton up to the speed of light because an infinite amount of energy would be required. A closer look at Einstein's math says that a you cannot decelerate a tachyon down to the speed of light because that too would require an infinite amount of energy.

The faster a lepton goes, the more energy it has. The faster a tachyon goes, the less energy it has. There is a possibility that a lepton might quantum leap from a velocity slower than light to a velocity faster than light, becoming a tachyon in the process, and detour around the infinite energy barrier. Anyone ever heard of warp drive?

DJofSD 09-23-2011 09:33 AM

There you go, some one else that understands more than the writer of the article. Good job.

hcap 09-23-2011 09:51 AM

According to relativity:

"In general relativity there are potential means of FTL travel, but they may be impossible to make work. It is thought highly unlikely that engineers will be building space ships with FTL drives in the foreseeable future, if ever, but it is curious that theoretical physics as we presently understand it seems to leave the door open to the possibility."

Furthermore,

There was a young lady named Bright, Whose speed was far faster than light. She went out one day, In a relative way, And returned the previous night

Robert Goren 09-23-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcap
According to relativity:

There was a young lady named Bright, Whose speed was far faster than light. She went out one day, In a relative way, And returned the previous night

I have meet some fast women in my time, but none quite that fast.

OTM Al 09-23-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Actor
Anyone ever heard of warp drive?

I always thought the idea of warp drive was one of bending space like folding a piece of paper so going from one edge to the other was a very small physical move though the effective distance travelled in the time required would effectively be faster than the speed of light. Thus the inability to travel faster than light is not violated. Concept I believe also outlined in the famous "Wrinkle in Time" novel.

classhandicapper 09-23-2011 12:40 PM

I'm believe that people often get the right answer for the wrong reason. It obviously happens all the time at the track, but I suspect it happens in science all the time too.

Greyfox 09-23-2011 01:00 PM

The discussion brings back memories of this one.

"There was a young lady named Bright,
whose speed was much faster than light.
She set off one day
in a relative way,
and returned on the previous night."

DJofSD 09-23-2011 01:13 PM

Foxey, I hate to break the news, but, hcap beat you to the punch on that little ditty.

hcap 09-23-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJofSD
Foxey, I hate to break the news, but, hcap beat you to the punch on that little ditty.

Considering the many theories of alternate universes, quite understandable :cool:

Greyfox 09-23-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJofSD

So he/she did. (Maybe that's why I was reminded of it. I probably saw it subliminally without direct reading.)

hcap 09-23-2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox
So he/she did. (Maybe that's why I was reminded of it. I probably saw it subliminally without direct reading.)

He/she accepts your excuse :lol:

so.cal.fan 09-23-2011 07:41 PM

This is fascinating!
I hope they do a special show on PBS or the Discovery Channel about it.
Someone posted on the article that it could mean something could be in two places at once???

Actor? Hcap? (our new designated scientists on board) Possible?

bigmack 09-23-2011 07:47 PM

As previously mentioned, how much stock can we put into the work of a man who would make such a horrific decision in footwear?

http://jonathanturley.files.wordpres...-28954jpg.jpeg