Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   dustin johnson gets screwed!! (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74158)

Zippy Chippy 08-15-2010 08:16 PM

dustin johnson gets screwed!!

Rules are rules but I don't see how that was a Bunker. Half the gallery was standing in it!

cj 08-15-2010 09:17 PM

Completely ridiculous ruling. Someone should have been helping this guy out if that was a bunker.

Tee 08-15-2010 09:41 PM

bigmack 08-15-2010 10:30 PM

I feel for the guy but they apparently went over this issue before the tournament. They had multiple signs up in the locker room, etc...all reminding players that because of the vast amount of bunkers that they should be extra careful about what is or is not a bunker, even when those in question are outside the roped-off areas.

Personally, I would have just kicked it out into the fairway and hoped no one noticed. :rolleyes:

rastajenk 08-16-2010 09:08 AM

The foot wedge has long been one of my most trusted weapons. :ThmbUp:

rrbauer 08-16-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
Completely ridiculous ruling. Someone should have been helping this guy out if that was a bunker.

Agree, and where was the rake? When they use phrases like: "Ball lies shall be played to be consistent with the intent of the course designer" it just smacks of CYA for a game that wants to be popular and modern yet it invokes arbitrary rulings that escape the bounds of common sense. And, how is anyone supposed to know the intent of the course designer?

falconridge 08-16-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmack
Personally, I would have just kicked it out into the fairway and hoped no one noticed. :rolleyes:

:D I'd have teed it up before taking a swipe at it with my 5-metal (ever go hunting for your ball deep in the forest primeval, only to find a tee nestled in the tall fescue? Hmmm ... :confused: ).

As I watched on the telly, I asked my wife--or, rather, remarked aloud to myself, since the trouble-and-strife never listens to me anyway--what Johnson was doing grounding his club in a sand bunker. When he did it with such impunity, and so obviously within view of the spectators and cameras, I decided that that patch of sand must have been designated a waste area, hence not subject to the restrictions and prohibitions of play from a bunker. Then, when the rules official approached DJ just after he'd holed out for an apparent bogey on the 72nd hole, I knew he'd been assessed a penalty. I didn't think there could be any debate about it; rather, the official was just doing Johnson the courtesy of informing him he'd made seven rather than five on the finishing hole, which spared Johnson the greater calamity of being disqualified for signing for a score lower than what he'd actually posted.

Sir Nick (Faldo), who was with Jim Nantz and other commentators in the CBS tower, had it right (of course!) when he said it were best never to ground your club on any patch of sand if there were any cause at all to suspect your ball might be within a hazard. Lamentable, yes; but the correct call.

On the other hand, I'd never be so Draconian if it were toetoe needing to get up and down from la playa to break 100. :cool:

horses4courses 08-16-2010 07:06 PM

The right call

I felt the call by the officials was inevitable.
The players had been warned about these situations on the course.
It should have occurred to Dustin Johnson to check with a nearby official.

You have to feel sorry for him, but rules are rules.

At least he didn't sink that putt on 18, and then thought he won.

That would have been even worse......

ldiatone 08-16-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmack
I feel for the guy but they apparently went over this issue before the tournament. They had multiple signs up in the locker room, etc...all reminding players that because of the vast amount of bunkers that they should be extra careful about what is or is not a bunker, even when those in question are outside the roped-off areas.

i also think he should have asked for one of the "rangers" to confirm it was a "bunker"