Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Coronavirus: How is it affecting your life? (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156926)

Redboard 03-17-2020 10:33 AM

Coronavirus: How is it affecting your life?

The main coronavirus thread is getting a little long with multiple sub-topics about the situation. So I thought I’d create a thread dealing specifically about how the Coronavirus situation is affecting you personally, or your family, neighborhood, etc. Some of you have already posted this in the main thread, feel free to repost.

sandpit 03-17-2020 10:52 AM

I am sole proprietor travel agent, so it has really hit me hard in terms of cancellations and people making travel plans for the next few months.

RunForTheRoses 03-17-2020 11:12 AM

Working from home next two weeks but probably longer. I think I caught the bug, I've been sick the last 5 days, not deaths door but sluggish and achy, light cough light fever I guess (no thermometer). Its Paddy's Day and I don't even feel like drinking! But nothing too bad, may go get tested if I can.

Redboard 03-17-2020 11:25 AM

I live in a retirement community in central Florida of about 100k people, one of the largest such communities in the country. So far, no one here has tested positive , in fact, in Marion county and Sumter county(with a population total of about 450k) , where most of the community resides, there have been no positives yet. One positive in Lake county, another county where The Villages resides, had one positive yesterday by a woman, in her 60s, which is reported to be “travel-related.”

As of today, there are 131 cases in Florida with five deaths. Most of those are near Orlando and Miami, where most of the visitors go. Roughly 125 million out-of-state visitors come to Florida each year. Yes you read that number correctly .

Worship services on Sunday have been cancelled. Also, Wednesday meetings of the Classical Music club, which meets in one of the community’s recreation centers, have been cancelled. Besides those, my life has been affected very little so far. We rarely eat out at restaurants, so no problem there. We usually go to Starbucks a couple times a month, so that’s out. Went to the supermarket this morning. A lot of the shelves were empty but nothing we needed. Fortunately, my wife stocked up on paper towels/tissues before all this hit the fan.

Golf is a religion here, fortunately no golf courses or tennis clubs have been shut down or plan to. I usually play golf two times a week and tennis two times a week, no change there. The only difference with golfing is that people are now allowed to drive their own golf carts, normally, foursomes were only allowed two carts.

As I mentioned in another thread, we got back from a Caribbean cruise on March 1st , so there’s no great urge to travel again in the near future. Only trips that we have planned are for the summer. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Redboard 03-17-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses (Post 2574772)
…….I've been sick the last 5 days, not deaths door but sluggish and achy, light cough light fever I guess (no thermometer). Its Paddy's Day and I don't even feel like drinking! But nothing too bad, may go get tested if I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46n4GzJoEW4

Sorry to hear that! Back in the 90s I had Lyme disease for almost two years, and couldn't touch alcohol. Lyme affects one's live. If I did take a drink I felt like I was drinking Drano drain cleaner and felt toxic for days.

RunForTheRoses 03-17-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redboard (Post 2574781)
Sorry to hear that! Back in the 90s I had Lyme disease for almost two years, and couldn't touch alcohol. Lyme affects one's live. If I did take a drink I felt like I was drinking Drano drain cleaner and felt toxic for days.

That sucks. Lyme disease is very serious illness. I heard you get very sluggish and symptoms can be confused with other things.

chrisl 03-17-2020 11:47 AM

As of 12 am last night. San Francisco shut down 6 counties. Only essential workers. I have 3 large commercial development project in these counties. What is stopping work progress, is the city inspections. No city inspectors will be available, until April 7th as of now. Lot's of hard working men and women will be going home. Is this justified, I really do not have an opinion on that.

woodbinepmi 03-17-2020 12:31 PM

Baton Rouge has been shut down by the governor and the mayor.

Robert Fischer 03-17-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redboard (Post 2574746)
The main coronavirus thread is getting a little long with multiple sub-topics about the situation. So I thought I’d create a thread dealing specifically about how the Coronavirus situation is affecting you personally, or your family, neighborhood, etc. Some of you have already posted this in the main thread, feel free to repost.

I tried answering, but there were too many personal details, and it would appear schizophrenic to someone who did not know/believe/or have empathy for my situation.

Gonna change my answer to = it has made it worse.:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

OntheRail 03-17-2020 02:49 PM

Well some typhoid Terry decided to drive 50 miles to come to a planetfittness near me knowing he was sick. I just happened to be doing repair work at a gas station across the street from it. People can suck. As luck would have it I've been sick for a week now but starting to feel better.. yippy just the good old flu. I got a 6am call from the Board of Elections saying Gov canceled our Primary. And no toilet paper to be found from here to Erie Pa... what the hell. Also all none essential business are ordered closed.

That's how I've been...
Edited to add... in these trying times don't trust a fart��

barahona44 03-17-2020 04:22 PM

So far here where I live in Florida the Treasure Coast, central Atlantic side of the state, there hasn't been too much impact.Yes, there's panic buying but that seems to have subsided.It helps that it's been in the mid 80's,about 7-8 degrees above average the past week as viruses aren't conducive to warm weather.The three counties of the TC have declared a state of emergency but that is only to allow the counties access to special funding and to impose curfews and allow county wide emergency laws and regulations to take effect if it comes to that.No cases of Covid-19 in the area so far.

As for me personally, I try not to let things disrupt my life. I go out to get things done but am maintaining boundaries with others.I didn't do any panic buying of anything and I still plan on going on a cruise to Alaska in late August with my wife.That's more than 5 months away, I can't imagine things being out of hand by that time.

I'm still more concerned about the economic impact of this whole thing, as the several business owners on this site have attested to.

JustRalph 03-17-2020 08:11 PM

It’s bad. Really bad.

Laid off 45 employees this morning.

If this shit runs more than 2 weeks, I’ll be out of business.

MONEY 03-17-2020 08:41 PM

I need more toilet paper.

So far COVID 19 has not affected me financially.
If my kids get laid off it will cost me plenty, just like what Obamacare did to me.

Health-wise, I'm gaining weight.
I still go to the gym, but I'm spending too much time at home watching TV and eating.
One makes you stupid and the other makes you poop.

Another month living like this will make me into a stupid pooper,
just like I was when I was two years old.

tucker6 03-17-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2574973)
It’s bad. Really bad.

Laid off 45 employees this morning.

If this shit runs more than 2 weeks, I’ll be out of business.

As a small business owner myself, I feel for you Ralph. As it is, I own a home health agency in SC. We mainly do Medicaid. So far, few impacts but Im keeping a wary eye on changing rules and stampedes. I don’t know how some industries survive. The governor is shutting down bars and restaurants at midnight for two weeks. How can any business survive that? Rent doesn’t stop. Nor do utilities. Or bank loans. The airlines will get bailed out but what about the small business owners who are the backbone of our economy?

chrisl 03-17-2020 11:10 PM

Tucker so True!