Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - General (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Cat Problem (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143242)

elysiantraveller 02-09-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274242)
All you cat bashers are nothing but assholes.

It would be a dog-owner that's dumb enough to draw comparisons between the two animals. It's a total apples to oranges comparison...hope that's not too intellectual for ya'll to understand.

All in good fun. I've had cats. They are the real assholes. ;)

PaceAdvantage 02-09-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2274244)

OK, guess I was out of line...sorry

I've had three cats and loved them all dearly...even the one who was an asshole.

FantasticDan 02-09-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2274244)

:D Watch this viral video and tell me which species is "superior" :lol: ;)

Also wanted to note that I love dogs too, there's nothing better than a good dog and cat household.. :ThmbUp:

barahona44 02-09-2018 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274242)
All you cat bashers are nothing but assholes.

It would be a dog-owner that's dumb enough to draw comparisons between the two animals. It's a total apples to oranges comparison...hope that's not too intellectual for ya'll to understand.

Looks like I'm going to have to nix that "Benji Trilogy" DVD, I was going to get for your birthday.Luckily, "The Best of Felix the Cat" is still available. ;)

PaceAdvantage 02-09-2018 04:50 PM

I like dogs...don't get me wrong...:lol:

Some of their owners, on the other hand...:pound:

elysiantraveller 02-09-2018 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274261)
I like dogs...don't get me wrong...:lol:

Some of their owners, on the other hand...:pound:

#catsarepeopletoo

;)

Lemon Drop Husker 02-09-2018 05:17 PM

Never had a pet in my life.

I like dogs when I visit others, but cats are just awful.

Not sure I understand why I would want something in my home that will shit, pee, barf, and stink up the place other than myself.

davew 02-09-2018 05:33 PM

Maybe you could try something like this (but not sure what it would do to your dog)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultr...96db29a77fa945

PaceAdvantage 02-09-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker (Post 2274274)
Never had a pet in my life.

I like dogs when I visit others, but cats are just awful.

Not sure I understand why I would want something in my home that will shit, pee, barf, and stink up the place other than myself.

I have two cats and you would never know it in my house based on any odor...because there are no odors.

Dogs are apt to STINK way worse than any cat I've ever had. I've been around a lot of dogs...

Cats are pristinely clean...and if you have an automatic litter box, you don't even need to shove it in the basement to avoid any odors...the Litter Robot, while expensive, is fantastic...like I said, you would never know I had a cat, let alone two, based on stink.

JustRalph 02-09-2018 06:04 PM

I have a dog too.......

You can have both.......

:bang:

PaceAdvantage 02-09-2018 06:05 PM

I'm done with this thread before I get myself into more trouble...besides, I get the feeling I'm being trolled anyway...:lol:

johnhannibalsmith 02-09-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274300)
I'm done with this thread before I get myself into more trouble...besides, I get the feeling I'm being trolled anyway...:lol:

I don't think so. It seems to make sense if you ask me.

Lemon Drop Husker 02-09-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274300)

You have 2 cats.

What more does anybody need to "troll"?:pound:

https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/...n-tease_s0gkcp

PaceAdvantage 02-09-2018 07:36 PM

At least I know enough to use a resize button...

Lemon Drop Husker 02-09-2018 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274339)
At least I know enough to use a resize button...

I tried, but my cat paws got in the way. :)

PaceAdvantage 02-09-2018 07:51 PM

Quit trollin' me bro

Lemon Drop Husker 02-09-2018 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274346)
Quit trollin' me bro

Tom 02-09-2018 08:26 PM

The secret to getting along with cats is.......

........be smarter than the cat!

RunForTheRoses 02-09-2018 08:28 PM

Track Collector 02-10-2018 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage (Post 2274286)
I have two cats and you would never know it in my house based on any odor...because there are no odors.

Dogs are apt to STINK way worse than any cat I've ever had. I've been around a lot of dogs...

Cats are pristinely clean...and if you have an automatic litter box, you don't even need to shove it in the basement to avoid any odors...the Litter Robot, while expensive, is fantastic...like I said, you would never know I had a cat, let alone two, based on stink.

My wife and I have 4 (indoor) cats. We do not have Litter Robot, but here are a few more factors which helps our home to be relatively odor free:

--- We have a continuously running ceiling exhaust fan in the laundry room where the five litter boxes are.
--- We use a premium brand of kitty litter. (Scoop Away Multi-Cat Super Clump Low Dust ).
--- We only feed our cats high-quality (dry) cat food. (Hills Science Diet products).

The Hills Science Diet is significantly more expensive than typical cat food products, but our feline family is much more healthy because of it. And, because it does not include some of the ingredients found in much cheaper brands of cat found found in supermarkets, I am of the opinion that the resultant poop has a significantly less offensive odor to it.

Tom 02-10-2018 09:27 AM

Ah ha!
Maybe I better cut out the pickled herring.

Inner Dirt 02-10-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocala Mike (Post 2274136)
I'm with Ralph. Almost every cat I ever owned (and I'm a crazy cat man) was a rescued stray or feral. They make the best companions, and I never see a mouse or rat around the barn.

The cat I have now used to kill mice that managed to get in the house, now she just plays with them. At least she flushes them out and I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty lame cat needing help from a human to catch mice.

PaceAdvantage 02-10-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2274531)
The cat I have now used to kill mice that managed to get in the house, now she just plays with them. At least she flushes them out and I scoop them up and toss them outside. Pretty lame cat needing help from a human to catch mice.

My cats are the same way...the two mice I've seen the last few years...they were "playing" with it...not killing or trying to eat it...

