Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Betting Exchange Does It Again (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91864)

usedtolovetvg 02-23-2012 11:40 PM

Betting Exchange Does It Again

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...-years/991432/

Our guys are so much more devious over here. Bring in Betfair! The crooks are licking there licks.

David-LV 02-24-2012 12:27 AM

You will read about a betting scam a week if they ever let this type of betting come to the United States.

hencicleva 02-24-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David-LV
You will read about a betting scam a week if they ever let this type of betting come to the United States.

Much better to hide the corruption within the parimutuel so we don't have to read about it I guess.

cj 02-24-2012 09:47 AM

Exactly, Betfair actually does a good job and assists in catching the crooks.

AndyC 02-24-2012 10:21 AM

Most people can't even recall the last time a trainer was caught in a scam when the tote was involved. Why? because it is so darn easy to cheat through the tote and not get caught. The fact that a trainer got caught proves that the exchanges work and provide an audit trail to catch the cheaters.

PhantomOnTour 02-24-2012 10:33 AM

So the cheaters will continue to do it through the tote, right?
How is exchange wagering going to expose them?

JBmadera 02-24-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyC
Most people can't even recall the last time a trainer was caught in a scam when the tote was involved. Why? because it is so darn easy to cheat through the tote and not get caught. The fact that a trainer got caught proves that the exchanges work and provide an audit trail to catch the cheaters.

can you expound upon this a bit more, I'm confused....... :eek:

thank you!

cj 02-24-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
So the cheaters will continue to do it through the tote, right?
How is exchange wagering going to expose them?

The same way it did here. When things look funny on the exchange, it is investigated. It is a bit easier than it is with parimutuel betting to identify who profited. I'm not saying that it is perfect, of course not, but it isn't as easy to cheat as some would have you believe. People are watching.

PhantomOnTour 02-24-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
The same way it did here. When things look funny on the exchange, it is investigated. It is a bit easier than it is with parimutuel betting to identify who profited. I'm not saying that it is perfect, of course not, but it isn't as easy to cheat as some would have you believe. People are watching.

But if the cheaters stay in the pari mutuel pools what is gonna look funny on the exchange?
Nothing.

Stay out of the exchanges and it's biz as usual right?

cj 02-24-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
But if the cheaters stay in the pari mutuel pools what is gonna look funny on the exchange?
Nothing.

Stay out of the exchanges and it's biz as usual right?

Of course the difference is you can bet horses to lose in the exchange, that is where people get caught.

classhandicapper 02-24-2012 11:13 AM

I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time in the parimutuel pools also. Instead of laying the horse, they just bet on someone else, leave him off in the multi race tickets, or box some of the other contenders. It's not as neat as booking a bet on a horse you know will lose (potentially at a higher price to tempt more people to bet him), but the end result is the same and there's not much evidence of wrong doing. On the exchange, they can at least see if there was a lot of extra money available on that specific horse.

pondman 02-24-2012 11:41 AM

There are a hundred ways to intentionally lose a race. But you aren't going to know. It's a daily thing at mountaineer.

There are fewer ways to win. Occasionally there is cooperation in the U.S.-- passing the hat around to pay the electric bill. Excluding drug testing, this is difficult to catch.

Don't know what this has to do with exchange betting, unless the connections are actively betting on the exchange. It's not going to clean up the game any.

AndyC 02-24-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBmadera
can you expound upon this a bit more, I'm confused....... :eek:

thank you!

How does a trainer use the exchange to make a score? He can't bet himself because that is illegal. He can't use a friend because that would be too obvious. He can't use a person who doesn't have a history of betting large amounts on the exchange. So he must have a co-conspirator who he doesn't have a clear link with. Sounds easy, huh?

As I pointed out previously, give me one race per week where I knew that a favorite would run out of the money and I would be retiring to my own island in the Caribbean. All because of the tote.

Robert Goren 02-24-2012 01:19 PM

I don't why anybody would think that parimutuel pools and exchange betting can co-exist. I am pretty sure one or the other would die off pretty quick.

usedtolovetvg 02-24-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
Of course the difference is you can bet horses to lose in the exchange, that is where people get caught.

The question is whether or not Betfair chooses to expose all those races that appear questionable. I have read that some on the European boards wonder whether or not they do this. Also since Betfair has their own bots on their own exchange, is there anyone naive enough to believe that Betfair would expose a crooked race if it worked to their advantage.