Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   KY Downs gotta love it (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146859)

Afleet 08-21-2018 10:22 PM

KY Downs gotta love it

Kentucky Downs has lowered the takeout on its Pick 4 wager from 19 to 14% ahead of its upcoming boutique meeting. We want to be known as the horseplayers= racetrack,@ said C.J. Johnsen, Kentucky Downs= director of broadcasting and interstate wagering. In keeping with that goal, we felt a
reduction in our Pick 4 takeout was warranted. The low takeout
combined with our field size and quality should boost pool sizes
even more to make it one of the best and most attractive
wagers in racing. Jeff Platt, president of the Horseplayers Association of North
America, was pleased by the decision. I think thats awesome, said Platt. I'm at a loss for words, its that awesome. The Pick 4 is hugely popular among players,
insanely popular. Having a 14% Pick 4 is huge.

Kentucky Downs will race Sept. 1, 6, 8, 9 and 13 and will offer

jay68802 08-22-2018 03:02 AM

Wow, got to love it. I have always liked the Pick 4 as a player. Will play it every day they run. Wonder if they sell hats?

clicknow 08-22-2018 04:57 AM

when that survey about how many racetracks would still be open in the future, I would have named them as one. always liked this track.

Tom 08-22-2018 09:52 AM

If only they ran a few more days.

dilanesp 08-22-2018 10:32 AM

Their old name was better. "The Dueling Grounds".

Tom 08-22-2018 11:05 AM

Yeah, I liked that name. BANG! :D

For those of you who play KD, I recommend you go to Night School Archives and dig up the How to Play Kentucky Downs edition.
Extremely valuable information about how that track plays.
It was a year or two ago - I will post link later if I can find it.

trifecta 08-22-2018 11:14 AM

I used to live in Glasgow, Kentucky and went to Dueling Grounds/Kentucky Downs several times in the 90's. The track is located on a farm on the Kentucky-Tennessee border where duels occurred in the 1800's. Dueling was illegal in Tennessee, but not in Kentucky. Sam Houston allegedly took part in a duel there.

The track was purchased by Turfway and CD in 1997. They changed the name to Kentucky Downs.

Valuist 08-22-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 2358924)
Yeah, I liked that name. BANG! :D

For those of you who play KD, I recommend you go to Night School Archives and dig up the How to Play Kentucky Downs edition.
Extremely valuable information about how that track plays.
It was a year or two ago - I will post link later if I can find it.

The horses for courses angle has always been good at KD. Of course they only race a handful of days each year so there aren't too many candidates. But the course is so different from other US turf courses that any horse with a previous good race there is worth considering.

Tom 08-22-2018 03:24 PM

Night School Archive - Ky Downs

Milleruszk 08-22-2018 07:56 PM

Thanks for the link!:headbanger:

Thomas Roulston 08-24-2018 01:03 PM

But since there is no dirt course there, what do they do if there is like a foot of rain and the turf course is labeled "heavy"? It must have happened at least once in the track's history.

Elliott Sidewater 08-24-2018 01:25 PM

Yeah, that has happened before, and they just postponed to an open date in short meeting.

Tom 08-24-2018 03:49 PM

The have just lost days before.

castaway01 08-24-2018 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston (Post 2360022)
But since there is no dirt course there, what do they do if there is like a foot of rain and the turf course is labeled "heavy"? It must have happened at least once in the track's history.

They cancel.

Congrats to Kentucky Downs for cutting takeout, very player-friendly move.

trifecta 08-24-2018 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay68802 (Post 2358853)
Wow, got to love it. I have always liked the Pick 4 as a player. Will play it every day they run. Wonder if they sell hats?

I emailed Kentucky Downs from their website and asked where I could buy a hat. They responded two days later and said they would send me one. No charge.

Great customer service! And I don't even know anybody there. :ThmbUp: