Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mike Watchmaker (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158391)

HPFridays 05-30-2020 12:54 PM

Mike Watchmaker

Anyone know what Mike Watchmaker is up to? It's been about a year since he, along with a few others were laid off by DRF. Just wondering if he's found another job in racing or retired or is doing something else?

Tom 05-30-2020 03:57 PM

I heard he is working for Bulova, in assembly.

:rolleyes::D

Seriously, looks like his last Tweet was back in July......

https://twitter.com/mike_watchmaker?lang=en

Redboard 05-30-2020 04:07 PM

I used to like the show that he and Matt Carothers did on Friday mornings on TVG, Blinkers Off. They would go over the big races for the upcoming weekend.

If Mike knew how to use a smart-phone camera, he could record his own show and run it on YouTube. I'd watch.

GaryG 05-30-2020 04:08 PM

I was also wondering about Matt Bernier. He was with TVG briefly. I guess I am in the minority, but I think he is a sharp handicapper.

HPFridays 05-30-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 2610614)
I was also wondering about Matt Bernier. He was with TVG briefly. I guess I am in the minority, but I think he is a sharp handicapper.

Good one, Gary, I'd be curious to know what Matt Bernier is up to as well. He seemed like an up and coming name with no frills picks and info on horses. I liked the guy when I some him on the broadcasts.

davew 05-30-2020 08:48 PM

it looks like Matt has a weekly podcast and on youtube as well as twitter. here is one from a couple days ago …

JustRalph 05-30-2020 08:49 PM

Marshall Bennett 05-30-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redboard (Post 2610613)
I used to like the show that he and Matt Carothers did on Friday mornings on TVG, Blinkers Off. They would go over the big races for the upcoming weekend.

I loved watching that. Don't think I ever missed a show.

v j stauffer 05-30-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redboard (Post 2610613)

If Mike knew how to use a smart-phone camera, he could record his own show and run it on YouTube. I'd watch.

I filled in for Matt a couple times on Blinkers Off. Mike could not have been nicer. It was really fun because since he's a tried and true New Yorker it was impossible to offend him. We'd take the gloves off and really fire back and forth with our opinions. After the show there was never any hard feelings. Loved it. Hope Mike is well and prospering and safe. Safety to all of you on this CRAY CRAY night.

Elkchester Road 05-31-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2610799)
I filled in for Matt a couple times on Blinkers Off. Mike could not have been nicer. It was really fun because since he's a tried and true New Yorker it was impossible to offend him. We'd take the gloves off and really fire back and forth with our opinions. After the show there was never any hard feelings. Loved it. Hope Mike is well and prospering and safe. Safety to all of you on this CRAY CRAY night.

Same to you, Vic. :)

DeoVolente 06-01-2020 10:17 PM

Nobody beats Vic Stauffer when analyzing a race and incorporating sheet mentality. I would go out of my way to listen when he was on.

Speed Figure 06-01-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryG (Post 2610614)

I've seen Matt on Horsetourneys a lot!

1GCFAN 06-01-2020 11:31 PM

Mike Watchmaker wrote once a few years ago that he hoped to retire and bet horses full time. I wasn't a fan of his selections but mine are pretty bad as well!

lamboguy 06-02-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v j stauffer (Post 2610799)

he's not from New York, he's from Boston.

metro 06-02-2020 09:17 AM

When Bernier was on TVG he flew to the west coast for the weekend gigs, obviously with so few tracks running the last couple of months there hasn't been a need for as many analysts. With most all of the major tracks resuming their racing hopefully it will open up opportunities for him.