Them I just pick them up with a hand towel and take them outside and drop them off a few blocks away...lol

boxcar 02-10-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner Dirt (Post 2274531)

Simple solution for your "lame cat": Cut back on her food. :coffee:

Clocker 02-11-2018 01:49 AM

Cross posted from the Winter Olympics thread;

https://i.imgur.com/gGkMUx9.gif

jay68802 02-11-2018 12:09 PM

After reading some responses here I had a memory surface. A while back, one of the local golf courses had a badger problem. The manager had bought some large live traps to catch the badger. I called him and he let me use those traps. I also called my uncle who lives on the family farm and asked if he or any one he knew needed a cat. Bottom line is that this morning three cats were moved to local farms, and I can move 4 or 5 more if needed. The neighbor saw me doing this and came unglued, until he realized that the cats were going to homes that will care for them. Now all that is left is to convince him to stop putting out food. The perches on the roof are going to stay, I sort of like the Great Horned Owl who has became a nightly visitor.

Fager Fan 02-11-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay68802 (Post 2275213)
After reading some responses here I had a memory surface. A while back, one of the local golf courses had a badger problem. The manager had bought some large live traps to catch the badger. I called him and he let me use those traps. I also called my uncle who lives on the family farm and asked if he or any one he knew needed a cat. Bottom line is that this morning three cats were moved to local farms, and I can move 4 or 5 more if needed. The neighbor saw me doing this and came unglued, until he realized that the cats were going to homes that will care for them. Now all that is left is to convince him to stop putting out food. The perches on the roof are going to stay, I sort of like the Great Horned Owl who has became a nightly visitor.

That's a very good solution. Applause.

I feed cats outside which means I also have some raccoons and possums who visit. I also put out some deer feed sometimes. I enjoy watching them. They don't hurt anything (and I live on acreage).

elysiantraveller 02-11-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fager Fan (Post 2275289)
That's a very good solution. Applause.

I feed cats outside which means I also have some raccoons and possums who visit. I also put out some deer feed sometimes. I enjoy watching them. They don't hurt anything (and I live on acreage).

Cats are brutal on bird and small mammal populations.

Marshall Bennett 02-12-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2275439)

I think their primary purpose in being on earth is to kill and harass squirrels.

JustRalph 02-12-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2275439)

Small mammals? Like what?

elysiantraveller 02-12-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustRalph (Post 2275580)
Small mammals? Like what?

Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums, Mice, Moles.

All kinds of stuff.

Cats are insanely effective predators. Domesticated (House) cats are the worst because they aren't predators just killers.

My only real thing with cats is if you have them just keep them inside. That would apply to about 95% of cat owners. People with barns and livestock are a little different but overall they are bad for the environment.

Fager Fan 02-12-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2275601)
Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums, Mice, Moles.

All kinds of stuff.

Cats are insanely effective predators. Domesticated (House) cats are the worst because they aren't predators just killers.

My only real thing with cats is if you have them just keep them inside. That would apply to about 95% of cat owners. People with barns and livestock are a little different but overall they are bad for the environment.

I'm pretty sure it's a rare possum that gets killed by a cat. My cats definitely don't mess with the possums are raccoons, they all seem to choose to live peacefully out there together The possums are definitely two or three times the weight of the cats.

Ocala Mike 02-12-2018 12:54 PM

I've lost several barn cats to coyotes. Payback's a bitch in the jungle down here.

FantasticDan 02-12-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fager Fan (Post 2275606)
I'm pretty sure it's a rare possum that gets killed by a cat. My cats definitely don't mess with the possums are raccoons, they all seem to choose to live peacefully out there together The possums are definitely two or three times the weight of the cats.

I agree, I've always been amused by how possums, raccoons, and cats all seem to have a strong mutual respect system in place. Sometimes they've even been downright friendly! :ThmbUp:

elysiantraveller 02-12-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocala Mike (Post 2275611)
I've lost several barn cats to coyotes. Payback's a bitch in the jungle down here.

Coyotes should be killed, by any means available, whenever encountered.

FantasticDan 02-12-2018 01:31 PM

We live on the outskirts of a town and I used to see rabbits all the time, especially in the evening. Then, about 10 yrs ago, I started seeing less of them. Now I don't think I've even seen one in five years. It's so strange.

Chalking it up to foxes. We see quite a lot of them. We only hear the coyotes..

Fager Fan 02-12-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticDan (Post 2275616)
I agree, I've always been amused by how possums, raccoons, and cats all seem to have a strong mutual respect system in place. Sometimes they've even been downright friendly! :ThmbUp:

I usually see the raccoons and possums separately, but one night I looked out and I had a raccoon eating out of one bowl, a possum eating out of the other, and the cat laying about 3 feet from them snoozing.

Fager Fan 02-12-2018 02:20 PM

Cute story. Raccoons if they can will wash thoroughly what they eat before eating. For any who don't know, they eat with their paws. A friend had a pet raccoon when he was a kid, and they got a kick out of giving the raccoon sugar cubes, watching him vigorously wash the cube, then be puzzled when he looked at his paws and nothing was there.

Marshall Bennett 02-12-2018 04:10 PM

Cats seldom win out with any animal that's not protecting itself. Mice perhaps run the greatest risk. Tree squirrels here torture my neighbor's cat by teasing it, coming within 6 ft. of her, then dashing up a tree. They know all well the cat will only climb perhaps 8 or 10 ft. and retreat. I've never heard of a cat attacking a possum or raccoon. That likely would be a mistake. Small dogs or other cats wondering on their territory may be at risk. Cats are generally left to roam freely by law because they're virtually little risk to anyone. They're messy, but so are many humans.

Ocala Mike 02-12-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elysiantraveller (Post 2275620)
Coyotes should be killed, by any means available, whenever encountered.

Yes, and the almost universally armed populace around me does a pretty good job with this, but not 100%. A neighbor down the road from me killed one and hung its carcass up on his fence for a few days - supposedly, this runs the rest of them off.