Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Jockey ratings (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59641)

cj's dad 07-13-2009 11:47 PM

Jockey ratings

I think that there should be a rating above Apprentice and Journeyman which at present are the only 2 ratings for jocks which exist:

How about this idea? And I'm sticking my neck out here but why not? How could additional information possibly hurt? After all, wouldn't an additional jock's rating be helpful?

I believe that jockeys are tradesmen, much like carpenters, plumbers, etc... they serve apprenticeships. Those who are successful move on to Journeyman status.

My suggestion would be that there be one more rating level; that of Master Jockey.

Qualification for this ranking could be based on having achieved a given number of the following. perhaps 2 of 3:

1- total wins - 1000
2- total earnings $2 million
3-graded wins - 5

Accomplishing these levels would designate "MJ" after the jocks name

The apprentices would have an "A" while the journeymen would of course have a "J"

More information to have at one's fingertips while handicapping.

RockHardTen1985 07-14-2009 12:08 AM

How about a top 5 list ?

1. Ramon Dominguez

2. -

3. -

4. -

5. -

Ramon is all that matters.

post time 07-14-2009 12:15 AM

ratings

:2: -Garrett Gomez

kenwoodallpromos 07-14-2009 01:52 AM

How about-

How about just printing the total career wins for jockey and trainer beside the name on the PP's and programs?

cees with dees 07-14-2009 08:09 AM

Allen Jerkens was once asked if he thought one of his winners, I don't recall who, got a great ride.
Jerkens responded by saying "a monkey could have done the same thing".
He wins at a 20% plus clip year after year using people like Shannon Uske, Noel Wynter, Tyrone Carter, and just about every other female that crosses his path.
My point being and it's just my opinion from watching races and replays for over 30 years.
Rarely do I think the jockey makes much of a difference.
I'll give you two examples of riders that are high profile that I think are terrible.
Eibar Coa, who refuses to save ground under any circumstances and is dreadful out of the gate. And John Velazquez who rarely if ever shows up unless there is big money involved.
The best way to judge aside from the naked eye is to look at the percentage of legitmate contenders a rider gets and compare that to his win percentage.
Ben

toetoe 07-14-2009 12:58 PM

Dad,

I don't think it can be quantified like that. Example: Christian Santiago Reyes is one of the best right now. He probably has fewer than 100 wins, but he'll outride Paco Lopez, Kayla Stra, Jean-Luc Samyn or A.J. Davis ten times out of ten. How long he'll pay decent prices is the big question.

Greyfox 07-14-2009 01:05 PM

I'm happy with the status quo

1. We'd never agree on the ratings. One man's tea is another's poison.

2. I use the DRF. The w-p-s stats plus the win statistic is all I want.

Wickel 07-14-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cees with dees
Allen Jerkens was once asked if he thought one of his winners, I don't recall who, got a great ride.
Jerkens responded by saying "a monkey could have done the same thing".
He wins at a 20% plus clip year after year using people like Shannon Uske, Noel Wynter, Tyrone Carter, and just about every other female that crosses his path.
My point being and it's just my opinion from watching races and replays for over 30 years.
Rarely do I think the jockey makes much of a difference.
I'll give you two examples of riders that are high profile that I think are terrible.
Eibar Coa, who refuses to save ground under any circumstances and is dreadful out of the gate. And John Velazquez who rarely if ever shows up unless there is big money involved.
The best way to judge aside from the naked eye is to look at the percentage of legitmate contenders a rider gets and compare that to his win percentage.
Ben

That's why Jerkens is only a 20 percent trainer year in and year out, because of the Uskes, Wynters and Carters. If he used better riders, my guess is he'd be a 30 percent trainer, maybe more. If you do some research on his "giant-killer" type victories, most of his horses had the top jocks on board. And jocks, IMHO, are a key element in the winning process. After all, someone has to break the horse, rate him, keep him clear of trouble, etc. Sandy Hawley, for instance, was considered a great jockey on the West Coast, but everyone of his trips were wider than wide, costing him many victories. Jockey ratings would be useful to point, but they fail to take in the stuff you need for situational handicapping--good gate jock; aggresiveness, timing, etc.

toetoe 07-14-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickel
If he used better riders, my guess is he'd be a 30 percent trainer, maybe more.

Bad for Jerkens and owners, good for us. We still may get a huge price with Ray Ganpath. Ramon Dominguez at double digits ? Uh ... nah.

fmolf 07-14-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toetoe
Bad for Jerkens and owners, good for us. We still may get a huge price with Ray Ganpath. Ramon Dominguez at double digits ? Uh ... nah.

Cl's dad..a very interesting concept.The info i would like to see and would be a good indicator of jockey talent is what his win% is with the favorite.then his win % with horses under 5/1 and horse between 5/1 an 10/1..and last his % with horses over 10/1....i know these stats are available somewhere for sale.For me a jock better win with a higher than 33% clip with favs.He should also be better than most of his peers in the other categories.

cj 07-14-2009 05:59 PM

These are how I rate jockeys:

A) Usually doesn't screw it up
B) Usually doesn't fall off
C) They couldn't find anyone else

BUD 07-14-2009 06:07 PM

D-sent this to me- A Great idea I think- Hopefully he passes it to the DRF NRTA-NRA-ETC-

Its a great idea- I bet 100 bucks they ignore it-come out with the excact ranking system some time ater Xmas--

Good sh-t Sire!!

sobrenatural 07-14-2009 07:24 PM

Great reply...

cj's dad 07-14-2009 09:01 PM

This is all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Folks, my point is that in all crafts/trades there are levels of accomplishment which all craftsmen strive for. Recently graduated apprentices are lumped into the same category as seasoned journeymen. Fine- do that; that is the protocol in the craft trades. To assume that all journeymen are of the same caliber or level of ability is also a stretch I think. My proposal is simply that in a non-subjective manner, jockeys can be elevated to a status over and above journeyman; as in master jockey/rider.

Master plumbers, electricians etc... do not appreciate being put in the same category as journeymen and I know that from 1st hand experience.

Credit due is credit earned.

This will probably never happen, but there is no way that a journeyman jock at a minor track should be rated on the same level as a journeyman jockey at a major league track such as Belmont- Keeneland- Oaklawn etc...

rastajenk 07-14-2009 10:22 PM

I doubt if the jocks themselves think about it in those terms.