Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   F.I.U. pedestrian bridge collapse (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143779)

upthecreek 03-15-2018 02:53 PM

F.I.U. pedestrian bridge collapse

upthecreek 03-15-2018 02:55 PM

davew 03-15-2018 03:18 PM

that didn't last long - up for what? 5 days?

boxcar 03-15-2018 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davew (Post 2290434)
that didn't last long - up for what? 5 days?

The first question that entered my mind when I first learned about this was: Was this bridge constructed with imported Chinese steel?

woodtoo 03-15-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2290441)
The first question that entered my mind when I first learned about this was: Was this bridge constructed with imported Chinese steel?

Ditto.

davew 03-15-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2290441)

I was thinking heavy cement and illegal labor (no comprende English).

Tom 03-15-2018 04:05 PM

Just hearing on FOX another crane dropped some large blue object onto the top of the bridge. u can see the large crane with a dangling wire.

See the one pickup truck under the collapse just hitting behind the driver's cab - Mr. Lucky!

Prayers to all affected - this is a terrible disaster. You're just driving along or walking along and BAM! you're either dead or your life changed forever.

WPLG confirming there was a stress test going on for the
bridge. As they tightened a cable, the collapse occurred.

Is it wise to conduct a stress test on a structure effective in use with live people under it???? 18-20 cars under the rubble.

Marshall Bennett 03-15-2018 04:08 PM

They said they were conducting a stress test on new bridge. Looks like it failed. Sort of dumb not to reroute traffic during the test.
Poor people are still trapped. How sad!!

Tom 03-15-2018 04:23 PM

What a total TOOL Shep Smith is.
Get his worthless ass off the air and put a real announcer on.
This guy is not fit to run a campus radio channel.

boxcar 03-15-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2290464)
What a total TOOL Shep Smith is.
Get his worthless ass off the air and put a real announcer on.
This guy is not fit to run a campus radio channel.

What did Shep do now?

Tom 03-15-2018 05:13 PM

His unprofessional little snide remarks like, "I am told we have a 2 minute warning - but no one thought to tell me to what?

And "We are having continual freezing of the feeds because they coming to us from the internet. What amazing technology we have here."

And when there some background voices from another feed, I assume, he whines "I don't need to compete with that crap!"

Little child. I 'm sure everyone was scrambling to try to get the news on the air, but not to Shemp's standards.

Ass.

Clocker 03-15-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2290497)
Little child. I 'm sure everyone was scrambling to try to get the news on the air, but not to Shemp's standards.

Ass.

Standards are not a requirement for news readers. All that is required is that they read the news that is put in front of them. Other than that, they should be seen and not heard.

boxcar 03-15-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clocker (Post 2290500)
Standards are not a requirement for news readers. All that is required is that they read the news that is put in front of them. Other than that, they should be seen and not heard.

Well, I guess The Clock told you, Tom. :lol::lol:

Clocker 03-15-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxcar (Post 2290503)
Well, I guess The Clock told you, Tom. :lol::lol:

No, I pointed out that Shep, like many on TV, does not understand his role or his limitations.

davew 03-15-2018 07:19 PM

The bridge walkway was still under construction and not open to public for another month or so. There seems to be overkill on construction for a people overpass. There were 4-6 workers on top of the bridge. Some are saying there was supposed to be a center support that was not in place yet.

It reminds me of the I-5 interstate chunk that fell in the river near Mt Vernon, WA. A truck with an oversized load hit the corner of the overhead span and moved the center support enough for a freeway section to drop (which were just butt joints on top of a support).